relocating rear suspension on 03 suumit zx

YKX

Reaction score
Would like to put a longer and bigger track in the machine. How do you move back the suspension to accommodate a longer/bigger track??? Is there any specific measurements??? Thanks for the help.

YKX

YKX

Reaction score
Was thinkin of going to a 151. Been having a hard time getting a 144 and the polaris tracks are soft. Like the skidoo tracks better. I have read that it is possible to move the trafck back, but I am not to sure on how to do that, or if there is a template. Thanks

YKX

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
I think for what you are wanting to do, it will be easiest to just get rail extensions and leave the skid in the stock location....

YKX

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for your help. Dont need a headache right now.... Winter on its way out

YKX

Reaction score
I think that is the plan for my 03 zx 800. Wait for summer.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinkin of going to a 151. Been having a hard time getting a 144 and the polaris tracks are soft. Like the skidoo tracks better. I have read that it is possible to move the trafck back, but I am not to sure on how to do that, or if there is a template. Thanks

YKX

Actually, its not that bad to move it back and it will greatly improve your approach angle which helps you float on the snow. You will only need a 3.5" setback on that sled from the 144 to the 151. I built both my mod sleds like this (one is a 144" Mach Z suspension setback for a 151 track and the other is a 151 Sno Pro suspension setback for a 156" track). If you are waiting til summer anyway, I would do the setback if it was me.

The key is to keep the front location close to the same paralell and drop the rear a bit, but keeping the same geometry as close to original (basically meaning you want to keep the track flat on the ground sitting static and have an decreased approach angle). Apart from drilling some holes, making up some new drop brackets for the rear and putting a tunnel extension on, that's basically it.

Its more work but has a larger benefit in the end. Also, by just adding extensions to the rails, you are putting more leverage on the rear scissor arm, meaning that it will act like a softer suspension as the area behind the rear scissor arm now has more leverage (fulcrum point has been moved forward in effect). Lots of people have to go buy heavier springs for the rear once they do extensions since the additional leverage makes the suspension act almost too soft. If you don't go to a heavier spring, you will sag more because of it and end up dragging more in the snow. The only drawback to the setback is the added labour up front.

YKX

Reaction score
Modman, Thanks a bunch. That was the answer i was looking for. Great idea for the summer.

YKX

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree fully with modman, the job is not that bad, I used a combination of extension and slide back to go from 136 to 151. Mesure carefully drill pilot holes and measure again. Also go to a 16" wide while you got it all apart.

vpfuelman

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
in the 03 zx chassis the suspension is already moved back factory , they used a 144 skid on the 151 track so then you should do rail extensions , to make it easiest ..

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in the 03 zx chassis the suspension is already moved back factory , they used a 144 skid on the 151 track so then you should do rail extensions , to make it easiest ..

I'm confused - So for the 144 sleds they used the 144 in a more forward position if I understand correct? So why not just find an 03 with a 151, measure the spacing to the rear, order the Doo rear brackets and bolt it in. Probably take about as much time as installing rail extensions but with greater benefits. :) Plus, if you have a mock sled to work from, all measurements should be already there for you no?

Top Bottom