Reliable Walkie Talkies

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never thought I would be in a position where I needed my walkie talkies and they didn't work. I charged and tested them prior to our ride this past weekend and all seemed to work OK. My kid and carry them in our packs just incase. Not a good situation to have a failure. Need to find a good set that work and get some distance. :eek::eek: Thanks!!

sledidiot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get garmin and your good! better yet 530 rhino and if separated you can backtrac to truck! yes pricey but life is to! added benifit most of the other talkies are able to link to them in chatter mode!

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
we use icom progamable radios works great, if dad or I were up riding and wernt in a gully or anything, we could reach town with them

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get garmin and your good! better yet 530 rhino and if separated you can backtrac to truck! yes pricey but life is to! added benifit most of the other talkies are able to link to them in chatter mode!

DIDO, I luv our 530's, get the ones out of the US bigger wattage 5w vs 3w I think. gps,friend tracker,compass,weather warning,altimeter, oh ya and wakie talkie.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rhino is no doubt the best but $500 each is a bit pricy. I've used the Cobra FRS and the Motorola FRS and the they both perform pretty much the same....crappy! The Motorolas I'm using now are rated for 30kms.....YEAH RIGHT! One to two kms at best. Apparently snow is the worst thing for radio communications....something about it absorbs the signal??? In my experience, with any FRS is don't depend on them for any distance greater than one km.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I said in previouse posts about radios the best ones I have used are hand held programable vhf radios , That way you can program in local seach and rescue channels and logging company channels when useing there roads . You can pick them up for 150 to 400 dollars on ebay , The wattage depending on brand is 5-8 watts . I have 2 kenwoods with 60 channels in each one they are 5 watt rang is 5 - 10 miles depending on elavation and terraine and the batteries are good for 6-10 hors depending on how much you talk . If you have a truck with a vhf you could talk to your friends from a stageing area . just my :twocents:

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
I have this:

Cabela's Bubba GXT991VP1 Hunters' Pack

22 channels
Backlit LCD
eVox allows hands-free operation
Hi/Med/Low switchable power and battery life extender

4 radios, hands free kit, carry bag $159.00

Never had an issue, with good range.

Top Bottom