Release of Sturgeon into the Kootenay River

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool pic's sturgeon are a really neat fish I spend quite a bit of time in the pursuit of catching them. Had some buddies go down to the Columbia last year during the season where you could keep some, they are really tasty :d

Nothing personel...but it saddens me anyone kills this majestic fish

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They are majestic that's for sure. So unique.:d Conservation guys did a great job with the kids, teaching them so much about the Sturgeon's life cycles and habitat.

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score

I can understand that but I'm sure fish and game have done studies and have reached a decision that a few have to be harvested in order to maintain the quality of the breeding stock. If i remember right the fish have to be over 6 foot and and 6 to 10 years old thy also spawn up to a million eggs. they only ones that are kept and harvested are juvenile fish

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. Sturgeon are a very fascinating fish. It is too bad we had to dam the Columbia watershed so much. Can you imagine how many massive old Sturgeon we used to have here. It sure would have been great to see the salmon run all the way here too. They use to run all the way up to Columbia Lake near Canal Flats. I have heard the Salmo river (previously know as the Salmon River) used to have one of the largest salmon runs in North America. The bull River Hatchery is a cool place to check out.

It's neat to know the history of this area's waters. I came to BC in 2001, so it's been a great adventure. Always wondered about the Salmo river.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. Sturgeon are a very fascinating fish. It is too bad we had to dam the Columbia watershed so much. Can you imagine how many massive old Sturgeon we used to have here. It sure would have been great to see the salmon run all the way here too. They use to run all the way up to Columbia Lake near Canal Flats. I have heard the Salmo river (previously know as the Salmon River) used to have one of the largest salmon runs in North America. The bull River Hatchery is a cool place to check out.

The Columbia is the most Dammed water shed in North America. Both countries are to blame for it's demise, yet power generation is critical for human survival. I travel the length of the Columbia often to our Family house at Astoria Oregon....I marvel at it's beauty still..I wonder what it used to look like. I stop at Bonnyville to see the beautiful gardens and Harvey the Sturgeon. Salmon still inhabit the Columbia in Canada..just in the form of Kokanee. Norns Creek in Castlegar has fish of incredible size for a landlocked Sockeye. The Columbia and the history of Lewis &Clarke and Thompson tells us incredible stories about the Sturgeon when the Columbia was first discovered.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can understand that but I'm sure fish and game have done studies and have reached a decision that a few have to be harvested in order to maintain the quality of the breeding stock. If i remember right the fish have to be over 6 foot and and 6 to 10 years old thy also spawn up to a million eggs. they only ones that are kept and harvested are juvenile fish

Yes we have trusted them in the past and have been very disappointed. I'am not saying your wrong, but I've been part of a Sturgeon research team and the monsters are gone[fish over 15 ft] for the most part. I have friends who guide on the lower Columbia and they agree.

hey AJ are you the one who posted the Rainbow Trout pics in the head waters of the snake on snowest.If you are it's samurai the guy who asked you all the question on where that was.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a deep water diver who did work on the Ainsworth that sank. He is one of the few who has dived the deep waters of Kootenay Lake. He said it was so creepy, when he was least expecting it a huge sturgeon would come out of the dark water and bump him. Creeped him out.

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
Yes we have trusted them in the past and have been very disappointed. I'am not saying your wrong, but I've been part of a Sturgeon research team and the monsters are gone[fish over 15 ft] for the most part. I have friends who guide on the lower Columbia and they agree.

hey AJ are you the one who posted the Rainbow Trout pics in the head waters of the snake on snowest.If you are it's samurai the guy who asked you all the question on where that was.

Lol small world yea that's me :d I remember that laughed along time about that :beer: ya still planing on making sushi out of him?
Yea i agree the big fish are gone as well as the salmon and steel head numbers that was once. I remember as a kid seeing salmon everywhere in Stanley Idaho in the early 70's I sure miss that I really miss the kokanee. But like you said sometimes even there best intentions fail.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Snotterite, do know anything about the great big sturgeon ball that happend on the columbia? I think it was a cluster of hundreds of them clustered together for days somewhere just above one of the dams. Possibly the Brilliant Dam?.. I don't think it was that long ago.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol small world yea that's me :d I remember that laughed along time about that :beer: ya still planing on making sushi out of him?
Yea i agree the big fish are gone as well as the salmon and steel head numbers that was once. I remember as a kid seeing salmon everywhere in Stanley Idaho in the early 70's I sure miss that I really miss the kokanee. But like you said sometimes even there best intentions fail.

Awesome good to talk to you again. Well I'am not gonna make sushi out of Him ,but surer than chit I'll be going there next winter. Showed the Warden your pictures and She said Book It.

Are you still sledding?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Snotterite, do know anything about the great big sturgeon ball that happend on the columbia? I think it was a cluster of hundreds of them clustered together for days somewhere just above one of the dams. Possibly the Brilliant Dam?.. I don't think it was that long ago.

I heard it was beneath Waneta where the Pend oreille dumps into the Columbia just before the border. I have been in the radio boat that tracks the tagged sturgeon.....at spawning it's blinking like the starship enterprise dash board. Sturgeon spawn in very fast water...their eggs very sticky and cling to the substrate. This is the only protection for the eggs.
This is the major problem with the Sturgeon they have no spawning habitat. The Columbia is a wide powerful river but the deep extremely torrent water is gone with all the dams in place. If you look at the white churning water below the dams thats where they are forced to spawn now. It took 3/4 of throttle with my twin 400's to hold above their spawning redds.

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
Awesome good to talk to you again. Well I'am not gonna make sushi out of Him ,but surer than chit I'll be going there next winter. Showed the Warden your pictures and She said Book It.

Are you still sledding?

cool you will have a great time island park is my favorite place to ride. we did out last ride last weekend its getting up in the 80's here now and there isnt lots of snow left :( good to talk to you too
Here is a little info on the sturgeon ball

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cool you will have a great time island park is my favorite place to ride. we did out last ride last weekend its getting up in the 80's here now and there isnt lots of snow left :( good to talk to you too
Here is a little info on the sturgeon ball

Maybe we will see you down there next year.....:beer::beer:'s on me
Thanks for the link...I wonder how many of these occurances happen on the Columbia....the river is so massive.
Have you been to the Bonneville hatchery......my wife calls it Bonneville Heavan

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
Maybe we will see you down there next year.....:beer::beer:'s on me
Thanks for the link...I wonder how many of these occurances happen on the Columbia....the river is so massive.
Have you been to the Bonneville hatchery......my wife calls it Bonneville Heavan

Nope if you come to Idaho the beer is on me :nono: I haven't been there but Hoping to go to Winchester bay this year for dune fest and i want to take some extra time and see some sights on the way there.
PS I'm still sorry for the thread jacking Sleddingmom :trustme:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope if you come to Idaho the beer is on me :nono: I haven't been there but Hoping to go to Winchester bay this year for dune fest and i want to take some extra time and see some sights on the way there.

Hee hee. Like I said before AJ, it's all good. I love the dialogue. Very interesting and informative.:d:d:d

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's incredible..the transision from the desert like conditions just change to a rain forest as you enter the Columbia Gourge.
I'll stay in contact with you it would be great to have some one there to help me catch that Rainbow Trout......take pics and then release her.:d

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
It's incredible..the transision from the desert like conditions just change to a rain forest as you enter the Columbia Gourge.
I'll stay in contact with you it would be great to have some one there to help me catch that Rainbow Trout......take pics and then release her.:d

There are a lot of places like that here too but i have always that area even tho I have only been there twice, yea I know i need to get out of Idaho more lol :d you bet and let me know if i can be of any help when you get ready to plan the trip :beer: that fish has been there the last 3 years so its all yours :wtg: good night and it was great to talk to ya again

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Great field trip for the Fam Mom :d :beer: :) Here's a picture or two of my Sturgeon trip last year

Attachments

• HPIM1093.jpg
    HPIM1093.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • HPIM1131.jpg
    HPIM1131.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 22
  • HPIM1138.jpg
    HPIM1138.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 21
  • HPIM1094.jpg
    HPIM1094.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 22

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow them are some huge fish al right, must have been a hell of a fight to get them in. :d:d

Top Bottom