Release of Sturgeon into the Kootenay River

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today the kids and I went to the old Ferry landing on the Kootenay River, near Creston BC, to release baby sturgeon. Was a fun day, and the Kids learned alot!

Baby Sturgeon in the Live Well

Bucket of Babies

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are the kids putting the Sturgeon into the Kootenay River

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the Fish truck

And here is a picture of a picture of a baby sturgeon's mouth.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome....why no invite:(:(:(
I was hired to catch sturgeon on the Columbia at the Fort Shepard hole near Trail B.C.. B.C. hydro and R.R&L tagged and took research samples from the fish we captured. It was in conjunction with their spawning studies.
Facinating fish

I repeat...why no invite:(

were those fish raised at the BULL River hatchery?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats awesome....why no invite:(:(:(
I was hired to catch sturgeon on the Columbia at the Fort Shepard hole near Trail B.C.. B.C. hydro and R.R&L tagged and took research samples from the fish we captured. It was in conjunction with their spawning studies.
Facinating fish

I repeat...why no invite:(

were those fish raised at the BULL River hatchery?

You are always invited Snotty! Same time same place next year! I'll have to check on the hatchery but it would make sense to come from the Bull River Hatchery. Kids like visiting there too! (makes me salivate).
I had friends that owned a home by Sanca Creek. Sturgeon used to come into their cove. Kind of freaky when a big shadow swims beneath you!
I promise I will remember to invite you next year.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are always invited Snotty! Same time same place next year! I'll have to check on the hatchery but it would make sense to come from the Bull River Hatchery. Kids like visiting there too! (makes me salivate).
I had friends that owned a home by Sanca Creek. Sturgeon used to come into their cove. Kind of freaky when a big shadow swims beneath you!
I promise I will remember to invite you next year.

Thank You I wil attend foresure.
Full moon on the Columbia....fish from 100 to 500 lbs completly breaching water in the Fort Shepard Eddy...spooky and awesome.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank You I wil attend foresure.
Full moon on the Columbia....fish from 100 to 500 lbs completly breaching water in the Fort Shepard Eddy...spooky and awesome.

That would be so cool! :cool::cool::cool: Any Pics?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be so cool! :cool::cool::cool: Any Pics?

How do you post pics that are on negatives, can it be done?
If you search you can find 2 TV shows I did with Don Lamont and TJ Swanky. Don Lamont had the fishing show the Complete Angler we land a decent 275lb. fish....TJ filmed with us on the Columbia for Sturgeon and also on Kootenay Lake for Gerrads....The day on the Koot was spectacular.
In both shows the sturgeon jump out of the water when hooked.
Luck never worked out that our real big fish made the TV days.

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats total awsome im glad the kiddy-boppers had fun. good that they got the learn to joy of giving back to the waters too. wish i had a little one, would love to get involved with stuff like that.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you search you can find 2 TV shows I did with Don Lamont and TJ Swanky. Don Lamont had the fishing show the Complete Angler we land a decent 275lb. fish....TJ filmed with us on the Columbia for Sturgeon and also on Kootenay Lake for Gerrads....The day on the Koot was spectacular.

post a linky, lets see the fisherman in action

very kool sledmom, I like all the pics, them fishies are kinda ugly:d
in chestermere the slew shark is known to kill a few each year....

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Snotty, you may be the coolest guy I know! A fishing show! Wowee! 275lbs! Wow!:d:d

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Kool Pics Sleddingmom! Looks like the kids had a great time!

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sturgeon can get to be very large fish. My Grandma has a picture from back in the 40's of a HUGE sturgeon being pulled out of the South Saskatchewan river by a team of Belgian horses. Very cool picture - will try to find it and scan it next time I am back in Sask. Can't recall what the fish scaled in at but a big group of men couldn't get it out of the river. They caught it on a cable dead line with whole chickens as bait.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ya, that is cool mom..... I remember pics one of my uncles has of fishing somewhere in manitoba, and he landed a 750lb. About 30 years ago. He said the water was thick with them, and they used a small tractor to pull the sturgeon out...... They used to keep them for food back then, but now i think mostly catch and release.....

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
Cool pic's sturgeon are a really neat fish I spend quite a bit of time in the pursuit of catching them. Had some buddies go down to the Columbia last year during the season where you could keep some, they are really tasty :d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool pic's sturgeon are a really neat fish I spend quite a bit of time in the pursuit of catching them. Had some buddies go down to the Columbia last year during the season where you could keep some, they are really tasty :d

I always wondered what they would taste like. As long as I can remember the were either catch and release, or somewhat of a myth in the waters I fished. What are they comparable to, taste wise?

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. Sturgeon are a very fascinating fish. It is too bad we had to dam the Columbia watershed so much. Can you imagine how many massive old Sturgeon we used to have here. It sure would have been great to see the salmon run all the way here too. They use to run all the way up to Columbia Lake near Canal Flats. I have heard the Salmo river (previously know as the Salmon River) used to have one of the largest salmon runs in North America. The bull River Hatchery is a cool place to check out.

Adrenaline junkey

Reaction score
I always wondered what they would taste like. As long as I can remember the were either catch and release, or somewhat of a myth in the waters I fished. What are they comparable to, taste wise?
That's how it is here in Idaho ya can catch them but not allowed to remove them from the water or handle them too much. I think its real close to halibut to tell ya the truth, I don't care for fish but i love sturgeon. There are a lot of them here I'm really surprised they don't have some kind of system to let anglers keep a few every year. Its not uncommon to go out and catch 20 in a day most ranging 3 to 7 feet with the occasional fish pushing 8 foot plus :woohoo1:

Top Bottom