Registration? i cant get a straight answer

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you dont have to pay the PST and GST if the machine has previously been registered, because then they will of known that the tax has been paid on that machine previously. if no tax has ever been paid on the machine and its used, then you would have to pay it when registering it.

I know for a fact that this is incorrect. As Thunder144 stated, every time that sled is bought or sold and the new owner goes to ICBC to transfer registration into his/her name as the new owner, that new owner has to pay GST and PST before he can transfer registration into his/her name. It's the same as used vehicles now. Used to be you only paid PST on used vehicle/sled purchases at time of registration but as of last year it is now both GST and PST. :)mad:pR!CKS) You have to have a transfer paper completed by the purchaser and seller, same as a vehicle with the purchase price stated on that bill. In the past 6 years I have paid tax on 6 different machines, all of them used. Two of them had never been registered before. There is no limit as to how many times tax is paid on a sled/vehicle. It's paid every time a new owner registers it!

Shopping Cart 111, in BC you can't get insurance unless you first have the sled registered in your name. The rules in BC are completely different than Alberta.
And as far as that operation permit goes I have to look into that further. I have never been told by anyone including ICBC when I registered my sleds or my insurance agent when I insured them that this is required....better make sure though before I get nailed.:beer:

Pinebeatle

Reaction score
You go to a motor vehicle branch ( same place where you get your learners lic ) and pay ten bucks. If you bought private and did not pay taxes you will have to at that time. If you did pay tax already make sure you have bill of sale showing tax paid. Some people do and some dont reg, I have not this time but did on my other sleds (never been ask to show reg) But I do carry my bill of sale to show proof of ownership. If your out of province and have reg for that province you dont have to worry just dont get caught on plubic roads without insurance. Reg and ins are two different things.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so that's new then? Ive never been in that situation before. Only when I was trying to put a boat in my name. But this was 3-4 yrs ago. They said they had no record of tax being paid on the boat so I would have to pay the taxes right there at time of registration. The boat was from Alberta so there was no pst paid toward that boat.

I guess what can be done on used products is have the sale price drastically reduced on the paper work so the tax is decreased. What a stupid system we live in.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i dont know the ins and outs of the BC system but he asked for a clear answer, just figured it doesnt get much clearer than directly from the icbi web page, weather inforced or not.

This province is so mixed up it is hilarious!

Plio7, I don't know if license and register are interchangeable but I don't have to have that permit to get the registration decal on my sled. I don't require insurance unless I ride in town or cross a "highway". For Forest Service Roads it states "may purchase a minimun of $200,000 Third Party Liability.

I attended a "Rendezvous 2005" ride in Kelowna and the registration form said that you needed this "Operator's Permit" because we would be crossing roads/highways.

So, down to the local RCMP I go. Information in hand. I get the permit. There is nothing on it stating where I can cross the highway but it states "snowmobiles must not operate between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise.) I'm assuming that is crossing the highway/road. This permit is issued by the RCMP via ICBC and was issued 18/01/05 and expired 16/04/05. The RCMP told me that this was good throughout the province as long as the insurance is valid.

One of these days, they will straighten out and enforce the registration/insurance process for sleds and quads.

If a sled is properly registered/insured in Alberta or anywhere else in Canada (ie according to the rules where the person lives) it is good to go in BC. Just the same as a car or truck.

Shopping Cart 111, in BC you can't get insurance unless you first have the sled registered in your name. The rules in BC are completely different than Alberta.
And as far as that operation permit goes I have to look into that further. I have never been told by anyone including ICBC when I registered my sleds or my insurance agent when I insured them that this is required....better make sure though before I get nailed.:beer:

in alberta the same is true, you must have bill of sale and insurance to get registration, but the laws on having them are very clear, all off highways vehicles in alberta unless operated on your own private land must be registered and insured.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so that's new then? Ive never been in that situation before. Only when I was trying to put a boat in my name. But this was 3-4 yrs ago. They said they had no record of tax being paid on the boat so I would have to pay the taxes right there at time of registration. The boat was from Alberta so there was no pst paid toward that boat.

I guess what can be done on used products is have the sale price drastically reduced on the paper work so the tax is decreased. What a stupid system we live in.

I believe boat registration is different again from sleds and vehicles....You're exactly right it is a stupid system. Nothin more than a GD tax grab...again! Its always been that you've had to pay PST at time of ownership transfer but now charging us the Fricken GST as well is criminal! :mad: Everyone does doctor down the purchase price on the transfer paper to reduce the taxes, but you have to be careful with that too cuz if they determine that the purchase price stated on the transfer paper is below market value they can make things difficult. Usually you just have to tell them it needs a lot of work that's why the purchase price is lower than market value.:beer:

jpow

Reaction score
you dont have to pay the PST and GST if the machine has previously been registered, because then they will of known that the tax has been paid on that machine previously. if no tax has ever been paid on the machine and its used, then you would have to pay it when registering it.

i heard every time it changes reg you pay tax and i ride with a group thats ridin for years around int bc and most if them dont ever reg. them

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i dont know the ins and outs of the BC system but he asked for a clear answer, just figured it doesnt get much clearer than directly from the icbi web page, weather inforced or not.

I just wished it was clear in this province.......

Once the snowmobile has been registered and has its permit, you can apply to license and insure it, as required by the Motor Vehicle Act. You can do this at any Autoplan broker.

For snowmobiles, a restricted licence plate is issued. The restricted plate shows that the vehicle's use on a highway is limited. (The Operation Permit explains what its use is limited to.

That quote is taken from your ICBC page and IMO it is a bunch of wishful thinking of the part of ICBC. I have never seen a restricted plate on a snowmobile. A quad yes!

I have had a registered machine, with the valid permit and insurance through ICBC but I was never given nor told I had to have a plate for my snowmobile.

So I go back to my original statement....it is a stupid system out here, it is mixed up and hilarious but they are sure ready to grab the taxes!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Chrizt..... complicated chit...If I lived in BC I'd make a trip to AB to register... proof of insurance & $45 and your legal....

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
BUT. From what I have been told by BC Gov the BC permit is one-time while the Alberta registration is every year. I would take the BC option if I could.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUT. From what I have been told by BC Gov the BC permit is one-time while the Alberta registration is every year. I would take the BC option if I could.

Yup....10 bucks, one time PER OWNER. No mandatory requirement for insurance on crown land or FSR's yet either. I hear it's coming in the new regs though. Probably should have it anyway. Also....can't operate on a plowed FSR. :)

kentz

Reaction score

Yes that is correct, registration is like a car in AB in that it expires every year and we have actual stupid little metal license plates that are retarded. If they used stickers like in BC I might put it on but im not drilling holes in my tunnel to put a stupid plate on. I just leave it in the truck in case I get pulled over and they ask for it, but so far never have been.

On the flip side, in AB a trailer is registered only once and never needs renewal, unlike BC where it is yearly. So you win some and you lose some. Probably explains why my new boat trailer plate got lifted while I was on Kalamalka lake last summer! A BC guy got tired of renewing his boat trailer.

Top Bottom