registering a home built trailer?

Hylode

Reaction score
Belive it or not , but some small towns will still reg. a home built trailer, which ones I could'nt tell you , a friend of mine did it last summer ,and he did it in Forestburg of all places :rolleyes:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Tried to download some the other night. But said they were to big to download. If someone can help I will post for sure

... arcticdodge's enclosed home built trailer ! :):beer:

Attachments

• trailer 001.jpg
    trailer 001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 84
  • trailer 002.jpg
    trailer 002.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 94
  • trailer 003.jpg
    trailer 003.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 83
  • trailer 004.jpg
    trailer 004.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 84

randster

Reaction score
I also rebuilt an old tent trailer, And did the vin thing. I told them I rebuilt 70 some thing trailer and did the app. on line. I had no problem, and the guy who came to see it registered it as a new (2007) home built trailer.

Attachments

• !cid_image_0.jpg
    !cid_image_0.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 72

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics Bigfoot. One day will hopefully learn a new trick, like posting pics. From start to finish it took about three months. There are no door lathes on the outside, so you have to go inside and open it up. That kept it looking neat. Also on the inside is a reciever hitch mounted vertically so you can hook a winch into the floor and load up dead machines. :d

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics Bigfoot. One day will hopefully learn a new trick, like posting pics. From start to finish it took about three months. There are no door lathes on the outside, so you have to go inside and open it up. That kept it looking neat. Also on the inside is a reciever hitch mounted vertically so you can hook a winch into the floor and load up dead machines. :d

Very nice trailer... I like the rims.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

RIC. he already said :D

SwanHills

Reaction score
the Thorhld Registries is right, you will need to know your serial number, color of trailer, year, and style (utility). If the trailer is an older homebuilt serial numbers were just engraved by the owner, the VIN assignment was not needed.

yammy1320

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you cannot get an axle with brakes smaller than 3500#, so the requirement has to be somewhat inline with that...

I believe that a trailer weighing 2000 lbs or more has to have brakes on it.So 2 quads roughly 1400lbs ,gas or ramps ,and the trailer itself would be close..

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
When I registered my homebuilt they just told me to pick any serial number I wanted as many digits as I wanted and engrave or paint it anywhere on the trailer....but I didn't:eek:that was 10 years maybe things have changed. As for brakes any trailer with a gross over 2000LBS has to have brakes

W

woodies

just registered my trailer walked in gave my drivers license and 48 bucks.little sticker to put on.done deal.small town sask.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things may have changed since I did this but I registered my 2 place sled trailer as home made utility. It's under 2000lbs so no inspection and permanently registered. Did this in BC and Alberta. Although in BC I had to renew the registration every year (tax grab)!

When I moved to Alberta the serial number had corroded of the boat trailer so I registered it as home built as well (alum. fishing boat). As far as I know, if it's under 2000lbs there are not a lot of requirements to register trailers in BC or Alberta.

Take your $40 bucks in and just keep nodding...

Top Bottom