registering a home built trailer?

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows what is needed in order to register a home built trailer, I built a single place a few yaers back and never bothered to register it, I just used a plate off another trailer.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will need to be inspected,then i believe RCMP have to issue it a serial number. Once that is done should be able to register the trailer.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a minimum size that trailer brakes are required?

What else would be under an inspection?

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we built our enclosed sled trailer two years ago all we had to do was apply for an assigned serial number. In order to get that you need to know the weight of the trailer ( the weight determines how much you pay for the assigned serial number) once we had the serial number that was all that was needed, go to the registries and register it.:d

GRD

Reaction score
When we built our enclosed sled trailer two years ago all we had to do was apply for an assigned serial number. In order to get that you need to know the weight of the trailer ( the weight determines how much you pay for the assigned serial number) once we had the serial number that was all that was needed, go to the registries and register it.:d

Articdodge... They weren't concerned about brakes or anything else... Seems pretty easy!

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows what is needed in order to register a home built trailer, I built a single place a few yaers back and never bothered to register it, I just used a plate off another trailer.

..Go to Motor Vehicle Registry, Pickup an VIN# application & Phone 1866-263-6240.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score

Ya could phone the Scales, Transportation Or the DOTS. Talked to BAD ASS bout it a while back.... Maybe he will reply tonight !

Jake

Reaction score
The assigned VIN program is rin by the insurance Bureau of Canada. They are only looking for stolen parts or trailers, no mechanical interest at all. You should be able to prove where the parts to build it are not from a stolen unit, have your receipts ready when the inspector comes. Inspectors are generally ex police and have an idea of what they are looking at. This is the address to the information and application. Alberta Assigned VIN Program
Brake and lighting requirements are on a gov't website.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a similar situation a few months ago. We've always had a home built trailer that was registered (used to haul a second sled or some lumber around at times). Recently we made ourselves a second trailer and upon attempting to have it registered were told we needed to have it inspected and get a serial number, etc... (about $400). But our original trailer that we've had registered all along was still fine. So we said we were just going to use the plates from that trailer and swap them each time - they allowed this and just classified everything as a general utility trailer. Both of these trailers aren't worth very much (if anything), but are practical for us to haul stuff around the farm and whatnot. That was my experience with this anyway.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Articdodge... They weren't concerned about brakes or anything else... Seems pretty easy!

As long as you went off the proper (Provincial or federal) requirments for brakes and lights all was ok. And basically what they were looking for was stolen parts and so on. I think the inspector was at the house for about 5-10 minutes long enough to drill a hole to put on the assigned serial number.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last two I built I assigned a serial number(my initials and a number) and had a plastic plate engraved with the serial number and attached to frame. Registered them no problem and no inspection. The second trailer was built 2 years ago.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a home built a couple years back. Had the serial number 008 welded on to the frame (it was the eighth on e built). That's all they needed. No inspection as long as it met the basic requirements for lights.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so if I make a plate with a serial number, is there a certain number of digits?

The trailer is only 8ft, (was for a short track) and does not have any brakes, do you think this will cause a problem??

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so if I make a plate with a serial number, is there a certain number of digits?

The trailer is only 8ft, (was for a short track) and does not have any brakes, do you think this will cause a problem??

I registered my homebuilt one in Thorhild. I contacted the registry there and they gave me the number to get a VIN assigned, then pointed out that if I had a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" 17 Digit serial number on it and a bill of sale that is all they would need. Dug out the engraver and made one up. Didn't even look at trailer when I registered it.

Rhino Mama

Reaction score
we built a home made trailer just over a month ago an I can say if you come to Lacombe lol they don't ask for nothing an will give you CONTINUOUS HOME BUILT plate without inspection.

klineadam

Reaction score
Looking for some help. I bought a tent trailer, stripped it down to the frame and am looking at building a quad trailer out of it. Cant find a vin or serial as I have thrown out all the tent trailer pieces and there is no id plate on the frame. There is an eight digit number on the tongue of the trailer but the local dmv says that it isnt the vin. What can I do to get around this?? Do I have to get someone to re-vin the trailer or what are my options?? I looked at the Insurance Bureau of Canada re-vining forms and they say its $400 for a trailer or $50 for a home built. Even though its an old tent trailer do you think I could get away with telling them that it is a homebuilt??? I live in Alberta if that helps.

Thanks for all the help
Klineadam

medler

I love guns
Reaction score

I believe that a trailer weighing 2000 lbs or more has to have brakes on it.So 2 quads roughly 1400lbs ,gas or ramps ,and the trailer itself would be close..

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you have any pics of your enclosed? I think all of us would like to see how it turned out

Top Bottom