red deer suds buds campouts

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had good weekend in the rain out West.

Didn't see any others out there quading, but there were lot of folks driving the roads looking for critters.

Friday weather was good.
Rain and winds rolled in and out on Saturday and part of Sunday.
Pal and I had good Rain gear along with well set-up camp of tarps and hard shell toy-hualer that give us a chance to bunker down in for a few hours.

Hard shell trailer worked good for drying gear, much like the dryer system I have under the hood of my truck.
Dry gear seems to be the best way too spend time in the bush.

Trials are tricky since its hard for are Honda farm quads to get up on the higher mounds as they would slid into the low ruts,,, soon to get better as the ground will freeze and the tire chains will take us many places. "quad tracks" for me when the snow rolls in.

Big bon-fires, lots of coffee, all true storys, and no stays up late,,, Ha. Only the large bon-fire part is true.

Finally glad quad season is getting under way since its been a long summer of good weather that makes it hard to have fun... LOL

Looking forward too finally get the unit broke in after a limited 5000 kms in the slow part of the season.

Pal Lem with good times ahead

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Lem is this you??

Your the first guy I thought of when I see it lol

sent while drinking tea's

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, I now have to stop at Honda dealer to find my self the Honda lawn mow clipping race suit. LOL

From fast clip Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like frost on the pumpkin, time to put trailer away for the winter!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quad season now getting under way as the grounds tack up.

Trap Line furs are shinny with frost in the air and Moose and Elk horns are ready for battle.

Wolves are on the move along with Grizzlys at they capture the weak that will not make the years end, nothing like a fast ending too a good life time spent living in the trees.

This is how my long time Pal "Windy Bones" went.
He lived 100's of quality moments alone riding his pony in the Southern BC Mountains where the supreme bean had a rattle snake bite delivered to bring him home at 62 years young.

Windy Bones could not of found a more fitting end too a good life lived, his end game plan was too jump off a cliff where no one would find him as his shell of human would return to feed the critters he loved.

Sad that humans found him past on as it was not his plan to be found,,, it all worked out as family and friends took his remains back too the cold crisp mountains too set him free once and for all.

Today when each of us out door folk step out side on chilly fall mornings, take the time to remember the good folks that live their lives off grid away from humans like pal "Windy Bones".

Peace be with you brother as your human spirit is my breath.

Pal Lem as I remain

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the quad tire chains are going on today, and a stop at my shop for an extra set up front.

Been chaining up all for boots since 2002 that gives the little Honda farm quad D-4 doser cat traction, Ha.

So nice to get to a downed tree in first gear as it idles over it with nill of throttle,,, frozen ground and tires chains go had in hand,,, had a good start last winter with just the rear set, but both sets are wiser.

Pal and I limit our selves too slow speeds, but we get rocking on it on the open roads with a Woopping 37 kpr that is very fast for Race Track Gas Honda's,,, LOL.

Tire chaining has its advantages, but one needs/should remember that there are hazards with this,,, hiden icy side hill sections that could catch an operator off guard, snow covered sink holes covered by snow un-seen,,, places where high bacteria swamps are do not allow water too freeze like normal fresh water that takes chiller temps for them to tack up more.

High level bacteria swamps are normally found in Rainbow Lk and Zama City, but there are areas around here that are much the same.

The rotting gases and heat from decay make it hard for cold weather and snow too make good quality ice,,, those of us that work the backs woods know this all too well,,, I'm'doon has stepped into non frozen sink holes I'm sure,,, LOL.

Another hazard is snow covered stick kick-up as we don't see them till there jammed up into the plastic, or they flip around and snag the operator in the foot, leg, or the wow was that close area, Ha.

For those like my pal and I that enjoy OHV winter travel, it is the easiest time too get around, and I mention the above so your travels become wize and safe ventures on each outing.

Pack the fire starter, chain saw is a must, axe, shovel, small creek ice pick, tarps, ropes, emergency food, pot too melt snow or get water, warm gear and extra warm gear.

Keep dry, and plan ahead on the all.

Much more of this to come as its count down time on Grande opening of Ye-haa.

Pal Lem at occupying the wilds less the sled days that are long past.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i have found the occasional sink hole on the trails. seismic shot holes can be a beotch, some never freeze , found a few soft spots:realmad: in beaver dams also. nice invigorating swim at -30.

u guys carry extra winch cable or Amsteel rope? i have always got high centered or stuck about 20 ft beyond the reach of a winch line.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honda's don't need a winch, look at above picture

Has a lifting handle, you just lift it up, move it over and go again

sent while drinking tea's

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weatherman was wrong again! Wasn't supposed to start snowing till 1.00, here it has started and only 12:10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey don, have you used any of the ground anchors when stuck? have seen where a guy drives 1/2 t-bar fence post at an angle in soft ground, then another 10 ft away, with the bottom tied to the top of the first, on video it seems to work well! may be a beotch in frozen ground? maybe a couple concrete steel pegs for winter, pull em out with vise grips.https://youtu.be/yr3KdcEUDQs

Last edited:

clifford the big red dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well hear goes,I have been following you and your clans exploits for along time and not sure if possible but would like to meet up and yours,live in lacombe spend as much time as I can checking out the scenery out west ,my stories don't seem to be much out of line with yours, if you got a hang out let me know

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We might be able to link up some time big red dog, yes too being Lacombe dude.

And yes too ground anchor as pal picks up some screw in one's along with double stake pound in one's that he used in his Ft Mac days.

Yesterday got off to good start as I was watching for my loop arounds as I drove the Honda farm quad head long into a peet moss bog with tires chains on,,, the quad went in one direction,,, "down".

Then to top that issue off I thought it best to step into another sink hole up to my waist to start the day.

210 lbs too soon become 100 lbs heavier, Ha.

-40 below coveralls are damed heavy when wet. LOL.

So wiser management practises on route planning, at least we're packing lots of extra cables, ropes and slings for trees.

Propane stove is now loaded along with fire starter.

Awesome day in the west yesterday none the less, and a larger pack box is next, need lots of rigging with tires and chains, even more when the tracks go on.

Chains saw was working double over time too as many trails have been left out this year.

Winter travels is much different than summer outings, so a wind screen or home made canopy is soon to be.

Hope too hit the trails Monday as pal is looking for food too fill his freezer.
Still seeing Wolf and bear tracks, lots of Moose foot prints too.

Critters are pretty active as kool weather is rolling in.

From dry and warm pal Don with boots full of Muskeg

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should of took a selfy of me standing in the peet bog, but I was fighting for my life to stay a-float.

That BS about staying calm a pretend your in the water swimming doesn't seem to work as winter coveralls fill with Muskeg,,, swimming thing might work if I was in my super hero swim suit,,, not a good option for winter time operations, Ha.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup not a pretty sight i'm thinking

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers, Lem Lamb in speed-doo riding quad in the bush all winter, keep eyes open for frozen dude all, Ha.

Gear was tarp strapped under hood for drive out west this morning, and it is now hot and moisture free from tumble in swap.

Best out door dryer known to humans is a Ford F-150 with no sled deck packing a light Honda farm quad, mind you that the naturally asperated 6 cylinder with option of 2 wdr is not the best buggy going over mountains on icy hwys.

Darn good on fuel mileage though.

Today we're quading in the rain since our plan is to push frost into the ground, and try too avoid sink holes from 4@11, LOL. "Not".

Hope too remain dry longer than 20 minutes a-possed too last outting.

Looks like the Elk are on the move as a nice flock of them jumped the road,,, then 1 minute behind was one very nice bull in pursuit of all those girl friends.

The bush is alive with critters every where, and time spent out side is way more fun than watching the USA debates and other stuff that's beyond my pumpkin power.

Any day quading in the winter time when it's raining is more fun then sitting at home, best big screen TV for me is just getting under way,,, commercials time when we get a bon-fire going for the Smokey dog cook along with the massive coffee brew house system we're packing, Ha.

Star bucks and Tim Hortons don't have anything we can't make our selves.

Reporting from the top of the foot hills in vast lands of endless.

Pal Don some where, no where.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may be a few of the hunting crowd interested in the animals you see moving about? keep your head low, haha! honda's are like grizzly bears, can come around any corner at any time, snarlin and clawing all the way.:d

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup -9 at road when truck fired up

Top Bottom