Recomendation?

DooSummit

Reaction score
A buddy and I are planning on heading down to the pass on the weekend from Calgary. Does anyone have any recomendations to ride on the south or the north side of the highway? I know there is a weather warning for the elk valley right now, not sure how far south it extends. Thanks!

alberta73

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a ride from the atlas stagging area? Only been in the once exploring, seems like we ended up going west from the shelter and got into a nice bowl. Does the yellow line on the trail map indicate groomed trail? I've hunted up dutch creek around tornado mnt accessed from forestry trunk road but do guys ride all the way back there from atlas? We are fairly comfortable mountain riders all with our ast1 and avi equipped. We typically go up and over into BC but getting tired of riding trail all day just to get to a nice bowl to play around in for an hour or so then needing to head back. From what I remember atlas had a lot of open lower angle terrain to play around on. I wanted to try some of the passes last year but half our group was newby's and it looked high risk for avalanche. Willing to share some favorite loops? Do the numbers on the trail map correspond to trail markers? Thanks

alberta73

Reaction score
would my fernie trail map show any of that region or where does a guy go to get some basic info, like where to even stage from. I like exploring but with only so many saturdays available a guy just ends up going where he already knows to avoid being disappointed or wasting a day trail riding looking for somewhere to go.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pickup a trail map at any gas station in fernie, a popular area is the coal creek staging area, access in town of fernie! This gets you to wranglers cabin, from there you can ride the pipeline to the notch with play areas on both sides of pipeline make sure you have avy gear and beacons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
would my fernie trail map show any of that region or where does a guy go to get some basic info, like where to even stage from. I like exploring but with only so many saturdays available a guy just ends up going where he already knows to avoid being disappointed or wasting a day trail riding looking for somewhere to go.

The Fernie map doesn't go far enough north. Elkford Trails | what's happening on our trails may have a map that is downloadable. Staging area is 5.5 km north of the 4-way stop. Trail passes at the gas station (maybe a map). You are looking for Crossing Creek Recreation Trail across the road from the staging area. Follow your nose and go up to a meadow. that is Koko Claims. Explore and see what you like.

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
Any recommendations for a ride from the atlas stagging area? Only been in the once exploring, seems like we ended up going west from the shelter and got into a nice bowl. Does the yellow line on the trail map indicate groomed trail?..... Do the numbers on the trail map correspond to trail markers? Thanks

Grooming ends slightly north of the cabin on Northside. The trailmap shows trails which are maintained for brush and such but not necessarily groomed. The further north of the cabin you go, the better the snow is. There are quite a few play areas on the northside and tracks from others indicate popularity. Is always good to have a gps unit with you to track your travels. Check for pdf of map legend and waypoints.

Top Bottom