Recoil or engine?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Went for a little scoot today ....I mean little like mayyyyybe 3KM friend got stuck was help him out and went to start my sled and she started but just a horrible banging and clanging so I killed it thinking the motor let go. Give the rope a little tug and it was fairly soild, buddy pulled and it would roll over easy but the rope wouldn't go back in so we were turning the primary to see where to hook the emergency rope we notice the it was winding the rope back up. Give it a pull to start it no go and the rope stayed out spin the clutch again to wind up the rope give her another tug same thing.... then remember to hook up the tether cord :rolleyes:... do it again this time it skipped a couple times in back to back pulls. The last time we tried it it fired but it ripped the cord outta my hand and killed the engine now it jammed good.
I never had a recoil go before i have had the rope break several times and I never had and engine let go on me so I need a little guidance. The engine is on warranty but the recoil is not I can fix the recoil but I wondering if i should take in to have the engine checked what all your thoughts on what it is??

Last edited:

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pop the recoil off you'll find that it letgo and is jammed up, had the same thing happen on my 03 800 and it snapped the aluminim ring that it bolts to. Doo is notorious for bad recoilsin the 800 and smaller sleds, guys say to put one on from an rt 1000 as they are stronger

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like recoil and thats the first thing I would check. Re did mine 3 times then finally put a can on and problem solved. The plastic parts can melt. Good luck! :beer::)

rmkrider

Reaction score
check recoils... if plastic parst are melted put a little foil tape over the outside of the recoil. it helps reflect the mufler heat and reduce melting

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
check recoils... if plastic parst are melted put a little foil tape over the outside of the recoil. it helps reflect the mufler heat and reduce melting

I did that with my 03 summit and it still melted. Ended up doing the tape and a can and never replaced it again!:)

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yeah when it warms up a bit I will pop off the recoil.....but easier said then done mine has a big re-enforcing kit on that blocks the recoil all I can see is the top half inch of it :eek:

Top Bottom