Recession just around the corner?

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately many folks gave up on the patch and took a more steady trade. Less pay but home in their bed everynight. When the patch gets busy we are gonna be scrambling to find guys worst than ever.

Looks like most most of our work is gonna be on the sask side again this year.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately many folks gave up on the patch and took a more steady trade. Less pay but home in their bed everynight. When the patch gets busy we are gonna be scrambling to find guys worst than ever.

Looks like most most of our work is gonna be on the sask side again this year.

I don't think so, once guys see a increase in the stability of the patch again(and it is stabilizing IMO) they will flock back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, once guys see a increase in the stability of the patch again(and it is stabilizing IMO) they will flock back to it.

Big wages will make their decisions easier $$$

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I gotta agree with Steveo....I have several buds who got canned, were off for a while and now have taken non-patch jobs and they are not going back. I know if I get canned I'd be gone from the patch for good...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't disagree with you much but I think oilfield peeps will look for other means if they look at tax base ?
It's just screwed to work oil patch hrs and get nothing for it as the way the NDP and Liberals have it set up?
Pay for everyone else and work harder .
I know I will be looking for other options.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you much but I think oilfield peeps will look for other means if they look at tax base ?
It's just screwed to work oil patch hrs and get nothing for it as the way the NDP and Liberals have it set up?
Pay for everyone else and work harder .
I know I will be looking for other opinions ?

Pretty much, taxes are getting out of hand. I've got 2 months of time booked that I think I'm going to try and take as time off instead of $$$. Spend 200 days a year in hotels and then have the guberment steal half, getting sick of it.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Western Canada rig count the other day was 40 rigs working out of 634 !

One only needs to drive Ghost hwy from Edmonton to Fort Saint John BC to see many shops closed, hotels that were under constrution gated off, Alberta Tresurey Branch is letting folks stay in houses they fore-closed on since they are better occupied then empty.

Yes there are jobs out there, but it will be a long stint to get the wheel turning again.
Lots of small oil companies are for sale as the big guys are holding back too see if they too can slug threw the tuff days ahead. All sectors are feeling the pinch now.

Reporting from Western Canada travels Lem.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any contractors you see working in oil and gas are doing it for dead cost or below . "Drilling ,completions and fluid hauling"
Month ago you had work for said price and today re-bid again and loose to someone working for way less.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to see some price recovery in oil and gas, however with oil selling well below $50/bbl and natural gas under $1.00/Mmcf this past year there just isn't any money in the system. There is not going to be much activity until next year.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to everyone, and it's mostly luck right now to be busy.

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the oil companies doing the reverse bidding to get jobs now? Hearing that guy's are destroying the rates on stuff. ie. Hydrovac rate down to $200/hr from well over $300.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hydrovac companies have been cutting costs for months now up here in the oilsands. Cut travel time, streamlined load and unload times.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lean manufacturing is the term being tossed around our steel mill this past couple years. While not directly tied into the oil and gas market we still feel the hurt that everyone else does in times like this. We primarily make mining products but those markets have softened so much that we are now looking at rebar production to fill our order book. The margins are only about 15% of our normal products but it keeps everyone working and the bills paid. Gotta stay above water until things turn around and then all we have learned to trim costs and improve profits should really help.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the oil companies doing the reverse bidding to get jobs now? Hearing that guy's are destroying the rates on stuff. ie. Hydrovac rate down to $200/hr from well over $300.

Yup I work at an oil company and we refuse to do this but we are hearing some other oil companies doing this.
We want to have a relationship with the vendor once things pick up so we feel cutting their cost till they bleed isn't the way...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I work at an oil company and we refuse to do this but we are hearing some other oil companies doing this.
We want to have a relationship with the vendor once things pick up so we feel contractors cutting their cost till they bleed isn't the way...

Fixed it for you.
Oil company's are asking for reductions ? If contractors didn't cut the rates they wouldn't be reduced.
Then if no reduction and costs are to high oil company's cut programs as not economical.
And yes it is going on with on line biding for work.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The company I work/worked for had a contract with a very large multinational oil company...our work did not go out for bid but a competitor under bid us by so much they just told us to go away. They're too big to sue, it's not right but ?

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would think oil was over $100 with the price of gasoline, those gouging ****s. I paid $1.299/L in Revy yesterday am :realmad:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gouging for sure but look at the amount of tax on a liter of fuel?
Just stupid and going up higher in Ab. come Jan.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fixed it for you.
Oil company's are asking for reductions ? If contractors didn't cut the rates they wouldn't be reduced.
Then if no reduction and costs are to high oil company's cut programs as not economical.
And yes it is going on with on line biding for work.

We're saying the same thing I think? We've obviously asked and gotten cost reductions like everyone....

Open bidding from a long term perspective will hurt the oil company. For example I switch from vendor A to B since they are cheaper, 2 years from now vendor B jacks up the rates, gonna be harder to get vendor A back. If I stick with vendor A they are most likely not to jack up rates as much and since we stuck with them through the bad they will work with us better. This is all based on our groups experience.

Top Bottom