Recession just around the corner?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only guy thinking this. Why is treaty rights a life sentence? I don't get it lets just give one final lump sum payout whatever that is and be done with it. If you sell me your house it's now my house you don't get to keep getting money from me right? Isn't it being racist by showing certain groups they are different then the rest of us? Not sure why I'm paying for things that happened a insane amount of time ago, I think we've all long paid our debts.
Well on one hand agreements that were made years and years ago weren't honoured so the government has a responsibility to try and make that right. How would you like it if you sold your house and the other guy moved in but never actually paid you? On the other hand what they are doing to try and make it right is totally ineffective and a massive waste of money. Most if not all our social and justice programs are broken and just funnelling money into the same old programs is not going to fix it.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well on one hand agreements that were made years and years ago weren't honoured so the government has a responsibility to try and make that right. How would you like it if you sold your house and the other guy moved in but never actually paid you? On the other hand what they are doing to try and make it right is totally ineffective and a massive waste of money. Most if not all our social and justice programs are broken and just funnelling money into the same old programs is not going to fix it.

So in that situation then you're saying that whoever owns that home for the next 120 years should be obligated to continue to be responsible to sustain you financially because of the injustice done to you, and you have been so devastated that you'll continue to be fully dependant , forever ?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in that situation then you're saying that whoever owns that home for the next 120 years should be obligated to continue to be responsible to sustain you financially because of the injustice done to you, and you have been so devastated that you'll continue to be fully dependant , forever ?
Lying and stealing is wrong Lenny it doesn't matter when it happened. Only recently have FN had any actual recourse for what was done to them so yes while it may be 120 years later it is the first time they have had the tools to stand up for the wrongdoing. Read the last two sentences I clearly state what is happening now is ineffective and needs improvement. Handouts and cash injections to reserves will not fix anything. The solution needs to be sustainable and the FN need to buy into it and want to improve their situation. Penticton, West Kelowna, and Kamloops are great example of what a motivated band can do but not all bands have valuable land assets in growing cities.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Lying and stealing is wrong Lenny it doesn't matter when it happened. Only recently have FN had any actual recourse for what was done to them so yes while it may be 120 years later it is the first time they have had the tools to stand up for the wrongdoing. Read the last two sentences I clearly state what is happening now is ineffective and needs improvement. Handouts and cash injections to reserves will not fix anything. The solution needs to be sustainable and the FN need to buy into it and want to improve their situation. Penticton, West Kelowna, and Kamloops are great example of what a motivated band can do but not all bands have valuable land assets in growing cities.
You said "what was done to them" Nothing was done to them. Maybe their ancestors had some issues. It's time to quit paying.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
There would have to be a phasing out process because you can't take people that are used to free everything and just cut them off.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There would have to be a phasing out process because you can't take people that are used to free everything and just cut them off.
No it creates massive social issues which is why I stated in my original post that we need to revise these programs to actually be effective and not just breed future generations of welfare culture.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The plan was hailed by energy and environmental leaders as a “game changer” that will make Alberta a global leader in fighting climate change. But it will also require Albertans to pay 4.7-cents more per litre of gas at the pumps in 2017, and 5.5 cents more per litre of diesel, plus an extra $320 to heat their homes in 2017, rising to $470 by 2018. The $3 billion raised by these carbon taxes won’t go into government coffers, but will go back to Albertans through a rebate program and by building green infrastructure and public transit, the premier said.

I believe also that gas and diesel go up again in 2018.

What at is the rebate program and how is it determined if you get the rebate. Does this mean I get a rebate if I replace all my items with high efficiency stuff or just cut back and get under a certain consumption?

^^^ this is not directed at you PFI just to grow on it.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The plan was hailed by energy and environmental leaders as a “game changer” that will make Alberta a global leader in fighting climate change. But it will also require Albertans to pay 4.7-cents more per litre of gas at the pumps in 2017, and 5.5 cents more per litre of diesel, plus an extra $320 to heat their homes in 2017, rising to $470 by 2018. The $3 billion raised by these carbon taxes won’t go into government coffers, but will go back to Albertans through a rebate program and by building green infrastructure and public transit, the premier said.

I believe also that gas and diesel go up again in 2018.

The only thing for certain will be the carbon tax, but you and I and thousands of others know we will never see any of that money in the form of rebates.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They say heating a house will go up 500/month with the carbon tax. I can see alcohol stilling on the rise to use for.....heating fuel....car fuel....libations....

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They say heating a house will go up 500/month with the carbon tax. I can see alcohol stilling on the rise to use for.....heating fuel....car fuel....libations....
$500/month? So the tax is like 5 times more than the cost of natural gas? You better check your source.

Top Bottom