Recco

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe RECCO works off a system that is in place for ski resorts and will not cover most remote snowmobiling areas. You are covered if riding within a ski resort coverage area only.

Its a sat system that most ski resorts pay into. It also includes cat/heli skiing areas.

BTW, you also need to wear gear with RECCO reflectors for it to work.

Last edited:

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe RECCO works off a system that is in place for ski resorts and will not cover most remote snowmobiling areas. You are covered if riding within a ski resort coverage area only.

Its a sat system that most ski resorts pay into. It also includes cat/heli skiing areas.

BTW, you also need to wear gear with RECCO reflectors for it to work.

I believe RevySar was using it when they were looking for that Travis dude at Boulder at the start of the season? Can anyone confirm?? I was also told in a discussion with someone in the know, that Shuswap has the locator and it can be detected within 200m when flying in a chopper. I have a tek vest with it sewn in but I rarely wear it. But what if my battery dies in my beacon? or another victim is careless enough to not run a beacon?? It is a weightless additional measure that should be in every backcountry gear fwiw...

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My doo gear has Recco. Realistically in an avy situation by the time someone can get there and be looking for Recco it's a body recovery mission.

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a recall to fix a minor glitch that could cause the beacon to not transmit at full power. It was very isolated and dealt with very well by manufacture.

Doesn't lessen its capabilities

From what little i understand Recco predates the avy beacons of today but is still used mainly in "recovery" capacity not rescue in our case.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My doo gear has Recco. Realistically in an avy situation by the time someone can get there and be looking for Recco it's a body recovery mission.

What about lost or stuck in a draimage. Trying to be optomistic here... Lol

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
During a ZacsTracs avi course, it was mentioned that those just detect a reflected signal off the metallic piece in your pocket, and they will also pick up your cell phone since it is fairly metallic.
I can't confirm this, but just what I have heard.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
According to whom?

Did you know this beacon has a recall on it for possibly not transmitting when it says it is?

When you spew "nonsense" like this, you need to back it up somehow.

The Best Avalanche Beacon | OutdoorGearLab
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

can you say azzhat? wtf? recall was simple and done on all 3 of ours....
Ortovox S1+ Review - OutdoorGearLab
I've had about 4 different beacons over the years and this is by far the best I've ever had?
before you spew, how many have u had? WOW......

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about lost or stuck in a draimage. Trying to be optomistic here... Lol
I said avy situation. I am unsure of its range in other situations or if it could be useful in locating someone from the air. I still think a spot or inreach are the best options for transmitting location data to a rescue party.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I've had about 4 different beacons over the years and this is by far the best I've ever had?
You stated easiest and most accurate. So, that's according to YOU then. OK. I understand then.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You stated easiest and most accurate. So, that's according to YOU then. OK. I understand then.

okay, Mr. knowitall ... how many beacons have you actually had?? I still have 3 different beacons, and still like my SOS, but out dated now. we use it for practice now

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

I just read the report you linked to and it ranks as one of the best and easiest (once you learn some basics).

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
okay, Mr. knowitall ... how many beacons have you actually had?? I still have 3 different beacons, and still like my SOS, but out dated now. we use it for practice now
One. And only one. I did a LOT of research before I bought. And I bought the top rated at the time. I wouldn't rate it the "easiest and most accurate" by MY standards tho. I'll leave that to the experts.

How many burials have you saved to call it the "most accurate made"?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
AST Training... seen one in action, and had leaps and bounds ahead of the next competitive beacons. And yes I've lost several good friends in avalanches now, and wanted the best for me and my kids!!
Have you had any avy training, there mouthpiece ;) ? curious....

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AST Training... seen one in action, and had leaps and bounds ahead of the next competitive beacons. And yes I've lost several good friends in avalanches now, and wanted the best for me and my kids!!
Have you had any avy training, there mouthpiece ;) ? curious....

Now now kids play nice hahahahahaha.

Ive always wanted to say that on here hahahahahahaha

Beerandclamato2

Top Bottom