rear suspension

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 99 powder special 700. the rear suspension is set to the stiffest setting and when going through woop d doos the rear wants to come up and make me endo. Have a look at the pic. the black triangle on the left is what you turn to adjust it. there is no settings on the shock. I dont think that by turning the triangle to a softer setting will make a big difference. is there something else i can do with this set up?

Attachments

• DSC00086.jpg
    DSC00086.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 81

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
posnick has that spring been welded? looks like it in pic.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your shock was in good condition - It should prevent the rapid kick back that prevents the " bucked off " feeling . I noticed that you welded a chunk of round bar on your spring to give more preload and a stiffer suspension. You can get more preload if you move the slide block up on to the next hole above on the skid. Also you can get billet spring adjusters that are larger that accomplish the same thing. As a last resort you can order from cat - thicker springs that do the same job. My 98 powder special was way to soft and they had springs that gave a better ride. The steel used to make springs does not like welding. It typically can cause it to be very soft (in some areas) and also tend to crack an break.

psycoticmudder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 99 powder special 700. the rear suspension is set to the stiffest setting and when going through woop d doos the rear wants to come up and make me endo. Have a look at the pic. the black triangle on the left is what you turn to adjust it. there is no settings on the shock. I dont think that by turning the triangle to a softer setting will make a big difference. is there something else i can do with this set up?

install stock springs and adj triangle block to you weight

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the way you see it is the way i got it. it does appear there was some round bar welded on.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually the previous owner was 60 ish and maybe 190 lbs. did mainly mountain riding with it. thinkin i may take the shock off and test it. maybe time for a new one

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That kick back feeling comes from the prelod on the springs. Shock only works to dampen impacts and has a much lesser effect on rebound. That extra bar welded to the springs and the preload adjuster being turned up is not helping. Having your shock recharged is a good idea if it has not been done in along time, but the real issue is the spring. Go back to stock springs and set them up properly. If your a big guy you can get springs with a little more wire diameter or angle to them. I have the charts and can help you decide if need be.

When setting spring preload Cat recommends that when you sit on the sled the rear only drops about 2 inches. Of course there is room for you to determine how the ride feels. Stiffer the springs are set though the more that kicking back feeling. Both of the blocks (triangles) do not necessarily have to be set on the same position. As the shock loses it's dampening effect, many people will crank up the springs to compensate. All that does is create the big kick back.

Actually, I just remembered that I might have a set of hardly used springs in the garage. They will be from either a 98 ZR 600 or 2002 ZR CC. The CC versions will be slightly stiffer. They are yours if you want them...for FREE! Bet that fixes a lot of the problem once you set them properly. I'll go check later to see what I have.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a dirt bike do the same to me it was all spring. shock needed to be re charged. not sure if thats your problem but i would start there.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I have two sets. One looks brand new, the other looks like new too. One set is the heavy duty that came off my ZR 800 Cross Country. Still have the part number sticker on them. Other are likely the ones from my old ZR 600 and should be the same as the stock ones for your sled. If you want the stock ones they are yours, but I am a little thirsty after walking out to the garage and back. Nothing 6 beer couldn't fix :d:beer:

Let me know.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Hey zrrr you better ask for more than six beer i need some to. Rode with posnick last sat night we had a great time. Maybe he should be the provider for the next goose tower trip.:d:beer::d:beer::d:beer::d:beer::rolleyes:

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i saw you guys drink TKO. my visa does have a limit!;):beer: Thanks ZRrr. As soon as i can get in there I will let you know. It wont be till next week as im working the RV show all weekend:(

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where at the show? Might be going Friday or Sunday.

Then we need to plan a Goose Tower trip by the looks of it.

Top Bottom