Rear Suspension issue...

Yaco

Reaction score
So brought home the new sled. Noticed the rear sags a lot and doesnt really rebound after compressing it down by hand. Also when I stand on it the rear basically feels bottomed out. Anyone else have this issue? Calling dealer tomorrow as they're closed today.

Yaco

Reaction score
Take it off the dollies.

Checked it off the dollies and how about that...you were right.

Now my question is....why does the Skidoo do that when put up on dollies? This is my first Skidoo, but I owned a Cat before and it never sagged like that. Also my buddies Pro RMK (which was sitting right beside my XM) doesn't sag at all when on the dollies. Is there a reason behind it?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure but my guess is that the float in the cat or coilover shock in the pro rebound better than the torsion springs in the doo. I would also wager that doing the scissor relocate would help.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked it off the dollies and how about that...you were right.

Now my question is....why does the Skidoo do that when put up on dollies? This is my first Skidoo, but I owned a Cat before and it never sagged like that. Also my buddies Pro RMK (which was sitting right beside my XM) doesn't sag at all when on the dollies. Is there a reason behind it?
My cat does the same thing only not quite that bad, it certainly changes depending where the dollie is under the track.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People think sag is always a bad thing. But they don't realize it helps the ride. With sag your suspension fall into hole instead of the hole sled

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People think sag is always a bad thing. But they don't realize it helps the ride. With sag your suspension fall into hole instead of the hole sled

Thank you!!!!!!! This is why guys on the xm are floating down the trail without breaking a sweat and the other guys look like they are hating there lives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will x3 those comments. Unlike you cat... Skidoo has suspension. Some sag is good, excessive is bad. Look at baja trucks, how much sag do they have in there rides.... Same would apply to us running whooped up trails. Also helps to maintain control and fractions.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Proper rebound is another key factor to keeping a smooth ride over rough trails. I have fought with this when setting up a new MX bike. I always laugh when guys jack there spring pressure to the max when they think their suspension is too soft.

Yaco

Reaction score

Read my posts dude. It wasn't "some" sag on the dollies....it was excessive. Off the dollies it's fine and sits normally, with normal bound/rebound. I just hadn't realized the dollies made that big of a difference on the Skidoo's as I had never seen a sled react like that just to being put up on dollies.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read my posts dude. It wasn't "some" sag on the dollies....it was excessive. Off the dollies it's fine and sits normally, with normal bound/rebound. I just hadn't realized the dollies made that big of a difference on the Skidoo's as I had never seen a sled react like that just to being put up on dollies.

I know what you you said in your post and get what you where saying. I thought I would post what I did before we got countless guys posting about how much sag there xm had, and how they had to put the stiffest springs they could find and still sags. Sorry if I sounded like I was directing that towards you , I wasn't it was towards the other guys that would of posted about there sag.

Yaco

Reaction score
Aaahhhh ok. My bad. All good bro. :beer:

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Had the same issue with my XM last season. Rear bumper would sag about 4" from fully extended, then my fat ass would just about bottom it out. Front and rear shock/springs were cranked right up. Talked to Bow Cycle South about it, they said it wasn't a problem. I do know that they did have some faulty shocks on the 2013's that were replaced though.

I'm thinking I might just be fatter than the frenchmen in Quebec that test-ride these things. Fully loaded with avy backpack and gear I gotta be over 260. Skidoo specs I saw a while back said the sleds were set up for a rider weight of 185 lbs... which means the frenchmen gotta be around 150lbs without gear on. Too skinny to be beer drinkers.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seeing as the average male weights 185 without gear, once married fat and geared up 250 seems about right. The oems need to revisit the spring rates !!!

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue with my XM last season. Rear bumper would sag about 4" from fully extended, then my fat ass would just about bottom it out. Front and rear shock/springs were cranked right up. Talked to Bow Cycle South about it, they said it wasn't a problem. I do know that they did have some faulty shocks on the 2013's that were replaced though.

I'm thinking I might just be fatter than the frenchmen in Quebec that test-ride these things. Fully loaded with avy backpack and gear I gotta be over 260. Skidoo specs I saw a while back said the sleds were set up for a rider weight of 185 lbs... which means the frenchmen gotta be around 150lbs without gear on. Too skinny to be beer drinkers.

some people make the mistake of thinking the shock is what holds the sled up but it isn't, its the torsion springs. doesn't matter if the shock is good or not its not going to affect the "sag". im not saying that's what your saying, just a lot of people think that

Last edited:

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
some people make the mistake of thinking the shock is what holds the sled up but it isn't, its the torsion springs. doesn't matter if the shock is good or not its not going to affect the "sag". im not saying that's what your saying, just a lot of people think that

Yeah, it was a different issue with the shocks, I don't think it had anything to do with the sag.
I found a sag reducer kit for my old XP, haven't seen anything similar for a T-motion skid yet though.

Clay911

Reaction score
Just drill a hole 3/4" back on the rail to relocate your rear scissor.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What holds it up on a Cat or a Pro ?

Top Bottom