Really like to try a RX1

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
loved the looks and the 4 stroke ..cant stand 2 stroke stink anymore after fixing and riding these for 45 years.but after some bad falls from roofs on farm, my back cant handle rough riding and heavy things to lift.
what do you honestly think of these sleds, theres a few for sale good price, one even will take my 95 Polaris on trade with a lil cash his way.. going backwards from my 03 800 VE was hard enough to this 95 XLT,,but maybe the RX1 is another step backwards, my sons say no, too heavy to steer and move around??? never rode one, rode a powersteering nytro at Riversides demo, was ok, but cant afford one o those.

2003RX1.jpg

Last edited:

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those RX1's are horrible to ride. I'd say look for an Apex if your going to buy an older 4 stroke. They were a lot better of a sled over the RX1.

There's an 06 Apex mountain in Kijiji for $5500 right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The RX1's were a big step into 4-stroke technology but they were a heavy sled, and from what you wrote I would stay away. There are a lot of good deals out there on newer used yami's that have huge improvements in their chassis design over the RX1. They are far better handling and steering. I had an RX1 mountain as a demo sled for a winter and it was a workout to ride and don't get it stuck !!!

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken, I have an apex I picked up this summer I am on the fence on keeping, your welcome to come try it out to see if it fits your needs, if you like it can always make me an offer, just need more snow, rode both the apex and RX1 and there is night and day differences

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nytroman, sounds good..email me when theres enough snow to try it, like you I have so much fun on the old Elan, hell,my son sold his 2010 800 Assault and rides the 294 Elan now...???? theres not one sled mad today a guy like me can pick up and put in pickup .

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too much hate on the RX1 !!!
ok so its heavy. compaired to an apex ??? or a 1000cc 2 stroke doo that is 4 years younger ??? or a 2012 nitro ???
its an older sled and the begining of the new age of sleds ... maybe ...
how many RX1's are still on snow ??? ... most
horses for courses ... if you want an all round sled, then its a good priced reliable sled, even with 8000km on it ... say that about a doo, cat or pol.

my buddy is modding the ch!t out of his RX1 on a shoe string budget as we speak. he has already shed 65lb for less than $400 ... the build will be posted up
you could do a ch!t ton worse ... but where and how do u ride ???

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to IMDOON on this site, his brother inlaw has one for sale! It's supercharged and goes like crazy, it's all done up too lotsa goodies on it....

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2006 attack. 136 mint cond. 4400 kms. just got out of shop for complete service. ready to roll if your interested

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just trail ride , no mountains for me, the most aggressive riding I do is trying to keep up to my friend Roy Mathews out in the Shining Bank country, he rides a 02 600 RMK while puffing on his pipe, and theres only 1 person that can actually keep up to him, thats his Son Randy..I couldnt with my 800 VE the last 2 winters.He says those Big Yamahas would be no good out there.always turning, not many straight stretches.
I remember in the 80s, group from city came to Roys with there new Polaris triples,pipes, all modded, and were making fun of Roys old Everest.. hell, all they ever saw was his taillight.LOL here is pic of Roy and I on the trail to Silver Summitt.

Attachments

• RoyIoutsledding-1.jpg
    RoyIoutsledding-1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 260

hopper146

Reaction score
I bought a new 2004 RX1 Mountain...the coolest looking coolest sounding sled I'll ever own. The dual exhaust out the seat was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen. One trip to the mountains and I sold it!...lol Was absolutely wore out after a day of riding and digging...lol Now for a nice cruising trail sled it might be allright...very fast...very smooth...very reliable..

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a new 2004 RX1 Mountain...the coolest looking coolest sounding sled I'll ever own. The dual exhaust out the seat was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen. One trip to the mountains and I sold it!...lol Was absolutely wore out after a day of riding and digging...lol Now for a nice cruising trail sled it might be allright...very fast...very smooth...very reliable..

My neighbor is selling his. It's totally mint. All stock. He is in his 60's and never abused it. It gets ridden mostly on the lake of groomed trails of ab beach. And maybe only once or twice a year. Then he waxes and polishes it for the next ride. If you k ow anyone who would be Interested pm and I can set it up

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 1250 miles on my ole 92 Indy 500 EFI this winter,that I paid $500.00 for , added a Pipe. & changed gearing, I did 85+ mph behind new ACs.POls, Doos, so thats not to bad.the suspension is tad hard on my back though,.will look for a Xtra 10 0r 12 suspension this summer,.if can find a RX1 for cheap, will buy and try next winter.

Attachments

• 1992Polaris500EFIwnewhighwindshield001.jpg
    1992Polaris500EFIwnewhighwindshield001.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very reliable good riding sled. Down side is it is heavy. The largest gain you get by going to the apex is fuel injection. Which ever you were to choose second to no one reliability. I would never go back to a 2 stroke. JMO

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2 sleds burnt in my garage fire last friday night,so need a sled now, found a 03 RX1 with a 08 Apex skid under it, frt suspension and skies, but I think a 162 2 in might be little much for trail riding, but price is $4500 , looks nice, 7000 kms, what do ya think..

Attachments

• 2003 Yamaha RX1 Apex.JPG
    2003 Yamaha RX1 Apex.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 265

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
Not too bad of a price. I had same sled few years ago. Had it one year and sold it cause it too heavy. Messed up my back ditch banging. Ride was fairly comfortable but if the front of it gets buried in snow and you don't hit the gas fast enough your stuck and your buddy is choking on exhaust trying to push you out. Also, if your trail riding the hyfax will melt and coolant temp high will be a problem. Scratchers may help but I never used them. I went and got a trail Nitro 121" because I mainly ride local and the overall ride was day and night in difference. Easy to ditch bang, rarely get stuck, and really comfortable ride with the fox floats up front. It's a 06 Nytro first year it was released thus looks with the RX1 and vector. 100% stock and 100% reliable. If your interested I would match the RX1 price of $4500. But if I were you get the nytro or vector instead. Apex if your more concern with speed.

Top Bottom