Really Good weekend until

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had really good weekend - alot of snow - Road the 13's - then got sled home to clean up for next ride - Bolt sheered off in secondary that holds rollers and went through both clutches !:mad:

Attachments

• Snowmobile Pics 219.jpg
    Snowmobile Pics 219.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 336

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Do you use reverse to slow yourself down coming down steep inclines?

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to do it quite often without and promblems to the sled. No one told me it was harmful to the sled so i kept doing it. Only problem is when your coming down the hill and have it in reverse and you come up to a large dip or hole. You cant crack the thottle to get over it.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do people acctually do that...lol

I have done this countless times when in areas that were too steep to negotiate around trees, I really thought of it as the difference between destroying a 15k sled vs a $200 belt.
If the secondary is held by the brake so it isnt turning and you get on the throttle as you let the brake off, where would the issue be. ( other than the belt ) it really shouldnt be much harder than aggressivly reversing in any other situation should it?
take it easy on me im not a mechanic or an engineer.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats retarded...lol

its retarded? Are they still allowed to say that word in grade school? I believed I heard it was banned?

anyways...under the right conditions, yes you can use the RER to slow a decent or come to a stop.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done this countless times when in areas that were too steep to negotiate around trees, I really thought of it as the difference between destroying a 15k sled vs a $200 belt.
If the secondary is held by the brake so it isnt turning and you get on the throttle as you let the brake off, where would the issue be. ( other than the belt ) it really shouldnt be much harder than aggressivly reversing in any other situation should it?
take it easy on me im not a mechanic or an engineer.
X2 I have used this method a few times going down a waterfall and itb was this or a big issue at the bottom. Why would this be any harder on the belt that spinning that track forward? Juat asking

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 I have used this method a few times going down a waterfall and itb was this or a big issue at the bottom. Why would this be any harder on the belt that spinning that track forward? Juat asking

typically its not any harder on the belt when done properly, what people neglect to take into consideration is slack in the chain case then end up with an exploded chain case. Regular maintenace helps reduce any chance of issues as a result form using the reverse.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
typically its not any harder on the belt when done properly, what people neglect to take into consideration is slack in the chain case then end up with an exploded chain case. Regular maintenace helps reduce any chance of issues as a result form using the reverse.
this is correct. in reverse it loads the usually slack side of the chain where the tensioner is. saw one blown apart at the dealer, the metal around where the adjuster bolt threads in was ripped back and away from the case. dude said he didn't know how it happened, but looked pretty obvious to me. chain and gears were fine....

that said, I use rer often to navigate steep slopes when tobagganing down is not an option. I think it's fine if you don't grab traction on something and shock load the chain tensioner.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i also have seen two wrecks with using reverse, one blew the secondary destroying the primary, 1200 dollar repair, and the other destroyed the chaincase, like general said if you bring the reverse on with out the track moving forward you might have a chance, but hitting reverse while moving track forward is looking for trouble... for myself never had to use it yet with the three inch, ussally lots of body english and cutting a ski in hard will slow you down to get control

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I ever re-gear, I try to select gears and chains that minimize the dog-leg in the chain and always try to pick a combination that allows for a larger top gear for more teeth contact. e.g.20/49 rather than something like 18/45. It might cost a bit more but the more dogleg in the chain, the more force on that tensioner when in reverse.

gopherchoker

Reaction score
Had really good weekend - alot of snow - Road the 13's - then got sled home to clean up for next ride - Bolt sheered off in secondary that holds rollers and went through both clutches !:mad:

Anyways......... I believe cudney racing has found a machine shop that can resurface these clutches. It's a known problem.

Top Bottom