Re-torque of rims....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm a auto tech and run a shop..... 98 % of people don't come back for a re torque....... mabe have 1 problem every 2 years [ 99.9 % not a problem ] ... we hand torque every one [ no torque sticks cause if the inpack gun don't have the jam then if will stop and give ya a improper value ] ....

also alumi after market rims are the worst for having issues [ well dulleys too ].... i have had to check my alum aftermarket rims on my truck 3 times before they quit moving...

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Didn't know hand torque was the way to go. I do mine at home and Impact away ..... never had one move. I did loose 2 on the quad though from hand tightening. Now I impact those too. Guy should check really .... especially trailers along with brake aways lol.

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently we took the tire off our truck because it was flat, and filled it put it back on and COMPLETELY forgot about re torque. So on the highway moving to the acreage the man is following me in the truck I look back and sparks are just flying everywhere. The tire flew right off!! Luckily there was no damage to the rotor and we actually found the tire after an hour of searching the bush and ditch. The road has quite the gouge in it but that was the only damage done Thankfully!!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't know hand torque was the way to go. I do mine at home and Impact away ..... never had one move. I did loose 2 on the quad though from hand tightening. Now I impact those too. Guy should check really .... especially trailers along with brake aways lol.
You will eventually break the studs on a quad/utv....I'd stick to hand torquing to the proper number.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my own torque wrench, so I never go back for a retorque. Never thought it was worthwhile till we had two 3/4 ton SRW pickups have issues at work after they did not retorque. Broken studs and pooched rims. That was enough for me. Now I am a little more grown up and have a wife and a dog depending on me, I take that stuff a little more seriously. Plus it was a good excuse to buy more tools!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
being a heavy haul trucker I am borderline obsessive about proper torque on wheel nuts. Dave B is 100% correct, you risk weakening or stretching your studs by rattling them tight with an impact wrench. If I had a dollar everytime I made a tire repair "technician" back off every single lug nut because the torque wrench clicked without the nuts moving, I wouldn't be working....but relaxing in some cabin where the snow never melts. I love it when they say "our impact is set to the proper torque..." :rolleyes: get fawked, back them off and do it again....

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see Canadian tire has two types of torque wrenches for sale 1/2 off right now, anyone now if they are good ??

all this talk of proper torque, maybe someone can tell us where to buy a good one from???

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see Canadian tire has two types of torque wrenches for sale 1/2 off right now, anyone now if they are good ??

all this talk of proper torque, maybe someone can tell us where to buy a good one from???
gregg's distributing, bumper to bumper, northern metallic, snap on.....or go ask any reputable mechanic where they got theirs. remember, you get what you pay for....

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gregg's distributing, bumper to bumper, northern metallic, snap on.....or go ask any reputable mechanic where they got theirs. remember, you get what you pay for....

I agree, you get what you pay for, but sometimes ctire has things that work just fine for me and are 50% off.....perhaps torque wrenches are the one thing you pay full price for and get some quality....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, you get what you pay for, but sometimes ctire has things that work just fine for me and are 50% off.....perhaps torque wrenches are the one thing you pay full price for and get some quality....
absolutely....and always back them off to zero after you are done with them. and a 3/8 torque wrench is handy, especially when required torque values are given in inch/lbs....smaller bolts are very easy to overtighten and strip in motorcycle and snowmobile applications.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ct torque wrench is better than adeqaute for a weekend mechanic, i am journeyman hd and own both snap on and ct torque wrenches, both work well and neither has any advantage that i can see except maybe in a high demand/use job the snap on will last longer. save the money and cheap out if only using every once in a while, if you want to make a living off it, buy the good stuff. jmo.

theseeker

Reaction score
A couple winters ago my dad pulled out one of the guys at work who dropped his truck in the muskeg and doing so he popped the bead on his tire I should add it was the coldest weekend that winter about -35. So no problem take it home put the tire in the heated well house, pump it back up put it on the truck tightend up the nuts and ready to go back to work for the next day. Next day rolls around I decide to catch a ride to work with him because again its 35 below, we're flying down the back roads in a twisty section and all of a sudden the trucks all over the road my dad looks at me "holy $hit the wind really shined 'er up last night" so he slows down a bit we make it another ten miles or so up the road come around a large corner in the road and all the studs finally break and the now the drum brake is riding in the rim and the tire is spinning in the fender. Luckily all it broke was the studs and destroyed the rim. The aluminum rim expanded when we put it in the heated building and after we tightened it on it shrunk over night and the studs loosened.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have the 1/2-in Torque wrench and have never had any issues. Also if it wears out or breaks it can be returned due to the lifetime warantee! A buddy returned one after he dropped a shack on it and bent the crap out of it. They didn't even question what happened.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 1/2-in Torque wrench and have never had any issues. Also if it wears out or breaks it can be returned due to the lifetime warantee! A buddy returned one after he dropped a shack on it and bent the crap out of it. They didn't even question what happened.

I love mastercraft stuff for that. No questions asked. 'I need a new prybar, this one's broke.' 'sir, that is a screwdriver'

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both the 3/8 and the 1/2 Mastercraft. The 1/2 works great, no issues. The 3/8 I'm a little skeptical of its accuracy, I'm going to bring it into the shop and try it next to the mechanics, he gets his calibrated, so his should be fairly accurate. But Like Terroy mentioned, make sure you back them off to 0 when you're done using them. :beer:

Cameo

Reaction score
That should read "back off to the lowest setting when finished" this will maintain the minimum spring tension. If you back it of and leave it with no tension, the wrench loses calibration faster (for lack of fancy term).

This is from my buddy who calibrates wrenches and gauges.

Top Bottom