RCMP Stopping Sleds HWY 16 East

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
The hole situation is just a joke i wish we could just ride worry free ...LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!!
What hole situation are you referring to???????????
Didn't realize holes were involved in this thread in any way whatsoever??????????????????

xpsledneck

Reaction score
Yeah it was the F350 that was stopped. I've expressed my disgust to my councillor and to the dipchit that is the supervisor of enforcement at the County. He's a real piece of work I tell you. I can't belive the cops don't have anything better to do, as if sledders are a problem.

Did you ever thimk they were checking to see if the sleds were stolen. as a lot of sleds that are stolden go north.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it is against the law, then don't ride there. change the law, contact your county rep, the more calls the better. the police are trying to enforce the laws they are given, whether they like them or not. someone in that area has complained to the authorities, and they have responded. i see no problem riding in the ditch, but i don't live there. :beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its woe is me imdooin WOE is me, that crowd would appreciate it if u could get that straight. K.

wow spelling police. spell check must be off, you makin' my day. K:rolleyes:

Last edited:

whitefix

Reaction score
on the plus side they are rockin E techs....they are only gonna catch blown up polaris's

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
if it is against the law, then don't ride there. change the law, contact your county rep, the more calls the better. the police are trying to enforce the laws they are given, whether they like them or not. someone in that area has complained to the authorities, and they have responded. i see no problem riding in the ditch, but i don't live there. :beer:

It's one of those "soft" laws.... I'm told the highway traffic act says you are not to ride the ditches of 2 & 3 number highways.... I could not find this literature (I confess I didn't study it all) what I did find was that the boulevards are off limits and there is a speed limit of 40 km/h...

I was told of a fellow being pulled over in Lac.Ste.Anne county so I called the county for clarification because we ride the ditches of 43 & 16 & 633 & 33 regularly and have NEVER had an issue with the RCMP...Infact I have pulled into Beach corner gas station with the RCMP there to fuel up my sled and had a nice chat with them about the riding conditions, was told to "have fun and play safe" (Beach corner is in Parkland co). Lac.Ste.Anne county manager told me that the RCMP do not enforce sled use on the highway ditches within the county and that Peace officers are instructed to check for reg/ins but under no circumstances issue fines for riding in the ditch.

I was told the officer involved must have been new or having a bad day and if I were to recieve a fine from a county/town peace officer to politely accept it then call the county on monday to have it voided...

East of edmonton is a different world...

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

friggin law abiding stiffs......

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
friggin law abiding stiffs......

had to start, lost a lot of cash to fines. still get a few, but live and learn. found if i kept the yap closed got a few less even. :beer:

friggin laws

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think thats the WHOLE and ONLY reason they have that unit? Is to chase you down and give you a ticket for riding in the ditch? (even though its AGAIST THE LAW) as much as I dont like it thats how it is. Those guys have found 3 STOLEN sleds this year by checking VINS..... Lets see you write a post like this after they recover one of yours!
Actually, yes that is the only reason the unit was created in Strathcona County. I have had that confirmed by both my Councillor and the Supervisor of Law Enforcement. The regular RCMP are quite able to do the "stolen sled" thing.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think people haven't tried to change the law here? Individuals and groups have been talking to there elected reps for quite some time about this. Its easy for you to say "if its against the law, don't ride there" but the fact is the law is stupid and unnecessary, not based upon safety (you can ride a horse down the middle of the road) but more because we have some greenies in this County that think just because they don't like motorized sports, no one else should either. Maybe I should start complaining to the County about the horses on the road, and the loud motorbikes that run past my house, etc, etc. But I don't because I like people to be able to enjoy their activities and if I have to put up with a bit of inconvenience once in awhile, big deal.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see, one guy sets precedent for the area. seems like the vocal minorities get there way. maybe become another louder vocal minority, may not work but may be worth trying. although only takes one crazy azz sledder to ruin it for the rest.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see, one guy sets precedent for the area. seems like the vocal minorities get there way. maybe become another louder vocal minority, may not work but may be worth trying. although only takes one crazy azz sledder to ruin it for the rest.

It's not just one person. There are a lot of horse stables on the west side of Elk Island Park (along 210) that are opposed to sleds, it spooks their horses when they are riding in the ditches.

My horses just give me a funny look when I'm riding in the yard.:cool:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
then let all the dam horses out. should keep them horsey peeps busy for a few days while you go riding.:d:d:d:d:beer:

friggin hay burners.

Last edited:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not just one person. There are a lot of horse stables on the west side of Elk Island Park (along 210) that are opposed to sleds, it spooks their horses when they are riding in the ditches.

My horses just give me a funny look when I'm riding in the yard.:cool:
Yeah it's unfortunate that they think that everyone else should curtail their activities just because of their lifestyle.:(

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my horses used to spook from the sleds.... quads never bothered them but the two stroke ding-datta-ding-datta-ding spooked them....

Now they are used to it and are curious...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my horses used to spook from the sleds.... quads never bothered them but the two stroke ding-datta-ding-datta-ding spooked them....

Now they are used to it and are curious...

was that because of the sleds or was that the rider? just wondering:d:d

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's one of those "soft" laws.... I'm told the highway traffic act says you are not to ride the ditches of 2 & 3 number highways.... I could not find this literature (I confess I didn't study it all) what I did find was that the boulevards are off limits and there is a speed limit of 40 km/h...

I was told of a fellow being pulled over in Lac.Ste.Anne county so I called the county for clarification because we ride the ditches of 43 & 16 & 633 & 33 regularly and have NEVER had an issue with the RCMP...Infact I have pulled into Beach corner gas station with the RCMP there to fuel up my sled and had a nice chat with them about the riding conditions, was told to "have fun and play safe" (Beach corner is in Parkland co). Lac.Ste.Anne county manager told me that the RCMP do not enforce sled use on the highway ditches within the county and that Peace officers are instructed to check for reg/ins but under no circumstances issue fines for riding in the ditch.

I was told the officer involved must have been new or having a bad day and if I were to recieve a fine from a county/town peace officer to politely accept it then call the county on monday to have it voided...

East of edmonton is a different world...

I have been pulled over lots buy the county mounty that potrols for quads and sled and he only asks for reg and ins and says have a nice day. even sat and talked a few times on the side of 16 between my house and kims #1 not a bad guy if you stop and are his good side. Its the guys that try to run for no reason that get us all in chit. I think his excat words were " I wont hand out ticket for riding along the highway if you ride sensible and have your papers. It nice when people stop for me." I have on the other hand been pulled over the cop was a dick and tried handing out as many tickets as he could and i said no no that i had talked to the rcmp and they said it was ok and he just gave a no reg ticket. But this is just west of the city have had the same in lac st anne to.

Top Bottom