Rapter 700 good for mudding and having fun?

Mudman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a rapter 700 and wondering if good for mudding not doing really deep mud, just around 2" thick and just having fun. No trail or track and live where it is very flat. with lots of feilds and very little hills. Live on a farm.is it a good quad for your first sport quad. I have dirt biked and quaded before. Please Reply

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, there is no ground clearance and it doesn't care for deep mud at all. This is a sport quad for ripping the trails fast and hard, generally speaking the 4 wheel drive fully independent suspension is what you want for mudding. I know of a few guys that run these but they are pretty beat up at the end of the ride.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a rapter 700 and wondering if good for mudding and just having fun. No trail or track and live where it is very flat. with lots of feilds and very little hills. Live on a farm.is it a good quad for your first sport quad. I have dirt biked and quaded before. Please Reply

For mudding no. Only 2wd quad I've ever seen do decent in mud was a KFX700. Even that won't follow a Honda 350 with decent tires through most stuff.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a rapter 700 and wondering if good for mudding and just having fun. No trail or track and live where it is very flat. with lots of feilds and very little hills. Live on a farm.is it a good quad for your first sport quad. I have dirt biked and quaded before. Please Reply

How old are you man?

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up on dirt bikes and sport quads all my life even the utility on the farm. But when it came to getting my quad i really wanted the LTR 450 or the kfx 450! a.) I found out they do not produce the Ltr any more and sell the kfx in canada anymore and b.) i truly realized that with a 4x4 quad i would have more fun all year around. So i decided to go with a Mudpro! And ill get another racer sometime soon.

If you don't want to piss your 4x4 friends off by making them get off their quads and push u i would get a 4x4 quad :p!!!

CR

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust him^^^
Unless you can imagine any joy dead lifting a 450lb rubber boot suctioned in a mud hole.
I've tried it. Learned my sport quad pretty much alienates me from 90% of the runs that go on here.

hedge

Reaction score
sort of related... a couple guys have ridden us throughout the winter with their outlaws. They have amazed me where they've went, the independent rear end really helps.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, we don't ride with sporties either, way to much work to haul them out and having to always wait., Motorbikes the same thing.

Wouldn't say that about the bikes! My dad and I did a rally/race against all quads (we were the only bikers) and we went thru all the skeg they did!!! And well hahah we lapped them!! Once a quad plugs off the trail thats it it's backed up! Dirt bikes give birth to new trails!

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get it I had one and if you know how to ride you will have a great time on it. They will do endless wheelies and are OK on muddy trails as long as you ride agressivly and pick good lines. Its not a mud bogger but I could get farther than a lot of guys on 4x4 quads just by picking better lines and jumping over some spots etc.

Sold it last year and got a renegade 800 xxc but still miss the old Raptor

Sent from my Note2

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not worth the pain, they will get around fine, but you have to ride the ever living crap out of them. My yfz 450 is stroked and running tallest gears I can. In tough going i start in 3rd and let clutch out at 10,300 on rev limiter. I'm always 3rd or 4th tapped in tough going. I have to stop and wait for 4wd's or I crash and go over the bars or into the trees, or damage my chain. Ripped all my skids clean off, so I don't run them anymore. Sheared the bolts off on my swing arm skid plate. In ruts I stand on one side nerf bars and lean for all I'm worth to try and pull high side up. I can't go where a 4wd can go at its limit but ill come close. But I'm usually really beat up from it. Brute force and ignorance will take you a long way if your not afraid of consequences.

edit: the IRS of an outlaw or 700xx would be a great equalizer for tough going. 4" ground clearance doesn't cut it. Chains don't last long when they are spinning 60mph on rocks and trees and gravel. Glad you bought a 4wd. Good choice. My 4wds have all been sold for various reasons. Mainly life. My 450 is pretty beat and can't get enough selling it to sell it so I use it for whatever comes up

Last edited:

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a Predator for a few years, it went pretty good if you picked the right line but beat the living crap outa ya. Go 4x4.

Mudman

Reaction score
Not doing really thick big mud holes. just in the fields. thanks for all the replies. I would like a renegade but they are too expensive

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go 4x4. At least you can use it more and in the winter. I would sooner ride my dirt bike then a sport quad.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Yup, we don't ride with sporties either, way to much work to haul them out and having to always wait., Motorbikes the same thing.
I'm sorry but I need to chime in here.... You haven't ridden with dirt bikes before other than kids or newbies, have you? There is NOWHERE you can hide from a dirt bike and rider. I can cover 70km of the exact same terrain as you in 2 hours or less. Anywhere Anytime. I'm far from pro. You can make a sport quad go places as well but a lot more work. Keep it out of the mud.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Seen lots of sport quads go amazing places, but its hard on the machine and the rider. Dirt bikes on the other hand will go pretty much wherever you point them and do it quickly. Only thing they don't like is ice and excessive fallen timber.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only "might work" is a kfx 700 V Force ......You can run bigger tires 24/25 lots of power and they are auto belt drive . That means you can get of give it a push and pin it..........they go good in LIGHT mud.Mine had a 30 shot of nitrous so wheel speed was not a problem. They bno longer make them,why you ask..........
Everyone just buys a Renny..........

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I need to chime in here.... You haven't ridden with dirt bikes before other than kids or newbies, have you? There is NOWHERE you can hide from a dirt bike and rider. I can cover 70km of the exact same terrain as you in 2 hours or less. Anywhere Anytime. I'm far from pro. You can make a sport quad go places as well but a lot more work. Keep it out of the mud.

I agree. Im old and fat, but it would take a young guy on a stolen 4x4 to keep up to the 450 dirt bike in the bush.

Top Bottom