Rapid Bike 3 for MPI Stage 1 Apex

Apextenn

Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering if anyone out their is running a rapid bike 3 tuner for the MPI stage 1 turbo kits i currently have the GEMS controller but that thing is a piece of crap and want to get something that is more set and forget. Just wondering if anyone had luck with it as well is their mabey a better controller out their as well. Thanks for any input

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the same. I'm considering going with Boondockers box as it at least has an LCD screen, which makes it a little more user friendly, and it has a boost sensor.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DArren @ E&S Motorcycles has them also in Fort Saskatchewan 780-997-3818
Tell him your from snow and mud and snowseeker told u to call him and he will look after you.

Apextenn

Reaction score
Thanks for the all info guys so would the boondockers box be better then the rapid bike box what is difference can you customize it as much or is it more like the gem controller?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we sell the rapid bike i have one on my 08 apex se mtn, no issues always ajustable, ran it on stock apex, then added exhaust, then shock wave secondary, and Yamy - G force super charger and its easy to program and fine tune....

any questions contact Mark in our service department he has installed quite a few. plus with the rapid bike on a stock nytro u get 24 hp!!!! on pump gas
my buddies runnning the nytro with all the goodies on it, rapid bike, and we just installed a super charger and again just reprogrammed the mapping on the rb3....

just my 2 cents

Terry

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other bennefit of boondocker over GEMS is it is boost referenced (boost sensor alters fuel map) and you can save upto 5 maps. I'm planning on setting up a few maps based on altitude, if needed. Just a plan at this point....no real experience.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running the GEMS box for 3 years now and no problems, just set it and don't f*&#k with it, I keep mine velcroed under the hood so it's not so easily accessed. I also run a A/F gauge just to keep tabs on it and no issues yet. If you want, go to MPI's site and check the updates for what settings work and how they affect the problems we have had.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a RB3 for sale. It will work for your application. If you want you could bring it up and I will put it in for you and set up the map also. you can test it out on Blackstrap if you want.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shiznitt100 is installing a RB3 on his stage 2 blower. You could try PMing him and get his take.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
installed and still tuning, first of all absolutely %100 better for throttle responseq. but as far as setting and leaving, i am not so sure on that. it changes from going up the trail and down, depending on load it changes from perfect readings to rich condition. the rb3 is suposto be altitude compensating, i have heard other wise. i have not had too much riding time on it yet just up and tune, right now have almost perfect a/f at idle to 6000rpm, 600rpm,7500 is way rich to the point of missfires, then wide open it is 12-12.2.
also when full throttling from idle it falls on its face and almost blows up.
pros- so far it is consistant numbers, every pull seems to be the same, way better response does not stall anymore when done a pull, starts and stays running, just over all runs way better
cons, i am not sure if it is programming issue but depending on load(ie up trail to down trail) the a/f really change from almost perfect to very rich as there is no load on eng.(should be trying to lean out as load decreases but doesnt), but i am not sure if its programming still or if that will be corrected with more tuning.
so for now i guess i could say i am happy with the rb3, i think next sled i do i will be installing a micro squirt and adjusting, way cheaper and more options.

looking for test pilots.. will do tuning for free if you want a micro squirt, just pay for the unit i will do the work and make the maps.. also for 400 dollars it can be used as a full stand alone altitude compensating boost sensing fully programmable programmer.. my 2 cents

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't claim that I am an expert on the rapid bike system, but I was at dave micku's shop about a month ago and he was explaining the system. He said he has a tuner bike which you hook up to your machine and ride for the day. The tuner bike will make a map for your rapid bike based on your a/f ratios. To me it sounds like a real good system. Apparently the tuner bike is around $4gs so you would probably want to hook up with a shop that has one and go for a ride.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running an attitude box on my apex and really like it. I have it set and have rode Kakwa, Blue River and Revelstoke this last winter and never had to adjust. I run about 12lb and with the aem gauge it runs consistant. Mine is a boondocker 2860 turbo.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont want to run the "boost it" fuel system, go with the BD box. Don't waste your money and time, go with the right set-up from the begining and enjoy riding rather than struggling with tuning...

I do know how to use the software and have built maps for the RB3. but why make something harder than it really needs to be for the consumer/rider/tuner. A happy customer is a return customer.....JMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom