Ranger vs Tacoma

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Toyota builds nice products for sure, but their trucks are overpriced, short on option and cab configuration choices and are harder on fuel than the big three. The Tacoma gets about the same fuel economy as a half ton ford or GM.
if you only need a light duty truck, IMHO the better choice would be the ranger. Cheaper to buy, better on fuel, and according to most of the reviews online is quieter and rides better. The only advantage to the Toyota will be resale value, they do hold value well. I think that the days of Toyota being much more reliable are gone. Most domestic trucks are pretty bulletproof now too.
I don’t agree with the fuel. In the summer with my 2017 on stock size tires on stock rims I average 9.5 to 10.5 l/100 heading to the shuswaps. In winter I have steel rims with a bit bigger studded winter tire and I average 13 to 15 l/100. If it’s 30below then it drops significantly. My 05 was not near this good.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t agree with the fuel. In the summer with my 2017 on stock size tires on stock rims I average 9.5 to 10.5 l/100 heading to the shuswaps. In winter I have steel rims with a bit bigger studded winter tire and I average 13 to 15 l/100. If it’s 30below then it drops significantly. My 05 was not near this good.

Which Toyota do you have?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Which Toyota do you have?

He runs a 17' Tacoma.... My 5.7L Tundra is thirsty, I probably average 15 - 17 L/100km hwy/city combined. - I ran a 16 GMC sierra Kodiak that was much better on fuel than my Tundra but also spent a lot of time in the shop for a new truck.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wifes Ranger has to be the quietest vehicle I have driven and is very road compliant. Its is very nice to drive.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
He runs a 17' Tacoma.... My 5.7L Tundra is thirsty, I probably average 15 - 17 L/100km hwy/city combined. - I ran a 16 GMC sierra Kodiak that was much better on fuel than my Tundra but also spent a lot of time in the shop for a new truck.
Ya it’s a 17 taco with the 3.5l and a 6 speed manual. Crew can short box

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it’s a 17 taco with the 3.5l and a 6 speed manual. Crew can short box

Your mileage is pretty good, but it’s not markedly better than a half ton from the big three, any of which would have much more capability as far as work goes.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Your mileage is pretty good, but it’s not markedly better than a half ton from the big three, any of which would have much more capability as far as work goes.
I didn’t buy this truck to compare to a half ton. I already have a diesel 1 ton crew cab longbox for hauling. This truck was bought so I could fly to my cabin light and cheap. I can do the gorge road in an hour and fifteen min. That’s 90km of fsr. That’s what it’s excels at. It’s also my wife’s daily driver and our vehicle for if we have to go into the city at all.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went for a test drive in a current gen Tacoma and it was probably the most uncomfortable vehicle I've drove and that includes a jeep wrangler. Not sure why but just my 15 minute first impression.
Havent test drove a ranger yet but have drove a canyon and colorado which I found very nice to drive. I did a 180 on my last vehicle switch going from an STi to a FX4 and was trying to find something in between at the time of testing midsize trucks

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me thinks some who’ve commented haven’t owned, spec’d or driven a Toyota. Wife’s tundras have been great lower priced as a full load than big 3. Tight and I mean tight after 2 years 80,000 km, zero shop time, all the options except push button, heated steering and remote start. I love the headlights, led insanely bright and have a dial in cab to adjust aim. Mileage is not as good but not bad maybe 5% higher than her ecoboosts or hemi.

Last edited:

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me thinks some who’ve commented haven’t owned, spec’d or driven a Toyota. Wife’s tundras have been great lower priced as a full load than big 3. Tight and I mean tight after 2 years 80,000 km, zero shop time, all the options except push button, heated steering and remote start. I love the headlights, led insanely bright and have a dial in cab to adjust aim. Mileage is not as good but not bad maybe 5% higher than her ecoboosts or hemi.

To be fair some people commenting havent owned or driven a ranger or a tacoma either. Video was posted to start a discussion and as with all brand related things peoples opinions dont agree but here for input positively or negatively regardless as I am considering a midsize for next truck

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2.3l ECO boost in the Ranger has been around now for 10yrs roughly, so now really new. The interior electronics are the same as f-150, so not new. The only thing really new in the drive-train is the 10spd auto. So I rolled the dice and so far so good. The only things I don't like are the useless running boards, and the auto stop idle button that must be pushed every time the vehicle is started. I plan on putting the auto lowering running boards on in the spring. I put a bed slide in it for the wife and a Undercover hard tonneau cover.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
To be fair some people commenting havent owned or driven a ranger or a tacoma either. Video was posted to start a discussion and as with all brand related things peoples opinions dont agree but here for input positively or negatively regardless as I am considering a midsize for next truck

The Nissan Frontier is a really nice little truck too, The Pro4-X is a sexy package

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Nissan Frontier is a really nice little truck too, The Pro4-X is a sexy package

I never even looked at the Nissan, my brother had Titan that gave him a lot of grief, and the nearest dealer was 2hrs away.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I never even looked at the Nissan, my brother had Titan that gave him a lot of grief, and the nearest dealer was 2hrs away.

Hmmm that's rare, My brother (Plio7) has been running Titans for over a decade (3 or 4 different ones) and to my knowledge he's never had a problem with any of them. When I was Surveying we used to run Pathfinders and 2wd Hustlers, they all made over 500K km without issue and my personal Pathfinder did 425K km with just maintenance. My daughter has an 06 pathfinder that has caused her a little grief but still nothing major.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 09 pathfinder for just about 3 years, sold it and bought a new f150. The pathfinder was a really nice vehicle but got worse mileage than the f150 by about 2-3mpg. From what I’ve heard the newer Nissan stuff is still hard on fuel.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To campare the Ranger and Tacoma on speed , comfort ,options, fuel economy is fine.
But to say the Ford is going to be anywhere near the Toyota in quality is just speculation,
until the Ranger is 10 to 20 years old and lots have over 400k, with little or no repairs.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now if ford released the Raptor Ranger like Australia. Powered with RS version of the 2.3 :)

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing really new in the drive-train is the 10spd auto.

Is that was yours has? How are you liking that so far? I really wanna try one of those out with a 5.0 Coyote, heard they shift as smooth as an Allison. That 10 speed is gonna be a game changer.

If anyone has a Nissan 3.3L (I think?) I have a complete factory supercharger ready to bolt in. It came out of an Xterra Pro4-X.
It's in excellent shape, bearings are good & tight. Comes with everything needed to drop in except the belt.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that was yours has? How are you liking that so far? I really wanna try one of those out with a 5.0 Coyote, heard they shift as smooth as an Allison. That 10 speed is gonna be a game changer.

Yes my Ranger has the 10 speed. It works really good, it keeps the turbo spooled. The trucks is pretty quick.

Top Bottom