Random Camping/Quading around Drayton Valley AB

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do a search on the Brazeau ATV Club, or do a search for MAP 14. Blue Rapids Provincial Park Recreation Area - Brazeau ATV Club. There is no random camping inside this Provincial Recreation Area, but there seems to be large trail system, North of the N S River, off of Secondary Highway 620 that runs to Lodgepole, and West of RR 83 that runs South to the N S River where there is a Staging/Camping Area. (B ATV Club)???.(Brazeau ATV Club and the Eagle Point-Blue Rapids Parks Council, all this information was found on Line, and a little knowledge of the area form years ago.

Good luck, Bruce

jayinwww

Reaction score
I am also wanting to know if there is any good trails around this area. Mostly a big trail system area that would be around the size of bruderhiem or bellis natural area. I saw a few trails on Google maps but they only look like short trails. Maybe I have to go to rocky mountain house?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I am also wanting to know if there is any good trails around this area. Mostly a big trail system area that would be around the size of bruderhiem or bellis natural area. I saw a few trails on Google maps but they only look like short trails. Maybe I have to go to rocky mountain house?

contact the Brazeau ATV Club.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google the Brazeau West Canal campground. You will find lots of places to random camp around there along the road. Don't worry about the "no OHV" signs because they only apply to the dyke - everything on the opposite side of the road is fair game. I went out there just after May Long and enjoyed it out there.

Just do yourself a favor and LOCK EVERYTHING! Don't even leave stuff lying around while your sleeping. Frigg'n bastages will even steal your helmets while you sleep if you leave them laying around. The group I went with even went as far to run alarmed trip wires when we went to sleep.

jayinwww

Reaction score
Google the Brazeau West Canal campground. You will find lots of places to random camp around there along the road. Don't worry about the "no OHV" signs because they only apply to the dyke - everything on the opposite side of the road is fair game. I went out there just after May Long and enjoyed it out there.

Just do yourself a favor and LOCK EVERYTHING! Don't even leave stuff lying around while your sleeping. Frigg'n bastages will even steal your helmets while you sleep if you leave them laying around. The group I went with even went as far to run alarmed trip wires when we went to sleep.

that's crazy. I don't plan on camping their just want to go riding for the day. Do you know of a main staging area or closest intersection to a good trail system area? I will check out Google maps as well thx

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's crazy. I don't plan on camping their just want to go riding for the day. Do you know of a main staging area or closest intersection to a good trail system area? I will check out Google maps as well thx

Well, you can stage in that area.

The Brazeau club has a staging area as well much closer to Drayton Valley. Directions: From Drayton Valley take highway 22 to secondary highway 620 (Lodgepole) turn south on RR 83 and follow the signs.

Or you can just find a spot along 620. There are a number of good spots to stage closer to the dam.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com

I agree it is a nice place, and I don't blame your buddies, there has been a whole lot of theft out there the past few years. I would do the same. It has been a while since I was last there, and I don't know if the same guy is running the campground, we stayed there a couple of times, but he is an a$$____. don't talk too loud after 11, and god forbid you laugh at him! he looses his shat! and first thing in the AM you will get turfed, and served a lovely disturbing the peace ticket. Random camping in the area is much better, other than the theft and lack of security

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree it is a nice place, and I don't blame your buddies, there has been a whole lot of theft out there the past few years. I would do the same. It has been a while since I was last there, and I don't know if the same guy is running the campground, we stayed there a couple of times, but he is an a$$____. don't talk too loud after 11, and god forbid you laugh at him! he looses his shat! and first thing in the AM you will get turfed, and served a lovely disturbing the peace ticket. Random camping in the area is much better, other than the theft and lack of security

They didn't give us any grief this year but we weren't overly rowdy either. Actually, I kinda liked that camp ground and will probably go there again.

jayinwww

Reaction score
Great thank you very much. I was talking to another individual on YouTube and he had mentioned the trails out there are ripped up and are in pretty bad shape in some areas. Have you ridden these areas recently? You think I would be alright on a racing quad? Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate your help!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thank you very much. I was talking to another individual on YouTube and he had mentioned the trails out there are ripped up and are in pretty bad shape in some areas. Have you ridden these areas recently? You think I would be alright on a racing quad? Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate your help!

I haven't been out there recently, but you might have a tough time with a racing quad out by RR83. I think the trails out by West Canal are a lot more agreeable for a 2wd from what I saw when I went out there a month ago - we spent most of the day riding in the canal which is a nice ride.

Top Bottom