Ram 2500 Trans

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never seen above about 210 with mine. But truck is 100% stock so I'm not concerned. It's a 13 and pretty sure they've upgraded trans cooling so it's not really an issue. I've worked it pretty dahm hard and no temps above that.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What trans temperature do you run.

I burnt mine up running 260 degrees.

If I start seeing 210+ I really pay attention, perhaps this is early
I have found that pulling into different spots with heavy loads on twisty rds where the converter doesnt want to stay locked up I will just switch over to 4 low and continue to tour in

Like I said I have always been nervous of the tranny in this thing, when i ende up going auto i strongly looked at gm however the pretty much 10k $ differance between the dealers shifted me back to dodge (which have always been good to me) but the difference in $ may have been that the gm dealer had 1 on his lot where as the dodge had 20+

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think think the trans tune is key here!

Perhaps but I believe more paying attention and proper flushing intervals
I had an f150 yrs ago that I ended up cracking the tranny housing trying to get somewhere I shouldnt have.
With 350000 kms on that truck when the tranny shop pulled it apart to get sensors ? for the used 1 i replaced it with he said I must drive very nice cause he doesnt see tranny's come in with 100000kms that the internals were in that good of shape and trust me it was worked for 1/2 ton with 100g of diesel and 4 grown men at a minimum most days, and I have never been told i drive easy... lol

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not saying nobody else pays attention but I have worked on service rigs for 17 yrs and you have to pay attention to weather the converter is locked up or not as most are only 5 or 6 sp autos which are great over hole but less than stellar travelling down the highway

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not saying nobody else pays attention but I have worked on service rigs for 17 yrs and you have to pay attention to weather the converter is locked up or not as most are only 5 or 6 sp autos which are great over hole but less than stellar travelling down the highway

I was climbing a big hill in rig street.
With 40 ft toyhauler.

So it got hot.

I pinned it.

Clutch and Grab now built me a towing trans. :)

Works great

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today on way to Rocky hiway 11

Exhaust 947 F
Boost 10 psi
Trans 187 F
Coolant 213 F

That is on rolling hills

Good speed limit or so

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes any time trans is locked up fluid cools, when unlock and converter is fluid coupling is where the heat comes from

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was climbing a big hill in rig street.
With 40 ft toyhauler.

So it got hot.

I pinned it.

Places like that is where I switch into 4 low and proceed

also I have installed a fan over ride so that I can turn the fan on manually so it spins 100% as they kick on at variable speeds.
it was just over $200 installed from shocker mechanical in camrose (it is their own product) however lamb ford is now selling and installing as well
I did that more so for engine heat as I found myself hitting 220 eng and that was were the fan locked up and spun 100% which was to late as far as I was concerned its just a switch in the cab you can flip on as your coming up to a big hill then shut off once your done.

Top Bottom