Ram 2500 Trans

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has built up a 68RFE trans? I just bought truck and running efi live, and I am looking at pulling and putting revmax, or sun coast internals in. Anyone have experience and or suggestions?
Thanks

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im still running my stock but plan on running a 68RFE from commercial powertrain in Calgary when I cook it.
Ive heard good things about the revmax.

Note: "Contents of this forum have been read by the CIA, FBI, IRS, BATF, DHS, NSA, TSA, EPA, BLM, MSNBC, CrTC, FEDS, ADMINS &MODS. There is absolutely NO expectation of privacy."

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll likely smoke it eventually, my 48Re didn't last more then 15,000k after engine mods. I went with NADP full billet tranny and torque converter. Shift great and haven't had and issue as of yet 140,000 on it now. At minimum install cryo shafts and servo, tighten up bands.

John Boy

Reaction score
I have a Comercial Powertrain 68 in mine and have had zero issues with it. I'm running 464/480 with supporting mods and have 15000km on. Give Steve a call and ask him any questions you have.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll likely smoke it eventually, my 48Re didn't last more then 15,000k after engine mods. I went with NADP full billet tranny and torque converter. Shift great and haven't had and issue as of yet 140,000 on it now. At minimum install cryo shafts and servo, tighten up bands.
The 68 is nothing like the 48RE - there are no bands in that transmission. I would never consider a 48RE in any truck with horsepower, or used to pull. The 68 is VERY stout, and if serviced regularly, will last a long time. Over 250,000 km on my last one (used to tow or haul daily), was serviced every 40,000 km, and never once had an issue. Replaced that truck only because work mandated a newer vehicle... That said, nothing wrong with beefing up the powertrain.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Commercial power train no questions for a 68 specially with our dollar the way it is, just over 10k and good for 900hp

Cummins610

Reaction score
Commercial Powertrain is $10,200 installed. 3 year unlimited km warranty, no matter your hp level. If you want a stocker we got one from Trans Express in Camrose with good results, but if you want something better than stock Commercial Power train is your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact DJ at clutch and grab(site sponsor)... They have built several for us, with billet internals and torque converter .... Way cheaper than the money you're talking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what kinda money? How many Km's on them? How many ponies?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact DJ at clutch and grab(site sponsor)... They have built several for us, with billet internals and torque converter .... Way cheaper than the money you're talking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yah 10200 is way to much for a trans! I get it that it's probably the best of the best but wow that's crazy, and probably for the average guy it's over kill.

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutch & grab transmission ..... 780 413 3170 and ask for dj. Tell him i sent you, and you're on snowandmud.com

Thanks, will do. Truck has 1200km. Just eliminating all foreseeable issues. Doing head studs, and trans is next. I know some will think I am crazy, but I use truck for pulling enclosed and 5th wheel. I hate having issues and prefer not to have problems.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I doubt you'll have any problems with stock trans... Only once they get into higher mileages they might have problems. I know of many stock trans with over 200,000kms and no problems. I personally would wait til manufacturer's transmission warranty is expired ;)

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
240000km here stock tranny. Run a tow tune and a little more fun street tune when im not towing. No issues yet. Truck may be rusted right out before I cook tranny.

Note: "Contents of this forum have been read by the CIA, FBI, IRS, BATF, DHS, NSA, TSA, EPA, BLM, MSNBC, CrTC, FEDS, ADMINS &MODS. There is absolutely NO expectation of privacy."

seen46

Reaction score
If all you want is a reliable truck to pull your enclosed and 5th wheel with than i would leave it alone. just keep it at or near stock power level and do not go over. the 68 has turned out to be a fairly reliable trans if not abused especially on 2010+ trucks. check this thread out i came across recently A minor milestone!!! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum apparently has over million km now on the original trans.

Last edited:

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call the 68rfe all that exceptional. My daily driven 10' has 147,000km and it needs trans work for sure. My cummins is fully deleted and has been since day one of its life. Straight from the dealer to my friends diesel shop for the delete. I've run a tow tune since new, and until now it's been flawless. I baby my truck, it's allowed lots of time to warm up every single day. I seriously drive it super nice. I have a 850hp foxbody mustang to pound the **** out of, it's plenty fast and GREAT stress relief. Why bag the daily driver? Anyway, 10G from commercial powertrain is way out of my realm. Just can't justify it. I called clutch and grab, had a chat and they quoted me basically 3G. That a a rebuilds with new clutches and a rebuilt converter. No VB included in that price.

Although i I like the price they quoted, I'm sceptic. How good of a trans will a guy get for 3G? Typically in life you get exactly what you pay for. I don't want to travel this road again any time real soon.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We're doing a 48re hd with billet torque convertor etc for less than $4k in a welding truck right now.... Overly abused and beat on welding truck with 270000kms on original trans.....

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're doing a 48re hd with billet torque convertor etc for less than $4k in a welding truck right now.... Overly abused and beat on welding truck with 270000kms on original trans.....

Wowsers. That's a pretty long life for 48re.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read about guys going back in time to a 48 instead of the 68. What all is needed and involved in doing this. Pro's?

Top Bottom