question on preparing quad for deep 4x4ing

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a snorkel kit for my 05 700 sportsman, but i'm curious as to what all one does to seal up their quad nice and tight? I see lots of kits with 3 or 4 snorkles, what are they all venting? i realize air intake and clutching, but what else is their to get them ready. right now mines ok in the mud but if i were to go ripping through a foot of water the thing would burp and fart and barely make it through a 20' stretch. do the diffs need venting as well? thanks in advance.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some kits vent fuel,and diffs,and t cases. Try keeping water out of major components.
You should not be sputtering now it sounds like the water is not that deep.
Imdooin made his own snorkels. He showed us camping.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327761695.033515.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. It worked good for him till he rolled it.

But hey all it took was a 4 guy beer stop and the queen was ready again

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's right. Too much fun.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a snorkel kit for my 05 700 sportsman, but i'm curious as to what all one does to seal up their quad nice and tight? I see lots of kits with 3 or 4 snorkles, what are they all venting? i realize air intake and clutching, but what else is their to get them ready. right now mines ok in the mud but if i were to go ripping through a foot of water the thing would burp and fart and barely make it through a 20' stretch. do the diffs need venting as well? thanks in advance.
Joking side...LOL...besides the engine air intake, CVT intake and exhaust (3 big tubes), you should find and extend both diff vents, transmission vent (I'm not sure about Polaris, but most have a vent), and fuel tank breather(s). I just use 3/16 tubing run up under the pod. A simple "trick" on the diffs is to use the Can Am bellows breathers....they are about 4 bucks and saves you having to run tubing all over the place. They work great....funny thing though, for 2012, Can Am went to full diff breather lines....not sure why as I never had an issue with the bellows.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also on the Polaris they were known to have the seal leak behing the primary clutch. So you should pull the clutch and smear some silicone around the seal. Also put dielectric grease in you sparkplug boot then I've heard of people smearing silicone around the boot to make sure water doesnt get in there. Silicone around the airbox lid is another good idea.

I found this website and have it saved, Im gonna follow this somewhat when I build mine. If your a little bit mechaniclly smart you could probably build your own. One thing about it, you can have it more customized to fit your style if you build it your self.

Last edited:

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question to people that have done it is, "Is it better to run you snorkel lines with flexible hose into the PVC stand pipe or run ridgid PVC throughout?" I know flexible would be easier but which one it better? Why do they use rigid vs flexible?

tool_man

Reaction score
Buy a Mudpro :) . I had abs on my t-cat and it's worked the best so far, absolutely water tight. My MP factory snorkels seem to need silicone as the factory fittings just don't seal 100%. Make sure fuel tank is vented, both diffs and the carb has a vent (talk to Grant) as well as clutch/airbox and your rocking. Then we will take you deep at Nesbit!

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cool. thanks Tim. on a different note, are going to make it this trip with us next weekend?
Buy a Mudpro :) . I had abs on my t-cat and it's worked the best so far, absolutely water tight. My MP factory snorkels seem to need silicone as the factory fittings just don't seal 100%. Make sure fuel tank is vented, both diffs and the carb has a vent (talk to Grant) as well as clutch/airbox and your rocking. Then we will take you deep at Nesbit!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Along with the snorkels you will need re-locate the rad if you wish to play in the mud. The old sportsmans all had the rad down low with the winch above it =plugged rad =overheat in about 15 minutes..................................

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't believe all you mud pro advisors missed the obvious, dielectric grease in every electrical connection you can find. and bring beer for snorkle extensions.

Snorked N' Torked 1000

Reaction score
another suggestion would be to extend all you diff venting lines to the handle bar locations this might prevent issues in the future. i would use the rigid pvc throughout the entire thing. this way you can customize it to you liking. rad relocation is highly suggested my dad had a polaris quad a while ago and just with minimal mud riding it plugged up because it was so low down. we had to stop and throw tons of water in there it cool it and try to clean it. if you do relocate it when you have the rad out already you should give it a very thurough cleaning before reinstalling it. :) hope this helps.

Top Bottom