Question for the Electricians

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a backup power generator that runs on natural gas. Our house is in the same yard as the in-laws, the power splits off at the pole ( this is where I want to set up the genset ) and goes to each house. We have 100 amps going to each house, i believe the transfer switches are only good for 100 Amps? Is it possible to to have two 100 amp switches on the genset or are there bigger transfer switches?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a backup power generator that runs on natural gas. Our house is in the same yard as the in-laws, the power splits off at the pole ( this is where I want to set up the genset ) and goes to each house. We have 100 amps going to each house, i believe the transfer switches are only good for 100 Amps? Is it possible to to have two 100 amp switches on the genset or are there bigger transfer switches?

transfer switches come in all sizes

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Generac systems come with 200amp switches, if supplied in kit. You should go with the 20kw generator then. Ours works very well even started at -30 a while back.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Generac systems come with 200amp switches, if supplied in kit. You should go with the 20kw generator then. Ours works very well even started at -30 a while back.

That’s the one i was actually looking at but 22kw, I was getting differing answers regarding the size of the transfer switches available. Is yours on natural gas or diesel?

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a 17kw new on Kijiji right now, it will put out 70amps full load would work for emergency where the 22kw is 90amp

Top Bottom