Question (Belt Slip?)

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm totally new to Polaris. I just bought a 2008 700 RMK. Just had the clutches serviced and a brand new belt. Today, first time actually doing some carving, it felt as though the belt would slip. It would only do this when it was a low speed carve. (aprox. 20 kmh) One time it even made a bit of a ratcheting noise. The thing runs like a top and so easy to get up on its side, compared to me REV, but don't like this little glitch. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.:beer:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check your driver bearings. I was in Revy in March and an 08 Dragon had the same symptoms, to the point that we thought the chain was loose too. Turned out that the driver bearing had let go and the sled had to get air lifted out of there.

Brad62

Reaction score
sounds like the drivers ratcheting, check axle bearings and if they are good then tighten track a little until the ratcheting is gone.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm totally new to Polaris. I just bought a 2008 700 RMK. Just had the clutches serviced and a brand new belt. Today, first time actually doing some carving, it felt as though the belt would slip. It would only do this when it was a low speed carve. (aprox. 20 kmh) One time it even made a bit of a ratcheting noise. The thing runs like a top and so easy to get up on its side, compared to me REV, but don't like this little glitch. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.:beer:

Can't help you Dave I am a ski-doo guy.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your driver bearings. I was in Revy in March and an 08 Dragon had the same symptoms, to the point that we thought the chain was loose too. Turned out that the driver bearing had let go and the sled had to get air lifted out of there.

Thanks Quadtrash. Did the sled show any other signs before you finally figured out what it was? Everything else seems good.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Quadtrash. Did the sled show any other signs before you finally figured out what it was? Everything else seems good.

The owner of the sled said it felt like the belt was slipping at lower speeds, I took the sled for a ride and noticed the feeling of a loose track too. So we all stopped, tightened up the track as well put a bit more tension on the chain(case). Rode it for a couple of more hours, and then the owner(member here) said it was doing it again. So we flipped it on it's side and noticed that the driver bearing was letting go on the chaincase side. Got the GPS location of the sled, back near Turbo hill and doubled out till we could get cell service to call in a chopper to retrieve it.
That's all I can tell you ghost, but the symptoms sure sound identical to yours. I would check the bearings asap just in case?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The owner of the sled said it felt like the belt was slipping at lower speeds, I took the sled for a ride and noticed the feeling of a loose track too. So we all stopped, tightened up the track as well put a bit more tension on the chain(case). Rode it for a couple of more hours, and then the owner(member here) said it was doing it again. So we flipped it on it's side and noticed that the driver bearing was letting go on the chaincase side. Got the GPS location of the sled, back near Turbo hill and doubled out till we could get cell service to call in a chopper to retrieve it.
That's all I can tell you ghost, but the symptoms sure sound identical to yours. I would check the bearings asap just in case?

Thanks again. I'll have a look at the bearings tomorrow. And...thanks Catmando, that may be an option as well.:beer:

aceofspades9963

Reaction score
Yea Check your track my d8 started doing that in deep powder in oasis one day and it turned out to be a loose track , it would only do it in powder not on trail .

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had complete front to back service done on it and track tension was set up properly. I'm going out tomorrow or Friday for a short ride so I'm gonna have a look at the bearing when I get it off the trailer. Thanks for the feedback everyone! :beer:

flpp

Reaction score
I can't explain the ratcheting noise however, I had the exact same type of problem with my D7. Great on the trail and seemed to slip in the powder. Turned out that even after I had my primary replaced and the sled gone over, my clutches were still out of alignment. Might want to take a look at that.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just had complete front to back service done on it and track tension was set up properly. I'm going out tomorrow or Friday for a short ride so I'm gonna have a look at the bearing when I get it off the trailer. Thanks for the feedback everyone! :beer:

So.... what did you find out???

Top Bottom