question about doing the top end in a rev

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the exhaust manifold was a beast to remove. There are 4 bolts that were difficult to access. Can I loosely install the manifold prior to re-installing? It would cut the job in half.

I normally would do 1 cylinder at a time, then install the exhaust manifold. Then I thought of engines with monoblock top ends. In those cases, you are always installing both cylinders at the same time.

bigcobb

Reaction score
I just did this last year and your right the bottom allen head bolts on the manafold are tough to get on once the jugs are in place. The only problem with installing both heads at the same time is u have to roll the pistons so they are level and im not sure theres enough room between the top of the pistons and the upper aluminum bracket to fit the jugs in. I think the piston has to be pretty much all the way down to get the clearance needed to get the jug in there.

What i did for mine was i installed both jugs (separately) then i bought a 3/8" drive socket allen key ( i think its 6mm ) and i just put it on an extension on a ratchet. But u could also cut the short bent part off the top of a long allen key and put it in a small drill or ratchet just the get them in all the way then used a real allen key for the final tighten. This always seems to be the first place an exaust leak develops so when your in there get new gaskets and do it right or u will be in there again.

Hope this helps

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a long allen head socket, the kind with the "ball" on the end. (The whole set is pretty cheap at PA.) Coupled with a wobble extension they are pretty easy to get. Put some Nordlock washers on at the same time

660canuck

Reaction score
Snap-On makes a 9" t- handle allen(5mm), best tool I have used for those bolts. Got mine from CT Powersports.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, I forgot about the round head allen wrenches. I have a set but didn't have them this weekend at my buddies place. The round head would have allowed me to get in there a lot easier.

Top Bottom