QUADS on the IHT

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are these clowns allowed on the IHT in the winter. What is the point of Smiley grooming it. They sure as hell piss me off rutting it up. Buy a sled and use the quad in the spring/summer/fall.:rant:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Morons do that here too, Brew_doo had to chase some off the trail this past weekend.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
They are allowed on the trail. I believe that quads are not allowed on the Trans Canada Snowmobile Trail.

Quads wrecked the Sturgeon River just north of Fort Saskatchewan. It is full of deep ruts.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree but how do you boot them off, quads are are on all the trials or where ever. Quads are bad enough in the summer I live at a lake and pleasure ride on them. It seems to be a pain I sure dont quad as much as I used to because if it.

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The quads have torn the crap out of some of the trails west of Sundre, Caroline area. I think SRD is going to have to step in and make time limits when quads are allowed to travel on designated sled trails. I believe alot of the sled trails west of Sundre and Caroline are designated sledding trails with SRD.

Britt

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Most of the problem is the riders not the machines...when I lived in Lamont we had a bunch of guys on skidoos try to kick us off the trails there with our quads...problem was that section of the trail ran through my buddy's property and he had given permission for the trail to run there and we were not rutting it up...I sled as well and hate to come across ruts however I can also ride trails without rutting them up....for the most part I stay off the "main run" unless it is hard packed in which case I don't rut it anyhow...like I said it's the rider not the machine if a guy goes out and does doughnuts in the middle of the trail HE/SHE is the ass not the machine

smiley1

Reaction score
Quads and Groomed trails don't mix; but that's been around for quite some time now; and I do not want to open a can of worms here; BUT; THIS IS A PROBLEM; we have a select few 'idiots' on Quads that are running up & down the IHT right here in St.Paul which are creating a little havic; burning donuts; digging ruts, and destroying the freshly groomed snowmobile trails; which get's us Groomer operators a little upset....BUT WHAT really gets me upset is that these select few quadders are pushing down steel posts and signs pretty well down to the ground on the IHTand that creates a dangerous situation for 'all' sledders. The Reasoning? Go Fiqure?
Just more work for us volunteers...........most probably the same idiots that burnt down our snowmobile cabin; who knows? :confused:

Smiley :mad:

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quads and Groomed trails don't mix; but that's been around for quite some time now; and I do not want to open a can of worms here; BUT; THIS IS A PROBLEM; we have a select few 'idiots' on Quads that are running up & down the IHT right here in St.Paul which are creating a little havic; burning donuts; digging ruts, and destroying the freshly groomed snowmobile trails; which get's us Groomer operators a little upset....BUT WHAT really gets me upset is that these select few quadders are pushing down steel posts and signs pretty well down to the ground on the IHTand that creates a dangerous situation for 'all' sledders. The Reasoning? Go Fiqure?
Just more work for us volunteers...........most probably the same idiots that burnt down our snowmobile cabin; who knows? :confused:

Smiley :mad:

Sure is frustrating when we volunteers are just trying to make a sport fun for others and a few 'idiots' destroy what we have done. The quad thing is an issue around Whitecourt too Smiley. We feel you frustration.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail Users

Alberta's Iron Horse Trail Supports Multi Users
The trail is open to a wide variety of users. In the winter months, snowmobile enthusiasts will find the trail groomed and there are many local snowmobile-only trails that are accessible from Alberta's Iron Horse Trail (AIHT). While there is no trail pass required for AIHT, we recommend checking with the local snowmobile clubs and/or Alberta Snowmobile Association to purchase passes for other trails. There are many horse drawn wagon treks that travel through the region in the warmer months and in the winter, horse drawn sleighs are occasionally seen on the trail. ATV'ers, cyclists and hikers round out the frequent users on the trail. We recommend users be familiar with the Municipal Bylaws, Off Highway Vehicle Regulations and the Traffic Safety Act. AIHT is a public trail and all bylaws and regulations are applicable and enforceable. As well, Alberta's Iron Horse Trail is an unsupervised, backcountry trail. Plan accordingly and use at your own risk

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw some quads stuck in a valley running next to some active CN tracks a few years ago during a deep snow period. Checked to make sure they were alright health-wise (I could'nt care if they could get out or not) and left them on their own after giving them the finger for F'ing up the sled path.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw some quads stuck in a valley running next to some active CN tracks a few years ago during a deep snow period. Checked to make sure they were alright health-wise (I could'nt care if they could get out or not) and left them on their own after giving them the finger for F'ing up the sled path.

Was this a designated sleds-only trail? If not, then I don't agree with your actions. It sounds just like the horsey people, the hikers, the cross-country skiers, etc. that don't want any motorized vehicles on public land. If the trail was not designated sleds-only, the quads had every right to be there! If one of the other groups I mentioned earlier gave you grief about sledding in the back country because they don't want "noisy, polluting snowmobiles" there, I assume your response would also be the finger because they don't have the right to tell us sledders we can't ride on open public land. The fact is some people cannot afford both a sled and a quad. If the trail was sleds-only, I don't blame you for being p@#$d off. The point is, the Iron Horse is not exclusive for any one activity, so people shouldn't be mad at other vehicles for using it. We as sledders and quadders can't start turning on each other, we need each others' support

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Was this a designated sleds-only trail? If not, then I don't agree with your actions. It sounds just like the horsey people, the hikers, the cross-country skiers, etc. that don't want any motorized vehicles on public land. If the trail was not designated sleds-only, the quads had every right to be there! If one of the other groups I mentioned earlier gave you grief about sledding in the back country because they don't want "noisy, polluting snowmobiles" there, I assume your response would also be the finger because they don't have the right to tell us sledders we can't ride on open public land. The fact is some people cannot afford both a sled and a quad. If the trail was sleds-only, I don't blame you for being p@#$d off. The point is, the Iron Horse is not exclusive for any one activity, so people shouldn't be mad at other vehicles for using it. We as sledders and quadders can't start turning on each other, we need each others' support

AMEN......:beer:

smiley1

Reaction score
Hey there group..being the Trail Steward Coordinator for the IHT; it's not the issue of quads on snowmobile trails; the issue is 'quadders' destroying signage on the trail. The past few weeks I've had problems with a few quadders that are bending over our signs; stop signs; stop ahead; etc.; which create safety issues to all users. And Yes I totally agree that the Iron Horse Trail is a 'multi-user' trail system and Yes; we all have to get along to be able to have these recreational trails in Alberta.......even us Groomer operators :d ....but come on down; I've got most of the IHT Groomed:cool:

That's that for that; Smiley :)

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok

Now I can see the issue. That is just insane. I would not be impressed either. Thanks for the good work and feed back. If any ones knows of these individules feel free to try and correct their behavour for us

I am up by waskatenau if there is ever anything I can do to help please let me know

Harm67

Reaction score
I don't mean to hi jack this thread, but...I am new to this website and this is a thread about the IHT. My question is can i stage in waskatenau on friday leave my truck ride the trail east come back sunday and still find my truck in one piece in waskatenau!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more .I wish i had money to have a sled and Quad

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
The quads have torn the crap out of some of the trails west of Sundre, Caroline area. I think SRD is going to have to step in and make time limits when quads are allowed to travel on designated sled trails. I believe alot of the sled trails west of Sundre and Caroline are designated sledding trails with SRD.

Britt

It is crown land We all have a right to use the trails .No matter what season it is.Who is to say whether or not you or i can use them

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is crown land* We all have a right to use** the trails .No matter what season it is.Who is to say whether or not you or i can use them
How about the volunteers that put in countless hours cleaning and grooming the trails for snowmobiling:rant::rant::rant: It's very frustrating when one quad can make such a mess of all of the time put in by volunteers. It costs around $100 an hour for our club to groom for SNOWMOBILERS to enjoy our trail system.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
How about the volunteers that put in countless hours cleaning and grooming the trails for snowmobiling:rant::rant::rant: It's very frustrating when one quad can make such a mess of all of the time put in by volunteers. It costs around $100 an hour for our club to groom for SNOWMOBILERS to enjoy our trail system.

Pretty sure there are :nono::rant:no groomers west of Caroline.I can understand the frustration, and the time it takes with volunteers to do the work.People should know not to destroy a groomed trail.

Top Bottom