Quads at Etherington!!!

snodawg

Reaction score
:realmad: To those of you driving your quads in the Cataract-Etherington area. Please be aware that quads and dirt bikes are not allowed in these areas. Next time I will record your plate numbers and turn them over to the RCMP with pics. I was especially pissed off to see your tire tracks going right past the no off-highway vehicle sign! Just be thankful I didn't come across you on the trails as I seen your tracks all over the area. I know your areas are being restricted, but please do not destroy ours. I am also an avid 4 wheeler with my CJ-7, but show some respect for the snowmobile community.:nono:

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Well said Snodawg !!!
As the President of the Calgary Snowmobile Club who is responsible for those areas, please don't hesitate to do what you've threatened, quads and dirt bikes are forbidden, I for one would like to see the violators prosecuted !
We don't want the area closed for all because of a few morons !

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Mclean creek sledding yesterday....aside from a few sleds....most folks were on quads...and it was horrible

Although quads are allowed at Mclean.....what was starting out to be pretty decent snow pack for sleds last weekend....was absolutely stripped down to the rocks this weekend by the quads.....and I because of this I wont be able to sled at Mclean anymore.....

no disrespect to quads.....but please stick to your own area's

Please realize that cataract or etherington is sleds only

before....
mcsnow2021_0001.jpg

and after......
dec203086_0001.jpg

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes no doubt quads erode sled trails & areas faster. Agree with heikki that Mclean Creek can be pretty thin after the quads make their mark.

Too bad some are disrespecting area restrictions & closures. I hope they get what's coming to them.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That drives me CRAZY! I have gotten into a few heated umm convo's with quads over this sorta thing. I have a quad and like to ride it just fine, but seriously quads are rode the other 3 season's and should leave the snow alone!! Grrr makes me cranky ! lol

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That drives me mental..... :realmad: .... bring cameras and get plate numbers!!

Masterquadman

Reaction score
I ride both quads and sleds and I agree that you should not ride in areas that are not allowed. However, this story was posted under " Quads at Cataract and Etherington" riding areas and this was clearly not the case. The trail in the photo was of Maclean Creek. We should not be criticizing quads for riding in areas that are legally open to them. I am sure if you went up to elbow loop today there would be sled tracks there already even thought the area is not open until Jan 1. Besides that the conditions in most areas at Maclean are more suited to quads then sleds anyway. (ie. lack of snow, lots of rocks and dead fall and easily affected by chinooks etc...) The amount of quads there on any given day out number the sleds 10:1 for good reason. Furthermore, sleds can cause the same sort of damage with some heavy use of the throttle as the quads. I mean come on we all share the same basic interests and both sides fight hard to keep our riding areas open. If you see someone not following the rules give them s**t or record the plate number. But, don't persacute them when they have done no wrong. It is just bad publicity.
My $0.02.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the pics were of maclean creek, but when i read the original post it looks pretty clear to me that snodawg was in cataract/etherington when he saw the quads.
and, i too have seen quad tracks at cataract.
i'm pretty sure that quads are not allowed in there during the summer either...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Don't make me come out there!!!!

Second post damn near as useful as the first..... keep up the quality contributions....

Just sayin

As far as the quad vs. sled.... if in an area where quads are not allowed, so be it no quads. If it's an area groomed and maintained by a snowmobile club...same thing stay off.... HOWEVER any other area which is good for the goose is good for the gander. the trails back in Hells 1/2 acre we ride both quads and sleds TOGETHER, imagine that. do the quads rut up the trails more than the sleds? yes. does that give us as sledders the right to tell us as quadders that we can't be there. Some folks do not run both types of machines and in that case a quad makes more sense as it is more versitile. we ride the same trails with the sleds and in a lot of cases run parallel offchutes in the deeper snow where a quad won't go. We stop along the trails so the sleds can play out in the fields where the quads can't go.

I've heard people complain about quads on the "No Stergeon Long Slew"....WTF how can you tell someone that they can't be there with their quad because the sleds use it, HHA trails are used year round by the Outlaw ATV club who also hold organized winter ATV runs....

Public lands are public lands "this land is your land, this land is my land" and unless maintained specifically for sleds we need to share the trails, ditches, rivers ect.....

Last edited:

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My post was only meant to show the type of degradation to a snow packed trail...which pertained only to cataract.....perhaps using the mclean photo's was a bit misleading....I do appologize to quaders...

as I stated no disrespect to quaders at mclean or anywhere they are legally allowed....and I must confess that lately I have become a bit of a fan...as I have realized you guys ride 365 days a year...!!!

Top Bottom