Quading in grande cache.

Spanic

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking into going quading up at grande cache for 5-6 days. Can anyone help out where to go to camp out, bush style and be able to ride out to caw ridge and all the nice areas. Any info will help. Thanks a bunch

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto, we were going to go to Crowsnest pass but was told that June is a bad time to go due to snow levels. So we are looking elsewhere. Any info?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great place to ride, we always camp along the highway just north of town. across the river and a few clicks north on the highway there is a big open area on either side. access to Hammel from the west side, you can either ride the ditch to Beaverdam road and head to Caw or go up the Hammel trail a few clicks and hang a left which will take you over to Beaverdam road at about km 5.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanna put that in English Tee? meaning are these highly sought after areas? Are there any touristy things to see? Are the trails good for the wife and my sanity? We are going "girl quadding" as the ladies are coming with us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, in addition to what you have given me. Found another site that said almost the same as what you just said. You have my interest. Thanks. Should we be locking up everything ala Brazeau or is it pretty good up there?

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking into going quading up at grande cache for 5-6 days. Can anyone help out where to go to camp out, bush style and be able to ride out to caw ridge and all the nice areas. Any info will help. Thanks a bunch

Here is a JPG/PIC of a start of the area taken from both my Garmin/ibycus Topo Software.

Bruce G C MT Hammel.jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanna put that in English Tee? meaning are these highly sought after areas? Are there any touristy things to see? Are the trails good for the wife and my sanity? We are going "girl quadding" as the ladies are coming with us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, in addition to what you have given me. Found another site that said almost the same as what you just said. You have my interest. Thanks. Should we be locking up everything ala Brazeau or is it pretty good up there?
Caw is a family friendly trail, my boy rode a Z50R Honda up there 2 years ago at age 9, and last year rode his XR 70. very mellow trail, the ladies should have no trouble at all. I'm not sure what kind of touristy things you're looking for, the scenery alone is pretty awesome especially once you get up top of Caw Ridge, you can see Mount Robson from there. Lots of people go up to the top of Mount Hammel, but it's a pretty haggard trail especially for newbie riders. steep pitches and a few off camber spots with boulders the size of basketballs. as for securing your stuff, in the 10 years I've been riding there we've never had any problems, just take the usual precautions and you'll be fine. If you are coming north on Hwy 40 to Grande Cache, continue through town and down the big hill, you will cross the smoky River bridge. It's a big blue covered bridge with a wood deck, just past there you will go by Beaverdam road on your left. There is a big blue sign at the road showing the map of trails, as well as the green signs that point to Beaverdam road just before you get to it. Keep going past there a few clicks to the camping area, it's a random camp type thing also with a sign stating so. If you hit a gravel pit on your left after crossing the river, you went too far.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the Insight Tee and AB Ranger. By touristy things I was meaning mine tours history stops waterfalls that sort of thing.
:specool:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a left turn you must make to head up to Caw from the beaverdam road, I can't remember the km marker though. I think it's 28....but not 100% sure. if you come to a barricaded bridge you've gone too far, turn around and take your first right heading back. if you keep going past that bridge you will come to a creek crossing where you have to go through the creek, that keeps going to the Copton road.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the Insight Tee and AB Ranger. By touristy things I was meaning mine tours history stops waterfalls that sort of thing.
:specool:
there's plenty of touristy stuff to go see by vehicle around there, I'm not sure about mine tours, but Grande Cache has a pretty good website listing all their local attractions.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like good information on grande cache were heading up there this weekend for the first time and I feel I should be able to find all the good riding spots thanks to you guys.just wondering is the random camping on a creek or river?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on when you get there. Across the road from Pierres Grey is a large random area, however the river crossing is shot from last year I guess. The bridge further down the way is gone too. there is another area about 3 kms from the park that seems ok and it is on the river. If you go through Grande Cache heading North there is another two more random areas at the Beaver Dam road staging area. but they were mud pits when we were there. hope this helps

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stop in at the Museuam/Visitor info place in town. They have a flyer they give out with some trail info.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info , I was thinking the spots by beaverdam road may be mud holes we 've got time tomorrow to look around for a good spot if we have to and ill check the tourist both like suggested.Just hopein for some hot summer sun!

Top Bottom