quadding in parts of the blackfoot area

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the Quading in the Black foot area, but someone had mentioned the 'Iron Horse Trail' north of Edmonton. http://www.ironhorsetrail.ca/ Might be a thought. Appears to be about 300Km of trails. I have been checking in to the Blackfoot for sledding, but can't seem to find any info about ATV's. I should be out there this winter. Will keep you posted, if I see anything.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's some more info on the Blackfoot area. I came across one page that has a quad with a red circle around it and a line through it. :(

Sorry...

uncle_buck

Reaction score
I grew up just south of the Blackfoot we used to be in there all the time was like our back yard now its all fenced we tried to go sledding in there a couple of years ago But were all told NO!!! the trails were now for walking or horse back rideing I understand a buddy I went to school with is now the ranger there so stop in and talk to Greg Elzinga he will have all the info for you. My 2 brother inlaws shot an elk 2 years ago and had to pack it out on foot any way thats what I knew about the Blackfoot things could have changed but I doubt it. (you would not beleive the trails in there)

uncle_buck

Reaction score
Just pulled this map off of Cooking Lake - Blackfoot Grazing Wildlife Provincial Recreation Area Alberta Can See --> It shows a trail from the Central Staging Area to the Waskehegan Staging area. Supposed to be about 17km long. Not a record breaker in length, but maybe good for a small part of the afternoon? The website mentions it only usable with sleds when 25cm of snow pack.

If you check in your first link under hunting MOTORIZED VEHICLES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE BLACKFOOT"

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah... It seems to give conflicting information. The "Winter Trails" link on the Cooking Lake - Blackfoot Grazing Wildlife Provincial Recreation Area Alberta Can website has a page that mentions where and when to go snowmobiling there. I live really close to there and want to take advantage of the trail, if it exists for sleds. I will check into it. Hopefully someone will pick up a phone a the other end.

Cheers!

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to be great little sledding area but lack of snow for so many years we havent been back to the blackfoot area for a long time now.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke to the Ranger responsible for the Blackfoot area. He says the trail doesn't open until there is at least a 30cm base. Apparently they also open up some fields to sledding, which the Ranger says have some nice rolling hills. He did say "They're not mountains, but still enjoyable to ride." Blackfoot is only 15 minutes from my place, so I will be checking it out when it is open to sledding!

Top Bottom