Quad Wont Start

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 weeks old, id bring it back, or get them to give u a new battery, thats BS,
i have an 2006, bought new battery just last fall, so four yrs on stock battery riding in all seasons is pretty good,
little better than 3 wks

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes its electric and you can hear it pumping when you turn the key. I have a question about that sea foam. I see people saying it works like magic and seems like a good product but the quads engine has not even been through brake-in yet so is it safe to put that in or is it better to wait until after the engine is broke in. Also is it fine to break the engine in during the winter at -20 or is it better to wait until it warms up? I just don't want to screw the engine and as you can may have figured out I know nothing about mechanics lol.

I plan on taking it to get fitted with the winch, bumpers etc next Saturday and then wanted to go out Sunday and do the break-in. Please let me know if it is wise to do it in the snow and cold :)

I broke mine in during the winter and didnt seem to hurt it. She doesnt use or leak a drop of oil or anything

gdvross

Reaction score
What I think is a good idea to do when you get a new battery is to fill it with acid and then let it sit over night to make sure the plates in the battery are fully soaked.Then put the charger on at no more than two amps.We use the ctec type chargers and are left on the bikes 24/7 . The last thing you need on a fuel injected atv is a weak battery. Good luck.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It Started :cheering: I put the gas line antifreeze in it and left the battery on the charger for an hour and then I turned it over and instantly it fired up. Thanks so much to everyone who helped :d I will be getting the battery checked and replaced if needed but I think it was a combo of the fuel line freezing and the battery not holding a charge properly.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It Started :cheering: I put the gas line antifreeze in it and left the battery on the charger for an hour and then I turned it over and instantly it fired up. Thanks so much to everyone who helped :d I will be getting the battery checked and replaced if needed but I think it was a combo of the fuel line freezing and the battery not holding a charge properly.
Gotta love it when a plan comes together. Buy the canadian tire c-tec charger and leave it on 24/7 , your battery will last a long.long time

falconblack

Reaction score
So I bought the new quad almost 3 weeks ago I loaded it up on my truck and brought it home and put it in the garage which is unheated. Part of the reason I did not bother to start it until now was because it had barley any gas so I went today and got it some gas and filled it up full. I checked the oil level and it looked fine and then I tried to start it. Following the Polaris manual they say to turn over the engine for maximum 5 seconds and then if it does not start to turn the key back to off position and wait 5 seconds and try again. I went and followed this and after 3 times of trying to start the engine the quad just made a clicking noise and wouldn't even turn over or nothing. I waited 7min and tried again and it tried to turn over but just couldn't do it so I turned the key to the off position and tried again and then it went back to just clicking. I figured ok WTF is going on and I figure battery must be dead. I did some quick searches on the Polaris forums and sure enough the 2010 and 2011 batteries have a problem keeping a charge in the cold. I charge up the battery for a 30min and try again and now it goes back to trying to turn over but still won't quite get there and after a few times trying I kill the battery again and all it does is click. I now have it sitting on the charger and will leave it on there to do a full charge. I figured having EFI quad would start easier then carb that you have to prime. Anyone who has EFI and starts it in winter know why it's so damn hard to get it started? I followed Polaris recommendation that if the quad is having a hard time turning over due to the cold to prime it by turning the key until the pump comes on for 5 seconds and then repeat 3 times and then try to fire it up and still it just wont go! :(
hey man we had an 04 sportsman 600 and we always had a problem in the winter starting it and we just put a battery charger on that thing all night long and it started the next morning perfectly. the only thing is we wore out the drive train on it along with the belt so we got a honda rubicon 500 and it has the cold start primer which makes an ENORMOUS difference. the other thing you can do for the polaris is buy a block heater for it and there wont be any problems at all.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

glad to hear ya got it going. I hate to see/hear about a fellow polaris owner having to stay on the "sideline" due to difficulty or break down now go ride and enjoy the power

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that you got er figured out. The one thing that I'm curious about is all the people saying they have a continuous charge on thier batteries. I've had quads and snowmachines for 35 yrs and I've never had to do this. Just lucky I guess.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that you got er figured out. The one thing that I'm curious about is all the people saying they have a continuous charge on thier batteries. I've had quads and snowmachines for 35 yrs and I've never had to do this. Just lucky I guess.
It's not a continuous charge , it is a battery maintainer, it only charges at 2amps when your batt. needs it. this will make any battery last longer as it doesn't allow your battery to discharge at all. Discharging for periods of time can cause calcification of your plates in a lead acic battery, which in turn decreases cranking amps. If you go on Battery Tender - Home of the Battery Tender Jr. - Batterytender.com I think it is, there is some excellent info there on this subject.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find that my xp won't start if I leave it outside and it is below -20C. I shouldn't say when I leave it out, its more like when the wife leaves it out. I had to tarp mine in and put some heat to it after the wife left it out. Glad to hear you got yours going. I am going to look into a block heater for mine.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
my buddy bought a brand new 2010 sportsman 500, he was havin the same problem just yesterday
Problem w his was 2-3 dry cells, maybe someone didnt fill the acid up to proper levels when it was uncrated and PDI'd?? who knows, two of his cells where completely dry, so no matter how many times he tried to charge it( mofo even left the trickle on for 2 days), it wouldnt go.
Topped up the cells w distilled water and iit started takin the charge.

Plus his starter relay connections where loose! And the quad only had 13 kms/6hrs ojn it.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy bought a brand new 2010 sportsman 500, he was havin the same problem just yesterday
Problem w his was 2-3 dry cells, maybe someone didnt fill the acid up to proper levels when it was uncrated and PDI'd?? who knows, two of his cells where completely dry, so no matter how many times he tried to charge it( mofo even left the trickle on for 2 days), it wouldnt go.
Topped up the cells w distilled water and iit started takin the charge.

Plus his starter relay connections where loose! And the quad only had 13 kms/6hrs ojn it.

That i believe would be the retard that pdi the thing. I would be letting my dealer know cause that's bs.

Top Bottom