Quad trail grooming

Andoo

Respected Military Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you are going to say but it's an ATV(All Terrain Vehicle) but has anyone thought grooming quad trails, especially now with lift kits and knarley tires? There are some trails out Wainwright way and was looking to get out on the trail but be productive for the smaller machines as well. If so, what are you using to wear down ruts?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D4 dozer would. Be real nice
I'd be happy if every group carried a chainsaw an did some clearing of the trails
amazing how many groups ride with out chainsaws

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D4 dozer would. Be real nice
I'd be happy if every group carried a chainsaw an did some clearing of the trails
amazing how many groups ride with out chainsaws

Good point and when we clear a fallen tree it's best to move it away from the trail. Not just leave it too narrow and for everyone to drive over.

Also garbage bags seem to to required lately as we are finding a lot of trash left around..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what you still finding tex's cowastucki parts out there, lol.

dragging harrows over the rutts may help some, probably not practical though.
and yes trees need to be removed from the trails as they can be dangerous.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be tough to find something that an atv or sxs would pull and work at the same time. Most things would be to heavy, and if it was big and tough to pull the groomer it wouldn't fit in the trails. I would think you could build a good drag out of some small chunks of I-beam. We used that at one place I worked for the yard and it seamed to work.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
this is where people need to step up and start trying to get clubs together. Then clubs "steward" trails and take over the maintenance of them.

As Arff has already said when you cut a tree, don't cut it wide enough for your machine, the widest stock side by sides out there right now is 64" so if you cut it at about 72" and CLEAR it OFF the trail, cut it into pieces if you have to. The more we all do to keep our trails in good shape the better we will look to AESRD.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is where people need to step up and start trying to get clubs together. Then clubs "steward" trails and take over the maintenance of them.

As Arff has already said when you cut a tree, don't cut it wide enough for your machine, the widest stock side by sides out there right now is 64" so if you cut it at about 72" and CLEAR it OFF the trail, cut it into pieces if you have to. The more we all do to keep our trails in good shape the better we will look to AESRD.

I truly don't get why people cut trees just wide enough for there quads and stuff to fit through! I always cut them right off the trail and get the peaces cleared into the bush. Nothing worse then cruising down a trail and there's a stump hiding in the tall grass that just catches your tires!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I truly don't get why people cut trees just wide enough for there quads and stuff to fit through! I always cut them right off the trail and get the peaces cleared into the bush. Nothing worse then cruising down a trail and there's a stump hiding in the tall grass that just catches your tires!

you are 100% correct, but we see it all the time. I'm not saying I carry my chainsaw 100% of the time, but when I do have it I will clear the tree's.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
On the multi-use trails in particular, cut them suckers back far enough for the grooming equipment to get through. Yes, everyone is in a hurry these days but if we work together with the trails and respect other users everybody will be able to use them a lot longer.

Tyler has a great point. "Stewardship" is a catch word and clubs/individuals will need to step up so that we can keep the trails we have.

I really feel for the ATV crowd, as that is where the deep closures are going to come first due to the fact that there are more riders destroying the trails than there are riders improving the trials.

Andoo

Reaction score
And if you don't have a chainsaw or saw period, you got a winch. I carry a pully with mine so I can change the angle of pull or double the pull power of the winch. No excuse. And yes, the more maintenance we give to the trails, the more we will look like we want to keep them.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the trail you speak of! I have all but stopped using it because the guys with tractor tires go out when the trail is wet and rip out the grass and then dig ruts and holes. The only way that I can think of to fix that is a small disk. But then all the grass is dead and it ruts even faster And if its dry the dust would get bad. Wood chips would be ideal for a trail but I doubt that's happening.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are 100% correct, but we see it all the time. I'm not saying I carry my chainsaw 100% of the time, but when I do have it I will clear the tree's.

have you been clearing trees west of marble mountain and on the trunk road from 734 to ram falls and at falls creek. if this was you, please stop there are no friggin trees left. lol j\k

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
have you been clearing trees west of marble mountain and on the trunk road from 734 to ram falls and at falls creek. if this was you, please stop there are no friggin trees left. lol j\k

yes, using them for my log home.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, west country trees are disappearing fast, by next year it will be farm land out there,

Megrizzly

Reaction score
The best bet would be a small, but big enough cat like a d4 or 5. Another would be a box type scraper pulled behind a 125hp fwa. Biggest problem isn't the ruts themselves, it's getting to them without burying the equipment.

Andoo

Reaction score
I know the trail you speak of! I have all but stopped using it because the guys with tractor tires go out when the trail is wet and rip out the grass and then dig ruts and holes. The only way that I can think of to fix that is a small disk. But then all the grass is dead and it ruts even faster And if its dry the dust would get bad. Wood chips would be ideal for a trail but I doubt that's happening.

Trail? You mean trails lol. I would be happy just putting along on my quad making others happy. I figure it would only be needed once a month.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if there is a real practical way to groom quad trails, other than a shovel/rake

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mogual Master makes a 4ft x 10 pull behind drag for dirt called a Terramaster. AFI makes a Gravel Rascal can maintain ATV trails also. Just google away Give them a try

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should b fun as long as no rocks or stumps, Was down at Maclean creek. 3 yrs ago. Nothing like 3 to 4 ft ruts

Top Bottom