Quad stuck in gear

oilsandsfj

Reaction score
My quad is stuck out at my friends cabin and I need some help getting it back.

First we almost didn't get it home because it was jammed in neutral. After some rocking, grinding, and a push start it did go into gear and we were able to get home. Now I can't get it out of H, and there seems to be no power transmitted to the wheels. So unless i get this beast moving I have no idea how to get it on a tilt trailer. its got a winch (pos) but its froozen.

Im going to start with the shifter linkage as that has given me grief in the past, but the lack of power transfer worries me. What do I look at next? I think the belt is okay, but I will be lookin at that too. I just have to go prepared cuz the "garage" at my buddys cabin is pretty limited.

Thanks for any suggestions, oh its a 08 can-am renegade.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Sounds like the shift linkage is bent. Try disconnecting the linkage from the tranny and just shift it right from the stub coming out from the tranny. Had this happen to mine. Good Luck.

oilsandsfj

Reaction score
ah could very well be! i rolled er that day too a couple times while jumping. Im going out there tomorrow to check it out.

oilsandsfj

Reaction score
hahaha yeah I though of this, I have friends quad there too, but the clutch is gone, and my truck has a winch but the line is snapped and the remote is @#%^ed... toys are such a headache sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem but for a different reason, I opened the fill plug on the transmission and water poured out - I dunked it in a creek when the ice broke and of course everytime it was cold the water froze and it would not shift.

oilsandsfj

Reaction score
yeah thats not my problem. I pulled apart the linkage and used pliers on the little tab sticking out to no avail. It really doesn't want to budge. When we pushed it into the garage it was in 2wd and the rear tires were pretty much locked up. What the heck am i up against?

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Hopefully not a munched tranny. i'd take it in for warranty(don't u have 3yrs?)
You never know, had a cust worry about a little noise in his trans and turned out when i split the case halves, that a shim/collar had distorted and clip had bent causing the shim/collar to "knick" the h gear on the output shaft. warranty covered all. Now if he'd had continued driving the bike he would of done some serious damage.

Top Bottom