Quad purchase advice

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I see quads are just like snowmobiles and everyone has there own preference. Terry's pricing seems pretty good but I am wondering why no one has said anything about the Arctic Cat quads. I have a few friends that have said good and bad things about them just like all other brands. What are the opinions on AC? Remember this is just for running around on a farm and pushing snow.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I see quads are just like snowmobiles and everyone has there own preference. Terry's pricing seems pretty good but I am wondering why no one has said anything about the Arctic Cat quads. I have a few friends that have said good and bad things about them just like all other brands. What are the opinions on AC? Remember this is just for running around on a farm and pushing snow.

There is no need for anything bigger than a 550 grizzly if that's all you're doing

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a pretty good deal on a next to new Grizzly 700.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You wont go wrong with an Arctic Cat. I have had 5 of them and no problems. A couple that i heard had problems had zero problems with warranty. The are very comfortable and are really simple to clean and service. My Polaris is not even comparable IMO, thats why its the wifes now:rolleyes:!!

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I use an old '99 AC 500 manual four by to push a 5 foot blade and with the 27" swamplite tires this winter (compared to the worn out stock tires last winter) pushes snow very well. Noticed a HUGE improvement over the stock tires, in both traction and the ability to not get high centered on snow piles.....lol

Agree with the opinion with staying away from CVT, manual (IMHO) is far better suited for putting around the farm dragging the occasional implement and snow plow duties.

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
I would say a Honda Foreman 450 is all you need. 400-450 is lots. He is older, so he isn't going to be abusing the quad, You might also think about Fuel Eco. Smaller motor usually means burns less gas (not saying for plowing) Also, think of it this way, He isn't going to be plowing all year round. Only in winter, and then most of the use will be going slow probley make a small trailer for it to haul stuff firewood farm crap. the 400-450cc honda is more then enough. When I lived in Slave Lake AB, I saw alot of old honda's on the trail still going. Just tell him to let it cool down when plowing hard to let tranny cool and maybe change fluid often. Plus you will probley save money buying a smaller quad. Which in turn I would pay to get it inspected by a mechanic so your old man doesn't have to fix anything later down the road.

Fuel Fire

Reaction score
Hate to be like this but the natives around rock mountain house, AB steal quads from my neighbors and me every year. Place an order with them in spring and have one by midsummer. There shouldnt be a problem with getting one, cause the RCMP are too busy with speed traps and check stops for drunk drivers. I bet the price is right...

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this turned out to be a dam nightmare. I guess what my opinion of "good clean condition" compared to some of these guys on Kijiji is different. After 2 deals falling through because of misleading in the shape of a quad I bit the bullet and bought him a new one. Gave it to him early because of the recent snowfalls and to hear a 72 year old man giggling like a little kid when he's pushing snow is priceless.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this turned out to be a dam nightmare. I guess what my opinion of "good clean condition" compared to some of these guys on Kijiji is different. After 2 deals falling through because of misleading in the shape of a quad I bit the bullet and bought him a new one. Gave it to him early because of the recent snowfalls and to hear a 72 year old man giggling like a little kid when he's pushing snow is priceless.
So what did you get him? Yammy?

Top Bottom