Quad purchase advice

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a good used quad for my Dad for Christmas and will be the first to admit I know nothing about these units. He's 72 and retired so I thought he could keep himself busy through the winter by pushing snow around his farm. 300ft driveway so needs some maintenance. What should I be looking for here as far as size and make? Any particular tires for snow or will he need chains as well? What about a snow blade, any advice there? I'm thinking of $6k-$7K so will I be in the ball park? This is pretty much all it will be used for, maybe some running around in the pastures during summer but the quad will never leave the farm so I'm not looking for a serious mud machine. Appreciate the input.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May Dad once had chains on his tires for pushing snow and one of them fell off and did fare bit of damage....Pretty sure you can buy a new quad (500cc) for 6-7k

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
You won't need chains as long as it is a 4x4. If it is going to be used for work, get a Honda, very reliable, get one with EFI. We personally have had hondas and used them to push snow, no problems whats so ever. Now we have Yamahas and they are also very good for snow, last year they got a big work out, blades on two of them. Either way can't go wrong. By the way we use ITP mudlite XTR radial tires year round. A little more aggresive than stock, work just fine. 4x4 important thing.

Last edited:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are buying new buy a Yamaha or Can-am in the 500 range. DO NOT buy a honda. We own 3 and all 3 are broke down in the shop right now with a major(2 transmissions and a motor)

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well looks like a tossed bag here. I was always a fan of the Hondas. Latest one is an 04 all it's used for is farm work. Never seen mud. 5000km. Lots of heavy pulling loads etc. like others have said, that price will get you something damn near new in the 500cc range. A little more aggressive tire for plowing would be good, but nothin with to big of lug.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well looks like a tossed bag here. I was always a fan of the Hondas. Latest one is an 04 all it's used for is farm work. Never seen mud. 5000km. Lots of heavy pulling loads etc. like others have said, that price will get you something damn near new in the 500cc range. A little more aggressive tire for plowing would be good, but nothin with to big of lug.

If i were going with one older like that i'd go 450 foreman actually. I have had awesome luck with my 350 just our last set of 420's and this set of 500's have been absolute garbage.

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i were going with one older like that i'd go 450 foreman actually. I have had awesome luck with my 350 just our last set of 420's and this set of 500's have been absolute garbage.

Agreed, the 450 Foreman are bullet proof. I had one prior to my 500 Rubicon and it also served me well.

van isle

Reaction score

Which year and model 420 did you have?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally would not recommend any belt-driven machine for an older fella (but ATV rookie) to use plowing snow. Stick to something like a Foreman or a Big Bear with gears where he can just pick a sufficiently low gear and push away. I've had snowplows on several higher powered belt drive machines, and I can plow snow like the D.O.T. at mach 90...BUT, I also understand CVT transmissions and their limitations.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A utv will push double the snow an atv will. And you can haul stuff in the dump box.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I Have a Suzuki Kingcouch...I mean Kingquad 750. It's a breeze with a 5 ft blade/winch setup and ITP mudlight tires. Efi is great. My neighbour has a older Forman and it works well. OVDX.jpg

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which year and model 420 did you have?

I have an '08 Honda 420es.....and its been great !!!! Not one issue or problem . I have "Super Grip" Superlites on it and a Moose County Plow and this machine will plow snow like crazy !! I just don't get to rammy with plowin and I look after the basics like oil changes,etc. and my machine has never let me down.
My old Machine ('03 Honda 350es) with worn stock tires and a Moose County Plow worked just as awesome as my '08. My Dad has it now and he still plows laneways and driveways for people and it never misses a beat. Its incredible how snow this machine can push !
We (My Dad and I) love our Hondas !!!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Suzuki Vinson with a foot shift would also be a good option. Stay away from anything automatic for work use. Basically the simpler the design, the better. EFI is nice for cold starts, but definitely a pain in the ass to work on.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a deal on some new 09 550 arctic cat autos.... efi..2/w 4/w drive, diff lock. hi lo range, full independant.... 2 yr warranty with the winch and blade..6500 plus tax... atvs are on our website...ttpowersports.com... any questions fire away... if your dad is 72 you may want to get power steering...is about 800 more depends on the model....

terry

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my advice is if you're going to buy used have it checked out by a mechanic who knows about them. was about to get a used one from a guy around where i live, said it was babied all its life well it turned out to need $2500 worth of work minimum just to be in working condition! (probably closer to $4000) i'm glad a spent the $100 to get an inspection :)

Top Bottom