qaud chains

horton213

Reaction score
I just picked up some chains for my honda 400ex (20inch diameter wheels) from Princess Auto.. they say they will fit a small car.. does anyone know if these will fit on my quad? They were only 10 dollars so i fugured what the hell... anyone ever done this??
Thanks!
Chris

sledneck48

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be too narrow if your rear tires are wide
Just watch that they come far enough down the sidewall or they might slip off and that can cause some carnage

Mud Mum

Reaction score
I have never gone winter quadding...yet...but I've had more than one person tell me that studs are better than chains. If you hit an icy hill you'll slide with chains, with studs you'll dig in.

Any thoughts?
D

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
When running tire chains it's good to have alittle extra weight on the machine other than your :beer::beer::beer: box so there is more ground pressure for bite. Another concern here is if there is to much traction the chances of twisting off an axle is increased.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never run chains on a quad. If you were only going to do 5kmph while plowing your driveway, then fine, but when you get going a little faster, the tire balloons out in the center, which could easily throw a chain off. When that happens, you could lose a fender, lose control, lose a leg, whatever. Studs will provide more traction than you need on ice and frozen dirt. Just my opinion, but they're a way better way to go.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have used chains for plowing snow ,,but thats it...Like the others have said ,,they can wreck chit

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have thought that if you used a few well placed rubber bungy cords you would be ok. Are you using it for traction for plowing? If not then I would have to agree that they could fly off and beat the hell out of your fenders or worse.:shrug:

Crow22

Reaction score
I've tried studs & chains. The studs pull out of the tires when you spin on frozen ground, last out on your ride, the way back to the truck they are mostly missing. They seemed to be good on ice, that's about it. Chains dig in great every where but not on rock. If climbing a steep hill and drive over a large flat rock with one tire (2wd) the quad goes 90 degrees instantly. Speed wise if the chains fit right (1/2 way up sidewall) I've gone flat out with them one. Yes they fly out but the tires do to. Your buddys will point and laugh. The fenders might get a couple scuffs on the under side but the way I drive the tops do too. They do take alot of power to spin them up a hill, but you can go slower & still get to the top. Give them a try, they are fun but different. Crow

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've tried studs & chains. The studs pull out of the tires when you spin on frozen ground, last out on your ride, the way back to the truck they are mostly missing. They seemed to be good on ice, that's about it. Chains dig in great every where but not on rock. If climbing a steep hill and drive over a large flat rock with one tire (2wd) the quad goes 90 degrees instantly. Speed wise if the chains fit right (1/2 way up sidewall) I've gone flat out with them one. Yes they fly out but the tires do to. Your buddys will point and laugh. The fenders might get a couple scuffs on the under side but the way I drive the tops do too. They do take alot of power to spin them up a hill, but you can go slower & still get to the top. Give them a try, they are fun but different. Crow

you had crapy tires if they were coming out. i put mine in my razors and they have lasted 2 winters, a couple fly out but thats it.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode all last 2 winters with my raptor 700 with no studs or chains.. all ya need is throttle and a big set of balls and you can make it most places !

Crow22

Reaction score
you had crapy tires if they were coming out. i put mine in my razors and they have lasted 2 winters, a couple fly out but thats it.

That might have been the problem with the studs. I got a brute force after the chains & now I just put it in 4x4 & pin it in the tuff spots. Cruise right through & keep going. A set of chains was a lot cheaper than a new quad. Might be a fit for some guys that are not in the position to buy another quad.

Robins

Reaction score
Check out the Alberta Endurance Ice Race Association website, as they have information on studded tires.

dozer

Reaction score
let the air out of the tires put on the chains tight then inflate tires,a couple of tarp straps criss crossed on the out side of the tire and giver seen it done many times and ive done it too works like a charm, no slop and the only way they come off is to break one

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lets remember the original question was chaining up a sport quad. DONT DO IT. Just stud your tires. The added rotating mass and size of the chains will kill your power when a box of screws will work better better and you can throw some in your steers and you will be able to turn on a dime. With your tires full of studs there will always be studs on the ground and with chains there is a gap between cross rails. I found that with my studs in i get better traction than in the summer. Ill post some pics in a hour of my tires.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here are my studded tires

Attachments

• studs1.jpg
    studs1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 70
  • studs2.jpg
    studs2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 70
  • studs3.jpg
    studs3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 71

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It took about 2 hours to do I think. I used a cordless drill, you only want toget them snug if you over tighten them they will spin ands pull out faster.

Top Bottom