Pulling a vehicle out of the ditch, your thoughts?

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quote "Good advice. I do agree with you, but where he was it was on a pretty straight stretch of road, I had my 4 ways on, and we also had a van that stopped to help on the one side of us with 4 ways (on the shoulder) and the 2wd Ram in front of us on the shoulder with his 4 ways on. I had him out in less than 10 minutes, hitch to hitch and it went really smooth, I think the only vehicle that came along was the lady that freaked out at me. I have snow tires on my truck and carry chains with me, I also have a tow chain and heavy duty tow strap, so I am usually pretty prepared. I just know what its like to be stuck and how much it sucks to watch 40 trucks pass by you. If I can help I will. They were very grateful and it only took me an extra 10 minutes."

Good job Joey...calls for a self high 5 😊

Sent from my iPad

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quote "Good advice. I do agree with you, but where he was it was on a pretty straight stretch of road, I had my 4 ways on, and we also had a van that stopped to help on the one side of us with 4 ways (on the shoulder) and the 2wd Ram in front of us on the shoulder with his 4 ways on. I had him out in less than 10 minutes, hitch to hitch and it went really smooth, I think the only vehicle that came along was the lady that freaked out at me. I have snow tires on my truck and carry chains with me, I also have a tow chain and heavy duty tow strap, so I am usually pretty prepared. I just know what its like to be stuck and how much it sucks to watch 40 trucks pass by you. If I can help I will. They were very grateful and it only took me an extra 10 minutes."

Good job Joey...calls for a self high 5 

Sent from my iPad

When I had my Ram last winter I broke the front drive shaft and lost 4x4 and got pulled out probably a dozen times in one season

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It slightly depends on a few factor's IMO.(traffic flow, how isolated, hill, corner,ect)
BUT.................... Anyone of you that would leave a person stranded in the winter
stuck in the ditch should be ashamed to call yourself a human being , let alone a
CANADIAN............ World wide we are thought of as friendly , kind , caring people.

As far as the law is concerned, I don't need some blood sucking rich scumbag from Ottawa to tell
me what's right or wrong. Morals tell me what is right or wrong not some stupid piece of paper.

After further contemplation I would like to add the following stipulations.
If they have HID fog light's that are turned on or have tow mirror's that are flipped up I would leave them.
:smiliestirthepot:

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What if they are hauling two sleds on the deck of their (jacked-up) F150?
After further contemplation I would like to add the following stipulations.
If they have HID fog light's that are turned on or have tow mirror's that are flipped up I would leave them.
:smiliestirthepot:

Last edited:

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would only do so if it wouldn't put anyone at risk including myself.
This was one of those instances earlier this winter. The Chevy was pulling on the Ford with no luck so I pulled them both out with the Goat
image.jpg Led light bar, mirrors flipped out and the white Oakleys on the sun visor!

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes flat brimmed cap I might also leave them.Come to think of it,rockstar ,tapout or monster sticker's
in the back window might also make me leave them there.

Good for you for helping a guy out Joey.We all have or will need a hand sometimes in certain situation's.
Pay it forward, someone gives you a hand , you give someone else a hand and we are all better off for it.
We are all on this big rock together, so the nicer we are toward's each other the better the world will be.
( IN THEORY)

General, your truck being a dually is for the most part exempt from the flipped out mirror rule.IMO

Last edited:

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You did good Joey. The lady can go take some stress pills or whatever ladies do to calm down. She sounded like a beotch!

You said it!!!
The little Ranger did good. For a v6 I am thoroughly impressed with it

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Alberta it's illegal to pull someone out without using an amber rotating beacon light.
Most times the RCMP will overlook it as your being a Good Samaritan but in reality they can fine you, or if an accident is caused by you pulling someone out with no Amber Light, count on being at fault.
Wrong.
Beacon is only required if performing a recovery which will impede or disrupt the flow of traffic or if a tow ban is declared or towing is temporarily restricted-which happens often on QEII in winter in which case even tow trucks can't pull people out of the ditch but only clear the roadway.
As I said before, so long as you are to the right of the solid white line or you have the green light by law enforcement to cross onto the roadway in which case he will act as traffic control your in the clear keeping in mind the liabilities and such I mentioned above.
One thing to note is you can only remove the vehicle from the ditch or median. You cannot tow it down the rode unless it is with an approved fixed towing device equipped with auxiliary parking/brake/signal lights.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lady stopping to do the yelling was a bigger safety concern than just two trucks where. I bet she was not even off to the side of the road.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrong.
Beacon is only required if performing a recovery which will impede or disrupt the flow of traffic or if a tow ban is declared or towing is temporarily restricted-which happens often on QEII in winter in which case even tow trucks can't pull people out of the ditch but only clear the roadway.
As I said before, so long as you are to the right of the solid white line or you have the green light by law enforcement to cross onto the roadway in which case he will act as traffic control your in the clear keeping in mind the liabilities and such I mentioned above.
One thing to note is you can only remove the vehicle from the ditch or median. You cannot tow it down the rode unless it is with an approved fixed towing device equipped with auxiliary parking/brake/signal lights.

I carry two sets of triangles and a magnetic rotating beacon in the 1 ton dually truck, plus chains, the tahoe only has one set of triangles and no beacon, but still has chains....and thats on top of the fire extinguisher, first aid kit and survival gear…..

Yes I am a pack rat and proud of it, over the course 42 years of driving, I’ve shared it all several times and they were glad I had it….so it makes it worthwhile to me….

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry two sets of triangles and a magnetic rotating beacon in the 1 ton dually truck, plus chains, the tahoe only has one set of triangles and no beacon, but still has chains....and thats on top of the fire extinguisher, first aid kit and survival gear…..

Yes I am a pack rat and proud of it, over the course 42 years of driving, I’ve shared it all several times and they were glad I had it….so it makes it worthwhile to me….
Nothing wrong with hauling all that stuff one bit. More people heading out of town regularly should IMO. Hell half the guys that run Commercial vehicles required to have most of your list don't even carry it.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in ANY other situation i would say absolutely go nuts help a guy out. but knowing where you were that highway is a death machine without vehicles all over the already narrow shoulders. typically that highway is always a sheet of ice, it has narrow shoulders, there are steep hills, sharp corners, embankments, cliffs,snowdust, fully loaded semis going mach 1 without a care in the world. fully loaded sled trailers, people in regular vehicles, people in regular vehicles that dont know how to properly drive for the conditions, and pretty much no room for error. in that situation you should have offered to make the phone call and get the folks with the proper tools to do the job. they will setup flaggers on each end with flashing warning lights incase of a corner or hill. and they will rotate lanes to make the recovery safe. this isnt backroad alberta where farmer joe hits the ditch and needs a tug or a two lane divided highway with lots of room. you can make that situation ALOT worse. with you on the shoulder towing and two semis in either direction that leaves you about 2.5 inches to spare and if its downhill or around a corner who knows if they have the time to slow or stop or make it past eachother. its just a bad situation and all the variables for bad things to happen are always present on that highway without any self inflicted variables. Leave it to the pros next time please. for my safety and yours. He might have to wait a couple more hours but me, you and buddy are still alive.

Hahaha, if you're single, Joey might be able to find that lady for you. ;)

Top Bottom