pull start for XM

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 XM with e start and I was going to add the pull start. I don't have a hole in the panel for pullcord. Do you cut a hole and put an insert or does it sit behind panel? Anyone have a pic of one?
Thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How hard is the install?

Take off the upper plastics (gauge package, hood, and the piece below the hood, (that might be a little of a frustration the first time), pull muffler and silencer, and there should be three bolts to undo. Then do everything backwards being aware of the little pins in the wiring harness and making sure they do not get bent.

For the first time taking off the plastics, it could be a 4 beer job. But it really is just intimidating and not a difficult process. Good luck.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Odd that these don't come with the pull start from the factory for emergency purposes... My dealer told me not to even use the electric start in the REALLY cold on my Proclimb.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take off the upper plastics (gauge package, hood, and the piece below the hood, (that might be a little of a frustration the first time), pull muffler and silencer, and there should be three bolts to undo. Then do everything backwards being aware of the little pins in the wiring harness and making sure they do not get bent.

For the first time taking off the plastics, it could be a 4 beer job. But it really is just intimidating and not a difficult process. Good luck.

Thank you. It is something to think about.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Odd that these don't come with the pull start from the factory for emergency purposes... My dealer told me not to even use the electric start in the REALLY cold on my Proclimb.

REALLY cold is the reason I have electric start on my proclimbs........

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
REALLY cold is the reason I have electric start on my proclimbs........

He told me that the starter drive is not a direct link to the ring gear, but it's a cable and in the really cold, hes seen them bind and twist up/off. Again, this is just what I was told. Now... I went to the AC accessories page and looked at an electric start option on there, and it's definitely not a direct link, but doesn't look like a cable to me either. I ended up with a 5 year full coverage warranty anyway, so I'll likely use it all the time. I paid for it, may as well use it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
He told me that the starter drive is not a direct link to the ring gear, but it's a cable and in the really cold, hes seen them bind and twist up/off. Again, this is just what I was told. Now... I went to the AC accessories page and looked at an electric start option on there, and it's definitely not a direct link, but doesn't look like a cable to me either. I ended up with a 5 year full coverage warranty anyway, so I'll likely use it all the time. I paid for it, may as well use it.

my understanding was that its an aluminum shaft, I'm grabbing them on Saturday from the dealer, I'll ask them :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Pretty much all bikes and quads are just ES and no pull start option anymore. What about the crank for the old cars? Gone. The times, they are a changing!

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Answer to your question about your panel. You have to cut a hole in it. make a template from one with pull start and use a heat gun and olfa knife to cut it in and there you go or buy a new panel from brp for 140.00

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did each of my sleds in under an hour you can get a plastic rope guide/protector from royal in almost any Color I prob have a spare yellow one here just snaps over the hole you cut can add a riv it or 2 for the Frankenstein look but not needed

Top Bottom