Prop Recommendation

indyguy

Reaction score
What prop would you guys recommend for a 120 VRO Johnson motor on a 17.5' Vanguard F/G boat. Currently have a 13.5x15 on it now. Seems fine but wondering if another pitch would be better.
Use it for pullin the kids around on water toys now mostly and some fishin time for me.

marbleeye

Reaction score
hows it comng out of the hole does it get up on plan fast when your pulling the monsters,whats yor rpm at at full throttle thats the more important thing

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
What prop would you guys recommend for a 120 VRO Johnson motor on a 17.5' Vanguard F/G boat. Currently have a 13.5x15 on it now. Seems fine but wondering if another pitch would be better.
Use it for pullin the kids around on water toys now mostly and some fishin time for me.

We always have ran 17" props for pulling, and 21" if your know you are going cruising. Not sure what the pitch was. But generally small=torque large=speed.

2 boats both outboards

110hp Evenrude V-hull 17'
135hp Mercury V-hull 17.5'

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What pitch are you running now? we dropped pitch size to get more "out of the hole" punch but then when we upped the HP it didn’t work, the prop cavitated bad. I would think a larger prop would give you more torque...more blade to water surface, smaller prop would be more opt to cavitate I would think!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started out with a 19* 3 blade aluminum prop on my 200 Merc. It was terrible...cavitated out of the hole, and in sharp turns. I went with a 21* 5 blade stainless...that works awesome. Huge holeshot, no cavitation at all, but it would pull 6300 rpm with the trim all the way down. I found a used 26* 5 blade stainless...trimmed up top rpm was 5700, but it got a little spooky on the top end...around 75mph. The stainless steel props are expensive, but more than worth it.

tpollon2

Reaction score

Call ACME props. They guarantee fitment. As long as you do not nick it up they will replace it with another size until your happy.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey i need prop help also guys. I have a 2001 Sea Ray 190 BR with a 5.0L merc and an Alpha one merc leg. Currently i have a Mercury Marine Vengance stainless steel 3 blade prop on(48-16316 19P) is what is on it. I wanted to buy a second prop but not sure what to get? I have heard good things about 5 high props. I am not sure what brand and pitch to get?? I use the boat for tubing, waterski, wake boarding and just cruising. WHat you guys recommend??

Top Bottom