Promoting Clubs and Trail Passes(?)

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of people on this site that are dedicated members to their respective sled clubs or, many of you travel and gladly pay the trails pass fees where ever you ride. My question to all of you is, what does it take to get through to some of the Yahoos out there who simply defy the Guys/Gals selling the passes at the trail heads. They refuse to join a club and it appears they simply believe it is their "God given right" to use the club trails and facilities. The poor Gal who is a KSC volunteer had some horror stories from last year about how she was treated by some of the sledders. It almost became physical at times. I volunteered to help out with pass sales but was never contacted. I'm not sure how I would handle A$$holes like that. I'm pretty sure I'd either get my A$$ kicked or I'd wind up with an assault charge. Because of Idiots like this we're having problems getting volunteers to sell passes. What is it going to take to get people educated on why they should join a club and why trails passes exist. And, are there any repercussions for this type of defiance?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I don't think these people are going to change with the system the way it is right now.
If the Gov't would step in and at least make it an offense so you could enforce it, then some might change, but as it it they feel they have the right.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought. Don't groom the trail, and post a photo of the offender and his/her sled at the trailhead.

I know it wouldn't work, but dang would it be sweet if it was doable...

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Posting photos of the offending sleds might just help, there were some people who did a naughty thing and there vehicle photos were posted on the site - a number of Peeps recognized them and felt compelled to address it.
Might just work.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Getting to the point of being confrontational is not good. I remember when Tumbler had their hill climb yrs ago and they had the RCMP at the trail head collecting cash and your liquor...worked like a charm :d The only way to handle a-holes like that is let'm go. I know it's not right but it's also your personel safety of concern here to. Karma has a way of catching up to people sooner or later.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Posting photos of the offending sleds might just help, there were some people who did a naughty thing and there vehicle photos were posted on the site - a number of Peeps recognized them and felt compelled to address it.
Might just work.

Problem with that being that the other extreme will surface...

one extreme feels it is thier right to ride public lands and should not have to pay a fee to do so, they will be rude vulger mean and dissrespectful to the volunteers who are trying to collect the fees....

other extreme feels that the time effort and cost to the clubs and volunteers must be collected at all cost and self rightiously will take it upon themselves to vandalize property or physically assult the accused...

Puts the "poster" of said photo in a liability situation. And not trying to minimize the effect these situations have on a volunteer however there are most often 3 sides to every story, his, hers and somewhere inbetween lies the truth. what if there are outside circumstances affecting the moods & emotions of those involved and things escilate due to tempers caused by emotions rather than the situation itself... problem with self policing is the the two extremes not the 95% occupying the middle...

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
Might just work.

The photo thing is not a bad idea. I feel sorry for some of the crap trail collectors take and often wondered how this could be enforced a bit better.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
The photo thing is not a bad idea. I feel sorry for some of the crap trail collectors take and often wondered how this could be enforced a bit better.

I hate to say this - but bogger has a good point in his reply above.
I just wish some of these people would grow up.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Gov. can provide you with these signs for your trailhead.

DSCF4597.jpg

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have spoken to individuals that complain about a club coming into an area that they have already been riding in for years, and taking over the trail. I won't mention names or the area, but from what I was told, the club, which is located about 2 hours away from the riding area, didn't even know about the area but once it found out about the area, took over the trail and those persons that were using it prior did not appreciate that. I think that may be the case with some individuals. I have spoken before about resistance that some people have with clubs coming into areas they have already been riding in for years and "taking over". I know that if an area I come to has a club maintained trail, I'm fine with paying the trail pass. But I have a cabin in an area that I ride the cutlines and pipeline rights of way, etc. (no groomed club trails) and I wouldn't be happy with someone coming in to the area I've been riding in for years and dictating rules to me. I think both sides have their valid points, but I agree that there is NO EXCUSE for giving the trail pass collectors a hard time, they don't make the rules. No argument there.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is an offense to use the trails without paying when there is a trail collector there. And it is enforcable by the rcmp. I have heard of trail collectors phoning the cops before and they met the people that didn't pay at there trucks at the end of the day.

I would love to know which department of govmnt to contact for these signs.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Our management agreements are with Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts. There has been another shuffle so they may be called something else now. They provided the signs for us, any problems and we record license numbers and make a call.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our management agreements are with Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts. There has been another shuffle so they may be called something else now. They provided the signs for us, any problems and we record license numbers and make a call.

Now there's an idea, bust em as they leave. Coming down the trail to see the RCMP might make people think twice about burning the fee collectors.

jonniebud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put a sign up those that dont pay trail pass will have their tucks and trailers towed and impounded.that way when it happens we can all laugh and tell them and tell them where the welfare office is for being so cheap and enjoy the walk off the mountian .oh by the way the parking lot is not for storage get the sled impounded too as they walk out:eek:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
put a sign up those that dont pay trail pass will have their tucks and trailers towed and impounded.that way when it happens we can all laugh and tell them and tell them where the welfare office is for being so cheap and enjoy the walk off the mountian .oh by the way the parking lot is not for storage get the sled impounded too as they walk out:eek:

Just a few "boots" like used on a trailer to stop it from being stolen would work, but what if you got the wrong vehicle...lol...
Police would be best.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are some great thoughts but honestly, does someone know for sure that clubs have the legal right to take action against offenders. I'd love to do every one of these things and more to these Morons but if we do something outside of our legal right then it backfires on the club. Most clubs can't afford a Liar...I mean Lawyer.:beer:

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
I believe there has to be a management plan in place before the government can be involved.

Top Bottom