Projects Gone South

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just BS ing with a buddy and we got on the topic of projects we've started in the garage that have gone downhill after a "few" drinks and projects that seemed to be a great idea to start after way too many drinks.

A buddy and I decided to install a new plow I had bought for my quad. So we being the diligant craftsmen we are pour ourselves a couple Gibbies and start opening boxes. Once the all boxes have been opened, parts layed out nice and neat, instructions read(briefly at best, because we are "real men" we don't need no stinking instructions) and a few more drinks poured we decide that I'll crawl underneath the bike and he can pass me parts and tools.

After I got all the factory skid plates off he passed me the mounting plate for the plow and told me which way it needed to face... the opposite way I thought I had seen it in the diagram, and insisted when I asked that he was not an idiot and he can read a picture diagram. But I though oh well, he's the one looking at the diagram he must know what he is talking about. Well after a half hour of trying to reposition the plate so that the U-bolts would go over the frame and drop into the plate he got a phone call and I was getting very thirsty for some Gibbies so I skidded out and made another drink. I thought maybe I'll take a better look at these dam instructions and see if I got the wrong plate...No I had the right plate and should've known all along that he was maybe not the best choice to be dictating instructions to me at this point in time.

By the time he was done his phone call and I had finished my drink and calmed down about his lack lustre performance as shop help he got a good razzing and we both had a laugh.

Another doomed project of my garage started out as "performance" upgrades to a friends pocket bike. After many Gibbies we decided we better get work on this thing or we would be unable to finish at the rate we were going.
The plan was to install a boost bottle on this thing by drilling into the intake manifold and running a line into the boost bottle from the hole. Well if you have ever had to do anything to these dam pocket bikes you know how big the parts are and how much space you have to work with. Me having very little patience for these things combined with multiple Gibbies made for interesting adjectives describing the manufacturer of said pocket bike.

We finally got the intake manifold off had a few sips of whiskey and consulted the trusty instructions which told us nothing except what size bit to use. My friend had gotten the idea for this upgrade from someone who had installed it on their bike and he loosely remembered what had been discussed about the installation...Another drink and away we go, drilled the hole and the bit seemed to big for the manifold but oh well the instructions said use this size. We installed the brass fitting for the hose to attach to and began reassembly. Once the manifold was back on the bike there was no room for the fitting and hose without crimping the hose off...so we made a drink and considered our options. It was decided that we would trim the fitting down, see if that gave us the room we would need. Big shocker it did not. Time for another drink and reconsider our options, in the process of making his drink the guy knocked the boost bottle off the bench onto the floor and the end of it broke off( made of PVC pipe ) Well that took care of the plan reconsiderations, so we decided over another drink that we would scrap the performance upgrades for the night and BS and drink in the garage.
A while later and a little deeper into the Gibbies bottle I decided that I was not gonna let this bike leave my garage with nothing accomplished. I thought if I can't make it go faster lets make it sound cooler...so we decided to pull the packing out of the muffler and let it breath a little better. Well it can breath now...man is it loud.

These are just some of the stories accumulated over a bottle of Gibbies with some good friends and playing in the garage.

Now let's hear yours.:beer::beer:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just BS ing with a buddy and we got on the topic of projects we've started in the garage that have gone downhill after a "few" drinks and projects that seemed to be a great idea to start after way too many drinks.

A buddy and I decided to install a new plow I had bought for my quad. So we being the diligant craftsmen we are pour ourselves a couple Gibbies and start opening boxes. Once the all boxes have been opened, parts layed out nice and neat, instructions read(briefly at best, because we are "real men" we don't need no stinking instructions) and a few more drinks poured we decide that I'll crawl underneath the bike and he can pass me parts and tools.

After I got all the factory skid plates off he passed me the mounting plate for the plow and told me which way it needed to face... the opposite way I thought I had seen it in the diagram, and insisted when I asked that he was not an idiot and he can read a picture diagram. But I though oh well, he's the one looking at the diagram he must know what he is talking about. Well after a half hour of trying to reposition the plate so that the U-bolts would go over the frame and drop into the plate he got a phone call and I was getting very thirsty for some Gibbies so I skidded out and made another drink. I thought maybe I'll take a better look at these dam instructions and see if I got the wrong plate...No I had the right plate and should've known all along that he was maybe not the best choice to be dictating instructions to me at this point in time.

By the time he was done his phone call and I had finished my drink and calmed down about his lack lustre performance as shop help he got a good razzing and we both had a laugh.

Another doomed project of my garage started out as "performance" upgrades to a friends pocket bike. After many Gibbies we decided we better get work on this thing or we would be unable to finish at the rate we were going.
The plan was to install a boost bottle on this thing by drilling into the intake manifold and running a line into the boost bottle from the hole. Well if you have ever had to do anything to these dam pocket bikes you know how big the parts are and how much space you have to work with. Me having very little patience for these things combined with multiple Gibbies made for interesting adjectives describing the manufacturer of said pocket bike.

We finally got the intake manifold off had a few sips of whiskey and consulted the trusty instructions which told us nothing except what size bit to use. My friend had gotten the idea for this upgrade from someone who had installed it on their bike and he loosely remembered what had been discussed about the installation...Another drink and away we go, drilled the hole and the bit seemed to big for the manifold but oh well the instructions said use this size. We installed the brass fitting for the hose to attach to and began reassembly. Once the manifold was back on the bike there was no room for the fitting and hose without crimping the hose off...so we made a drink and considered our options. It was decided that we would trim the fitting down, see if that gave us the room we would need. Big shocker it did not. Time for another drink and reconsider our options, in the process of making his drink the guy knocked the boost bottle off the bench onto the floor and the end of it broke off( made of PVC pipe ) Well that took care of the plan reconsiderations, so we decided over another drink that we would scrap the performance upgrades for the night and BS and drink in the garage.
A while later and a little deeper into the Gibbies bottle I decided that I was not gonna let this bike leave my garage with nothing accomplished. I thought if I can't make it go faster lets make it sound cooler...so we decided to pull the packing out of the muffler and let it breath a little better. Well it can breath now...man is it loud.

These are just some of the stories accumulated over a bottle of Gibbies with some good friends and playing in the garage.

Now let's hear yours.:beer::beer:

and the problem is?

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problems, we have just came out with some really funny stories and I thought other people must have some good ones too.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that taking the sticker off the bottle of Gibbies and putting it on the bike is all the modificatons that is needed..
Plus some fun times emptying the bottle first... LOL

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like your style... Every story starts with Gibbies. Cheers to you!

We've got a couple from around the shop... This one isn't really a project, but turned into one.

After a hectic Thursday, and a couple Gibbies, Terry (ttpowersports) decided we should all pack up for the Edmonton Snow Show. So here we are - tired as all hell, loading up boxes, tarping down units... etc.

Last minute we sold the little red Arctic Cat 50cc quad we were going to bring, so Terry - decided we will bring the pink one.

Go to start, no battery... find the battery.... no nuts and bolts... have a shot.... find nuts and bolts... wrong size... smack nuts into place with hammer....have a shot.... they are crooked and stuck.... try to thread the bolt into hole on top of battery post, bolt to big....have another shot.... decide fook it... get a screw driver, carve out post until the bolt fits in.... get battery into unit.... have a celebratory shot... go to start... battery dead......

Needless to say I dont attempt projects with Terry anymore.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We've got a couple from around the shop... This one isn't really a project, but turned into one.

After a hectic Thursday, and a couple Gibbies, Terry (ttpowersports) decided we should all pack up for the Edmonton Snow Show. So here we are - tired as all hell, loading up boxes, tarping down units... etc.

Last minute we sold the little red Arctic Cat 50cc quad we were going to bring, so Terry - decided we will bring the pink one.

Go to start, no battery... find the battery.... no nuts and bolts... have a shot.... find nuts and bolts... wrong size... smack nuts into place with hammer....have a shot.... they are crooked and stuck.... try to thread the bolt into hole on top of battery post, bolt to big....have another shot.... decide fook it... get a screw driver, carve out post until the bolt fits in.... get battery into unit.... have a celebratory shot... go to start... battery dead......

BWAHAHAHAH that's awesome, we have a tradition in my garage when we know stuff is gonna get western and go downhill somebody(usually me) will always start to hum the circus song
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=547QfRJ-yVM&feature=related[/media]
and that definitely sounds like it was playing during that ordeal.

C'mon People let's hear some stories:beer::beer:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So don't buy the pink 50cc AC quad then?

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So don't buy the pink 50cc AC quad then?

Well Summiteer, the modifications might not have been sanctioned by Arctic Cat, per sey, but in the end, the battery was removed and replaced, we just needed it for the snow show!

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this started In the shop then ended in a dugout.

So I got this 1976 boat with a 75hp johnson on it. After tinkering on it for a few days buddy comes over and I start showing him how good it running (little did I know it was only running on 2 cyls) anyway we get the bright idea to take this beast in the dugout. After realizing it will be an adventure we have a drink. Alright time to pull er down the highway to our dugout. Upon arrival we realize there is no gradual drop off, just straight down walls on this dugout...so out comes the bottle and another drink is downed... Well heck now we might as well put it in. So I back the boat trailor in, the wheels drop off the edge, very uneven, water level down more than I realized. So this old boat trailor is all twisted and creeky already so only choice is to push the boat off into the water. Long story short the boat hardly ran, we finished half the bottle afloat on theboat then it took us 2 hours to get it out, bent the trailor all to $hit, twisted the hitch........ And broke the prop because we couldn't entirely get the boat winched all the way on, so when he hooked his chevy to mine which was hooked to the trailor which was stuck on the dugout ledge, something had to give. Boat and trailor came sailing out.... Prop digging a trench for 20 feet before I thought it was safe to stop :)

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can just see two guys leaning on the box of a truck staring at a boat, and a dugout that seemed alot bigger in your head. Saying ahh screw it we're already here might as well put in the water see if she floats:drink4::alol2:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha ha yep and realized at the last second we forgot to
put the drain plug in luckily we remebered or it would have been bad

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surely there are others with similar stories About project attempts/ failures.:cool:

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this started In the shop then ended in a dugout.

So I got this 1976 boat with a 75hp johnson on it. After tinkering on it for a few days buddy comes over and I start showing him how good it running (little did I know it was only running on 2 cyls) anyway we get the bright idea to take this beast in the dugout. After realizing it will be an adventure we have a drink. Alright time to pull er down the highway to our dugout. Upon arrival we realize there is no gradual drop off, just straight down walls on this dugout...so out comes the bottle and another drink is downed... Well heck now we might as well put it in. So I back the boat trailor in, the wheels drop off the edge, very uneven, water level down more than I realized. So this old boat trailor is all twisted and creeky already so only choice is to push the boat off into the water. Long story short the boat hardly ran, we finished half the bottle afloat on theboat then it took us 2 hours to get it out, bent the trailor all to $hit, twisted the hitch........ And broke the prop because we couldn't entirely get the boat winched all the way on, so when he hooked his chevy to mine which was hooked to the trailor which was stuck on the dugout ledge, something had to give. Boat and trailor came sailing out.... Prop digging a trench for 20 feet before I thought it was safe to stop :)

Ha ha....that story has Saskatchewan writte all over it.

Top Bottom