problems with a 1997 700 rmk

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my sled is idaling at 1800 just about dies drops down 2 5,600 but doesnt , also my secondary is kicking in at 4200 is that good or bad , any help would be appreciated , and yes i know buy a yammy or a skidoo or a cat but cant stuck with the polaris till i win the lottery

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Engaging at 4200 isn't bad If I recall my brothers engages at 4500. Have you checked your reeds and boots, they could be cracked

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled, check all the obvious stuff first. Sounds like your just losing 1 cylinder after it warms up? If plugs, cap, wires, spark controller, reeds, boots and carbs are good I'd look at the crank seals. I had a problem with mine that sounds an awful lot like what you describe and it turned out to be the mag side crank seal, had a chunk out of it.

deathtoll

Reaction score
my uncule had one of those and he hated it right from brand new it blew up on him every weekend :( he sold it and got a brand new 1998 arctic cat powder speacial and hasnt had a problem since dont get me wrong i dont hate polaris it just i think the old ones might be not vary relieable :(

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my uncule had one of those and he hated it right from brand new it blew up on him every weekend :( he sold it and got a brand new 1998 arctic cat powder speacial and hasnt had a problem since dont get me wrong i dont hate polaris it just i think the old ones might be not vary relieable :(

Those 97 and 98 700's were some of the best engines polaris built. (And I do hate polaris:d)

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guy will check everything on tuesday let you all know whats going on , very much appreciated the responces

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

kinda sounds like Crank seals bad on PTO side,spray some WD_40 behind the clutch while its running, if it runs faster, seals Gone,
if that doesnt change anything
do a Compression check, that tells all.if one is real low, under 100 and other is about 150, rebuild the motor.
I had a 700 for few years, always changing pistons in it, till I found out the crank seal was bad.after that,it was fine.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are some of the most bulletproof engines ever made. Last year we installed a Vari-Flow on my '98 incorrectly which caused it to run insanely lean. (To the point where I actually beat a 670 in a race. lol) I still put on about 400 miles before I melted down the piston. Amazing reliability in these engines. Before that it had about 5800 miles on it as well.

Top Bottom