Problem

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im having trouble with my sportsman 800 efi Fire it up it runs like crap so i rev it up and can smell fuel like its not burning it and it keeps fowling the left plug any ideas would help

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe water in the fuel??? or a bad plug wire.

If possible pull plug led off and plug the plug and hold plug to ground ( touch it to the quad), just kidding and crank it over to see if plug pooched. Should see a spark. if good check, fuel sending unit and assembly for loose or wet connector(s).

roddy3

Reaction score
Im having trouble with my sportsman 800 efi Fire it up it runs like crap so i rev it up and can smell fuel like its not burning it and it keeps fowling the left plug any ideas would help

Big Red I had a Very Similar Problem, 800 Wasn't Running Proper And Burning Rich. it would foul the plug on The Clutch Side in no Time. Took it in and The mechanic Thought It was electrical, He Couldn't Find a Problem There. he Then Started Did A Leak Off Test. He Found The Valve was leaking. Pulled engine Apart And Found Dirt Between The The valve and Seat. luckily It Had Not Damaged Anything.Cleaned it Up Put it back Together With New Ring's. Then He had Also Found The Plug Cap on Clutch Side Was Torn.Replaced That, And Only $1400 later I was back Running.

roddy3

Reaction score

Big Red I had a Very Similar Problem, 800 Wasn't Running Proper And Burning Rich. it would foul the plug on The Clutch Side in no Time. Took it in and The mechanic Thought It was electrical, He Couldn't Find a Problem There. he Then Did A Leak Off Test. He Found The Valve was leaking. Pulled engine Apart And Found Dirt Between The The valve and Seat. luckily It Had Not Damaged Anything.Cleaned it Up Put it back Together With New Ring's. Then He had Also Found The Plug Cap on Clutch Side Was Torn.Replaced That, And Only $1400 later I was back Running.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks roddy tried the plug wire didnt help shops here are busy for a week so someone suggested tring a little injector cleaner im leaving fri so i will see what happens

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more thing to consider:

EFI Sportsmans with hard to find problems like this are often chaffed wire insolation in the loam(s). The problem seems worse on the MAS harness and IAT harness but all harnesses with three or less wires should be checked.

The cause of this is too few wires in an oversized loam. Dirt gets into the loam an wears away the insulation or vibration between two wires wears away the insultion. Often there is no code in the ecm that indicates a problem and the wrench does not flash on the dash.

The solution is to repair the wires then tape the wires together and then re-install the loam using tiewraps every six inches if possible.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks roddy tried the plug wire didnt help shops here are busy for a week so someone suggested tring a little injector cleaner im leaving fri so i will see what happens

i wouldn't take it to boundary anyway. Probably won't get it back for a month.

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mechanics CAL) last day was friday that place has gone to hell in a hand bag i phone Larry in Vermillion but he is backed up for a week i read my manual last night im going to put some expensive gas in her and some injector cleaner see if it cleans the problem up

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put in the premian gas and some injector cleaner seems to be running good last outing broke front cv another set back

Top Bottom