Probes & Shovel .. Which to choose??

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I need some Probes for sledding, and was considering changing from my one piece shovel (ortovox grizzly; silver and orange) into a 2piece with the blade in the handle.. reading the reviews on the CAC website of a variety of brands leaves me a little confuzzled as to what is 'good quality' equipment.. looking for recommendations of good and bad probes and shovels out there.. TIA

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can say is make sure your shovel is metal not plastic.... and I'm not talking about the handle....just sayin.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've also found that the saw in the handle is kinda worhtless usually! they tend to be pretty flimsy IMO. better off to buy a folding one from crappy tire or walmart. as for the shovel itself, just make sure it's a metal one and not some plastic crap

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Ortovox Grizzley 2 shovel, its been my third shovel and its the absolute best, its no the smallest but is light and the best feature is the blade hinges to the handle, and you can lock the blade at different positions, if you lock it at 90 degrees to the handle you can use it as a scoop and can move a ton more snow faster then actually shoveling.

Attachments

• 1284724869_124.jpg
    1284724869_124.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 220

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Black Diamond Deploy Packs up nice and small and quite Sturdy $65.

Attachments

• BlackDiamondDeploy3shovel.jpg
    BlackDiamondDeploy3shovel.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 209

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a black diamond Transfer 2, comes apart t the handle, moves a fair amount of snow and doesn't take up too much space. So far, it's worked quite well, though I have never used it in an emergancy, just building jumps and such.

I use a black diamond quick draw probe. I find it really easy to deploy, and the end locks in simple style and it works quite well. I intend to get a longer one as mine is a 260cm model, and having a bit more length may come in handy one day. I hope not, but might as well be prepared.

All in all, the stuff works well. I got a package deal on the two for a fair price, though i can't remember what it cost in total.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the SOS shovel with the in-handle saw and for anyone that thinks the in-handle saws suck, just ask my riding buddies when we build a fire....

The SOS saw I have will take down an 8" tree in about 30 secs, I ain't kidding, don't get your fingers in the way because you won't have them anymore. This winter I will take a video when I'm out cutting a tree sometime. Shovel design is average, above average than some in the deep powder but about average in the harder snow.

I use a black diamond quick draw probe. I find it really easy to deploy, and the end locks in simple style and it works quite well. I intend to get a longer one as mine is a 260cm model, and having a bit more length may come in handy one day. I hope not, but might as well be prepared.

I also have a black diamond probe, not the quick draw but the carbon fibre one (forget the name) anyway, I liked the BD the best because of the end lock, no screwing the end cap on, just toss it out, pull the wire and it's tight. Good to go.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have a black diamond probe, not the quick draw but the carbon fibre one (forget the name) anyway, I liked the BD the best because of the end lock, no screwing the end cap on, just toss it out, pull the wire and it's tight. Good to go.

That is the part that is the best. Locking it out is a snap. My next probe will be a black diamond as well. Can't feed a limp probe into the snow after all. :d

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The people with shovels that had longer handles at my AST1 course found it much easier to dig than those of use with shorties. There's probably a happy medium depending on whether your digging down like we did or if your digging into the side of a hill.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have just a standard HMK shovel and an sos shovel but am gonna upgrade to that ortovox grizzly shovel seen one last year and now I have to have it

rgutmann

Reaction score
I use the SOS shovel with the in-handle saw and for anyone that thinks the in-handle saws suck, just ask my riding buddies when we build a fire....

The SOS saw I have will take down an 8" tree in about 30 secs, I ain't kidding, don't get your fingers in the way because you won't have them anymore. This winter I will take a video when I'm out cutting a tree sometime. Shovel design is average, above average than some in the deep powder but about average in the harder snow.

I have the same, saw works great and I use it all time. Can't count how may time I have used the saw but when I needed it works.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Black Diamond Deploy Packs up nice and small and quite Sturdy $65.

I have that saw...I don't think I would recommend it at all for sledding. I thought it would be great, it didn't take long for me to replace it. Now I have atleast 3 shovels but only carry my BCA shovel.

The handle is way to short I find on the BlackDiamond. The idea behind it is great, just not ideal.

Take out a shovel with a longer sturdy handle and shovel with it, then shovel with a short handle and usually you are working harder.

As mentioned, people who have taken AST courses have experienced this with scenario training as well. You need to move a lot of snow in a small period of time and need good digging techniques as well.

And what are you using the saw's in the handles for? They are meant to be snow saw, not for cuttting down trees :confused:

I think what is best is a strong, larger blade that can break through solid chunks of snow, longer, sturdy handle that packs down and a good top handle, either a T that is mounted securely or a D style top.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
......And what are you using the saw's in the handles for? They are meant to be snow saw, not for cuttting down trees :confused:

Exactly! The saw is for snow pits and compression tests. Yes, I know guys use them for trees and bushing but that is not the purpose. They are not built strong enough.

Buy good equipment. Don't skimp on a probe as it may deflect under the snow. Make sure the locking device screws on and not just snap into place. You are looking for "life saving" equipment make sure the quality is good.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think some people are getting a little overboard on the use of a saw like it's gospel "you can't cut a tree with a saw"...LOL

Are all saws not meant for cutting purposes? If you break a saw cutting snow or cutting a tree will you not replace it regardless? Do you even need a saw to cut through snow or could you do it with pretty much any sharp implement approximately 2 feet long? Does the saw know if its cutting snow or wood?

The SOS saws are double teeth design, depending on if you have the Deluxe or the Pro (different tooth design), with a thicker blade, made for cutting. They are thicker and sharper than a lot of the folding saws on the market, so take away from that statement what you want. Do I cut snow columns with it? Yes. Do I cut trees with it? Yes. Is it just as sharp as when I bought it? Yes. It's never given me the slightest indication that it would bend/break/etc when cutting through a snow column or a tree.

After typing this post it kinda seems like a pointless debate about the use of a saw.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for your guys' input so far!

so with probes.. you said make sure the locking device screws not pulls.. therefore the ortovox carbon 240 would be eliminated from the option list??

also.. carbon vs aluminum tubing? 10mm diameter vs 10+mm?

seems 240cm and 10mm diameter is good for the average backcountry recreational user.. and iv been reading about carbon not freezing but aluminum does sometimes?

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all have good and bad.
The fact that you even have the stuff is a plus, no matter what kind it is.
Don't forget the beacon.
There are so many people that ride with nothing.
I will not even ride with people that do not have the equipment.
They carry this equipment like beacons and probes to save MY ass, just like I carry this stuff to save THEIR ass.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly! The saw is for snow pits and compression tests. Yes, I know guys use them for trees and bushing but that is not the purpose. They are not built strong enough.

Buy good equipment. Don't skimp on a probe as it may deflect under the snow. Make sure the locking device screws on and not just snap into place. You are looking for "life saving" equipment make sure the quality is good.

Might I ask why you prefer the screw type? I imagined the screwing type would possibly slow down the rescue, if only by a few seconds. Why not save those seconds by snapping it tight?

Just curious, more knowledge never hurt anyone.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always ridden with a beacon and shovel. I wont step on my sled without it in the mountains. But adding probes and avy bag to my arsenal this year. The better equiped i am the better I can help those and those can help me! :)

and i assume people say screw instead of snap because of the ease of potential unintended unlocking maybe? im not sure so i hope someone gives there thoughts on that

Top Bottom