Pro back shift

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a new to me 2013 rmk pro. Went out to hills yesterday and found that there didn't seem to be a lot of back shift to slow me down when going down steep hills. Coming off a 2010 dragon that as long as clutches were engaged, would keep the speed down. Is this normal for the pro chassis or should I be looking for a problem?

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I know that. That's the problem, when clutches are engaged I'm not getting any back shift

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What were you on before? when I came off my xp to my 2012 pro it took a bit to get used to to get it engaged. but you should definitely notice a difference when its engaged, let er free spool for a couple seconds down hill until it starts to make that whining sound then blit the throttle to bring the rpms up and she well grab hard. I find that you need to free spool at idle for a couple seconds. Hope this helps. practice on a big hill with a good open run out.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What were you on before? when I came off my xp to my 2012 pro it took a bit to get used to to get it engaged. but you should definitely notice a difference when its engaged, let er free spool for a couple seconds down hill until it starts to make that whining sound then blit the throttle to bring the rpms up and she well grab hard. I find that you need to free spool at idle for a couple seconds. Hope this helps. practice on a big hill with a good open run out.

Coming off a 2010 dragon, clutches should be close to the same, just can't get it to back shift like the dragon, tried on a few hills, guess I'm going to be pulling a clutch apart

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try the free spool like i mensioned, i would think the dragon should be close. Dont touch the throttle till you hear that free spool whinning then blurp it a couple times and get the rpm up and it will grab, if not then there might be an issue.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming off a 2010 dragon, clutches should be close to the same, just can't get it to back shift like the dragon, tried on a few hills, guess I'm going to be pulling a clutch apart
What gearing did you have in the Dragon? The new Pro's are 2.09:1 really high so when back shifting it may not be as abrupt as you like. I am running 2.25:1 with aftermarket belt drive and like the change so much that I am going to try a smaller top pulley to give me 2.42:1 Will know results in a couple of weeks.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess your stuck with the gearing combo on a 2013 unless you go aftermarket. I geared my Dragon down and really liked the way it went down hills, rarely had to touch the brake.

Last edited:

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What gearing did you have in the Dragon? The new Pro's are 2.09:1 really high so when back shifting it may not be as abrupt as you like. I am running 2.25:1 with aftermarket belt drive and like the change so much that I am going to try a smaller top pulley to give me 2.42:1 Will know results in a couple of weeks.

Until you mentioned it, forgot I had geared it down a tooth. Really liked the way it slowed down on a slope, the difference just caught me by surprise, an update on your gearing would be good, hope it works out!

Top Bottom