pro 163 track speeds

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track speed and ground speed are two different things. My buddy has a 163 CE on his pro and his speedo shows 40-44 mph track speed. My 162 3" never shows more than 39mph track speed. Yet racing up hill, I will pass his quite easily, in deep snow. The 155 will probably have higher track speeds for sure, but ground speed? Maybe on more set up snow.

bigtvents

Reaction score
I just want to ad my 2 cents, as I feel my track speed is a little low too. 2012 Pro with 162 x 3", 19:46 gears, 13.1 P.A. head, and I've used a couple of different clutch combos for 8000 rpm. Have yet to see over 35 mph in deep powder, usually about 33 mph (corrected for driver size). Figured with this combo i would see high 30's. Love this sled and track, with my only disappointment being in steep climbs where I've been slightly beat by stock 2012 Pros. I'm about 240 all geared up, but figured this track would make up for any extra weight I'm packing. A lot of money spent for minimal gain at this point.

catgod

Reaction score
my sisters boyfriend has a 2012 pro 163, said he pulled 60mph in deep snow. so i called bullch!t, seeing as its stock just like my 2009 m1000 162 sno pro ( has a can thats it) and i only pull 53mph

might be that im only 140 pounds :p
figured he must be in km/h , hes around 230 before gear

sidsuz

Reaction score
Try some 11-62 weights in the primary and a derlin washer in the secondary and you should gain 5mph your dealer can help you out.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with track speeds reported here, i just dont see a three inch track doing much, other than being a tractor and lugging its way to the top, need to be in the 50s as a minimum track speed with the three to start having it perform

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with track speeds reported here, i just dont see a three inch track doing much, other than being a tractor and lugging its way to the top, need to be in the 50s as a minimum track speed with the three to start having it perform

If all you do is highmark, then yes, you need more track speed. For tree riding, the 3" track works very well even at lower track speeds. I can attest to what glassman said in his post. Both our sleds have the same PA 13:1 head and 19/46 gearing. He has the 162 x 3 and I have the stock 163 x 2.4. My sled will consistently pull 5+ mph faster track speed, but lower ground speed.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and that makes sense, when the etec was bone stock, the three inch was more forgiving in the trees, and climbing it was beeter than the stock track but track speeds were only around 46mph, and you could literally here the track speed slow down as you climbed

then the added traction of the three inch crumbled the rear stock skid much quicker and became more of a handful in the steep because of excessive skilift...i would not add a three to a stock etec again from my exsperieces

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright guys. I'd like to take another look at this thread cause I feel like the 2012 Pro 163 I bought this year is a little low for what its got done to it. I'm seeing 40mph max and usually 38-39mph with a 13.6:1 PA head and HPS can, 19t top gear and stock which I think is a 45t bottom. I'm running the stock 2.4" track. I haven't looked at my clutching yet but I was told it has 68 gram belly busters and stock spring in the primary with carls clutch kit in the secondary (not sure what that entails). I'm seeing 8100 spike dropping to 7900 rpm on longer pulls at 6000' elevation. I like to dial in my own clutching but haven't found the time yet and wanted to hear whats been working for others first. I'm about 190#'s + gear. Thanks in advance. This sled also runs a BOSS NOS system which was giving me up to 8400 rpm for the couple climbs I tryed it on this trip and forgot to check track speed (there was a leak coming from the fitting at the NOS bottle so I closed the valve til I have a chance to figure out where from). So I'd prefer to keep the rpms around the 8000 mark to allow for the extra when on the button.
Also the brake is dragging all the time, can hear it whine. Air in the line? needs to be bled or what? Already ground a little off the lever to make the park brake easier to lock and hoped this would help but no luck.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its seems a bit weird that the Pros are getting such low track speeds. Not trying to brag here, but i consistantly get 51-52 mph track speed with my dragon. I do have the fix kit and a pipe, and programmer....etc. but with the Pro being 50 pounds lighter that should put them on even playing fields. My gearing is 19/42 and it holds 8250 all day. Plus i run a 163 peak 2.5.

Just seems wierd that there not pulling better track speeds than 38-39 mph.

Does the Pro just make that much less HP? Maybe i wont be upgrading next year.

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've rode both dragons and pros for a few days before and they run the same track speeds... track speeds with change with snow, rider weight, temperature and of course track specs... keep in mind that you can not compare two different sleds track speeds unless you ride them both the same day on the same hill.... Also to gain 5 or 10MPH is quite a feat that would take probably 30hp or so...

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dragonweld28. 50-52 is big track speed for a 800 Polaris. I'd say you got that thing dialed in. How do you like the Peak track? I went back to factory 5.1 because I felt it couldn't get up on top of powder snow but with another 12mph track speed just curious how its working for you.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Dragonweld28. 50-52 is big track speed for a 800 Polaris. I'd say you got that thing dialed in. How do you like the Peak track? I went back to factory 5.1 because I felt it couldn't get up on top of powder snow but with another 12mph track speed just curious how its working for you.

Well, personally i think the stock track is horrible. i built 2 dragons with all the same motor work, and mine has the peak 2.5 and the other is stock. Doesnt matter what type of riding we do, ill always come out ahead of him. It hooks up WAY better if there is a bit of a base, and in 3 feet of pow it pushes way more snow and i pop up on top of the snow quicker. Keep in mind that it did take a bit to break in. The track is quite stiff but after 600 miles already this year it seems to have a bit of bend in it now and works really well. At first it did feel like it trenched to much but now its awesome!!

Well 174mcx, if they were both stock then yes they would be aout the same. I have a fair amount of work into mine and with proper gearing and clutching it wont take 30hp to get an increase of 12 mph track speed. With that being said, i have the PMS fix kit, with 138 psi per cylinder, vforce reeds, PC5 with the SLP stage 3 tune and a SLP pipe set. I also switched out the power valve springs for lighter ones, which allows the power valves to open up properly. I have the SLP blue pink spring and belly buster 64 gram weights in the primary and run 19/42 gearing. I havent had it on a Dyno, but it makes alot more power than a stock dragon forsure, (not even close to 30hp), more like 15 or 16hp.

Ill put a video up tonight with a little pull from over christmas. I dont have a camera on the gauge but you can see how strong these dragon run when there set up properly!!

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummm, not sure about the rest of you guys, but when I am talking track speed, I mean on fresh, untracked snow. I could rip up a packed trail at 55 mph on my 3" Pro easily too.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well the first bit was packed but if you listen to the rev's of the engine they don't drop when I get to the powder, it's just keeps pulling awesome track speed. Sorry if the video was good enough for you, I'll see if I can find a better one.

Jeffpro800

Reaction score
Hey Ben imagine that same power in a chassis that is 50 lbs lighter and handles like a dream! When you get one you'll never look back!

snobyrd

Reaction score
I'm a lite weight at 155,I got a 155 13 pro, in deep bottomless sno, flat or climbing, no track poaching, I'm getting 41/42 mph and that's it, I call bs on numbers higher than that. I rode a XM in same condtions and it was 39mph, my 2011 m8 was 42-43 mph and the newer PC appears to be aluttle stronger.
i have a tbo m8 as well, on 5 psi I would get over 50 mph, so any pros claiming 50 mph in pow is hogwash

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its not a pro and its not stock. You should read everything before you think its hogwash. Are those sleds you rode all stock? What if they had 16 more HP and proper clutching and gearing, don't you think they would be around the 50 mph? a stock pro makes maybe 146 hp, enough said.

Top Bottom