pro 163 track speeds

spitfire340

Reaction score
Just wondering what other guys are getting for tracks speeds on a climb in deep powder, i was getting 39-42 mph last year and would like to get a bit more(as always). Be sure to list what you have done. Mine is geared down one tooth but otherwise stock. Thanks.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what other guys are getting for tracks speeds on a climb in deep powder, i was getting 39-42 mph last year and would like to get a bit more(as always). Be sure to list what you have done. Mine is geared down one tooth but otherwise stock. Thanks.

Getting the same as you are with stock gearing and a can. I'm sure good clutching would be key, but I'm not sure where to begin.

Sent from my eYefone using Tapatalk

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be sure not to compare the track speeds of a 155" and a 163" and expect them to be the same. However it is all relevant knowledge.

spitfire340

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, i am going to be trying the pa head and hps can shortly and adding some weight to the primary and see if i can get a little more. 45mph with the 163" would be awesome!

H2O

Reaction score
Last year stock 163" 10-62 weight ran between 39-44mph track speed (8100-8300 rpm) depending on the snow conditions. This year brads head and HPS can only one ride so far heavy snow pulling 10-64 weights ran 7950-8150 RPM . Track speed was 40-44 mph..... I think in a dry powder day should see 45+ mph ... Hoping.

spitfire340

Reaction score
Thanks H20, i am wondering if extroverts and a looser track would get the speed up a bit, i cant believe polaris runf those old school drivers!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year stock 163" 10-62 weight ran between 39-44mph track speed (8100-8300 rpm) depending on the snow conditions. This year brads head and HPS can only one ride so far heavy snow pulling 10-64 weights ran 7950-8150 RPM . Track speed was 40-44 mph..... I think in a dry powder day should see 45+ mph ... Hoping.

Does the head work in a different powerband? Just wondering why the drop in rpm and different weights.

r2d2

Reaction score
I put the avid drivers in last month and it was quite a pain.First when your ripping and tearing down take the gearbox out completely and don't take one inch of the stab portion of the rail take two and move your limiter staps back as well down the rail and in the end you'll get track flapping on the tunnel and I haven't noticed any advantage in track speed. should look at the turbo I quess

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cant believe polaris runf those old school drivers!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with those "old school" drivers. If you're not running huge hp (turbo or big bore) and maintain proper track tension, you'll never have a problem with ratcheting. Before I got my '12 Pro, I ran an '06 RMK 900 making an honest 170 hp with stock drivers and it never ratcheted.

r2d2, if your track is rubbing/flapping on the tunnel, it is too loose and robbing you some track speed. Tension it to spec.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Last edited:

leanburn

Reaction score
i just bought a 163'' and my buddy bought a 155''. i'm only getting 35mph and he gets 40mph. the 155 is making my sled look stupid. i actually had to poach his track a few times to make it out of some chutes and even poaching i would barley make it out and he broke 3ft of fresh. there was a 2010 rev 154'' that i have rode with last year when i ran my cat and i made that think look silly last year, now we are dead even. i think im looking to trade someone rails and track.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 163'' and my buddy bought a 155''. i'm only getting 35mph and he gets 40mph. the 155 is making my sled look stupid. i actually had to poach his track a few times to make it out of some chutes and even poaching i would barley make it out and he broke 3ft of fresh. there was a 2010 rev 154'' that i have rode with last year when i ran my cat and i made that think look silly last year, now we are dead even. i think im looking to trade someone rails and track.

That's why my D8 is a 155. Track speed!!!

leanburn

Reaction score
yeah, i was the guinea pig, no one in our group has ever had anything longer than a 155, but i have seen the cats and doo's climb better with the 163's but there is considerable power difference.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well just rode Golden the last couple days on my 12 pro 800 155 track speed in 3 ft Powder was around 37-39.
On firm snow she would see 40-41. Sled is STOCK. with 200ish miles on it. Noticed belt not coming all the way to the top of clutch no matter how i drove it..
Looking to gear down.
Anybody already gear down this sled? What did you end up at for track speed/gearing??
Was belt coming all the way up on primary??

wont get a chance to get back to hills for atleast a couple weeks.

any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well just rode Golden the last couple days on my 12 pro 800 155 track speed in 3 ft Powder was around 37-39.
On firm snow she would see 40-41. Sled is STOCK. with 200ish miles on it. Noticed belt not coming all the way to the top of clutch no matter how i drove it..
Looking to gear down.
Anybody already gear down this sled? What did you end up at for track speed/gearing??
Was belt coming all the way up on primary??

wont get a chance to get back to hills for atleast a couple weeks.

any help greatly appreciated.

I just got back from golden too actually have a 2011 pro 155 stocker and i get 44-46mph in the deep 37-39 is quite a bit lower. not pulling rpm?????

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from golden too actually have a 2011 pro 155 stocker and i get 44-46mph in the deep 37-39 is quite a bit lower. not pulling rpm?????

well i tip the scale at 220 plus all my gear.

Is this after a long pull and holding it? Or is this the initial spike ??

Rpm is 8000-8100 on a long hard side hill pull or a straight up.

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That might be the difference then im only 170lbs, but on a long straight pull id be 8050-8150 which is lower than id like to be but still good.

BruteCamo

Reaction score
Well, seein about 36-38 mph on bone stock 2012 163. I'm 2 bills before gear. Not goin set any speed records but this thing just keeps climbin and climbin....
What can a guy expect to see by dropping a gear or some clutching?

Top Bottom